• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M7 speedo troubleshooting

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Need some help from the Cat guys!

Helping a buddy with his sled, a 2005 M7. When he bought it the speedo didn't work. He rode it that way last year, and about a month ago bugged me again to help him get it fixed so we tore into it.

Turns out it didn't even have the speed sensor in the DD, so was hoping it would be an easy fix. Ordered up a sensor and pulled the DD, always a good opportunity to change the fluid while we are at it, and figured it would be a good idea to make sure that it actually had the trigger magnets inside seeing as it was missing one part already and I didn't want to assume anything. Jam it all back together and a short test ride later…. hmmmm… nothing.

So… a couple things I am hoping to find out:
1. how to verify the sensor itself (I have a graphing meter, I know someone will ask)
2. if that fails to uncover anything (which it should with a new sensor) then the next step would be to verify the wiring?

Sorry for the long winded post, but I figured I would just answer all the questions before someone trying to help has to waste their time asking them! :)

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Sure did....

Sorry shoulda followed up with another post.

I was fearing an electrical problem but the real issue wound up being with the magnets inside the diamond drive.

Along the way I did put together a procedure for testing the various parts and components in the circuit. If anyone needs help with this in the future feel free to PM me.

Premium Features