• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1000 with Alpha Components

B
Jul 16, 2024
Idaho
Hi all, just joined the forums.

I’ve been doing some summer shopping for a sled hoping to find a deal on an older mountain sled to mod. Came across an Artic Cat m1000 with alpha components. It has an alpha skid and track as well as all of the front end suspension components. Guy who is selling supposedly bought it that way and doesn’t know much about it. Has anyone ever heard of an m chassis having alpha parts on it like this? Would it help the handling or make it worse? Looks like the front end was cut on a small amount to give extra clearance.

Let me know your guys thoughts, cool idea but have never seen or read anything about this.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I remember seeing a picture of an M-series 3-4 years ago where someone was trying to make it happen with the alpha skid, but it sounded like there were some fitment issues to iron out. Not sure I'd want to get one from someone that didn't do the work and could explain everything that was done. The Alpha track/skid shines in fresh snow, but can get tougher to ride in setup snow or where there are old tracks underneath. Part of the beauty of the M-series was that it was a really good all-around platform. I feel like the alpha takes away from that.

The front end needs more explanation. The front suspension from a proclimb/ascender/alpha does not bolt up to the M-series bulkhead. Like not even close. Alternative Impact sells a 36" a-arm kit for the M-series which would match the ski stance of the new sleds. Someone may have cut and re-welded the stock arms to a 36" stance.

gp800

Premium Member
Sep 25, 2017
Not my sled, just posting the photos to provide some more context. Looking closely at it, it looks like someone has grafted some of the Proclimb bulkhead onto the bottom of the M bulkhead?
IMG_0927.jpegIMG_0927.jpegIMG_0928.jpegIMG_0929.jpegIMG_0931.jpegIMG_0930.jpegIMG_0932.jpeg

M
Feb 22, 2009
Saw that on FB... Really a hack job, was priced way over it being used for parts.... and I wouldn't want to try and ride it in the hills

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Interesting try. Should just stick with bulletproof Proclimb chassis. Way stronger bulkhead, no Diamond drive and crappy no parts secondary to deal with. 12 years of interchangeable parts too.

Premium Features