• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

LT on a 300XC???

Stock for stock the 300s are quicker and the 450s will out climb them very slightly in a long strait up climb. Of the 30-40 people I ride with I have a sxlt, 2 are short tracks and the rest are all LTs, LTs rule the mountains! Every track will get to the same place but they all do it differently. I run 13-18 gearing, I think most of the stock bikes are running 12 tooth with LTS, it works fine but first gear is pretty worthless. When you start talking about a modded 300 the difference is pretty drastic, I can pull the 450s with mods easily. It takes about $1500 to make a 300 haul, about the price of exhaust and oil for a 4 stroke... haha This year in my main group of 20 or so riders there will be 6 of us on 300s and there will be a handful more going that route when they replace their current bikes, they flat work, cheap to maintain and they can't be beat for dirt.
You said about $1500 to get a 300 to rip. What mods are you talking about?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

To make a 300 rip is easy, port, head, SX ign, pipe. I did a 300 SX kit from KTM and have Gorr port the cylinder then you have enough parts for a summer XC build and a winter animal SX build. Pipes are all over the board, I run FMF some on here run the scalvini others the pro circuit... all are good and I don't think the seat of the pants difference is much on any of them. FMF sponsors all our local and national endure race series so its an easy choice. Oh and get a carbon pipe guard.

I can't recommend a halflink in any circumstance, there is a reason no one makes them anymore.... I ran the 12 for fitment and changed my lower case gear to get the right amount of track roll out. I can look up where I ended up when I get a minute.

To make a 300 rip is easy, port, head, SX ign, pipe. I did a 300 SX kit from KTM and have Gorr port the cylinder then you have enough parts for a summer XC build and a winter animal SX build. Pipes are all over the board, I run FMF some on here run the scalvini others the pro circuit... all are good and I don't think the seat of the pants difference is much on any of them. FMF sponsors all our local and national endure race series so its an easy choice. Oh and get a carbon pipe guard.

I can't recommend a halflink in any circumstance, there is a reason no one makes them anymore.... I ran the 12 for fitment and changed my lower case gear to get the right amount of track roll out. I can look up where I ended up when I get a minute.
What FMF pipe are you running? I have a gnarly on right now. Great bottom and mid but seems to fall off hard on the top end. I may have a fatty kicking around somewhere.

What FMF pipe are you running? I have a gnarly on right now. Great bottom and mid but seems to fall off hard on the top end. I may have a fatty kicking around somewhere.

I've never been a gnarly fan for the 300, I think the 2015 pipes got rid of the top end drop off, you definitely want your motor to run all the way out. I just run a fatty on mine, seems to work good. Or if you can find a take off OEM pipe its basically the same.

My 2 cents. I've ridden them all. 300's, 450's, 500's (both 2 and 4 stroke) - all on each kit.

The 300 is a fun bike when on the pipe - but I had to be on the pipe to move. If not on the pipe, it'll lug down and quit. Being on the pipe is fun and all but do you really want to have to be on the pipe 100% of the time to get anywhere? A LT makes that issue even worse.

At least with the 450 you can lug it around.

This winter I'm trying out the CR500 ported, milled, etc. So far - absolutely loving it! It has the best of both worlds, tons of power, and it can lug around too if you want to.

I know the 300 lovers are going to disagree with my opinion, but that's just what it is, another opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

In no way am I telling you to not try your 300. Please get it in the snow! No matter if you have to be on the gas all day or not, you will still have fun and with some time you can formulate your own opinion and make changes or not. Just try something and get out and enjoy the sport!

For me, the ST is the best way to go because of it's maneuverability, float-ability (over the SX), and now jump-ability with the TSS and 20" of travel. The LT is great for big snow days but I don't have too many of those throughout the season - and the LT has more ski pressure, which I don't like - and it doesn't jump as good... I like the ST/TSS - CR500 setup so far. As for the CR500 part, I've only had two rides on it so we'll see how it pans out this season. So far I'm loving it though.

My 2 cents. I've ridden them all. 300's, 450's, 500's (both 2 and 4 stroke) - all on each kit.

The 300 is a fun bike when on the pipe - but I had to be on the pipe to move. If not on the pipe, it'll lug down and quit. Being on the pipe is fun and all but do you really want to have to be on the pipe 100% of the time to get anywhere? A LT makes that issue even worse.

At least with the 450 you can lug it around.

This winter I'm trying out the CR500 ported, milled, etc. So far - absolutely loving it! It has the best of both worlds, tons of power, and it can lug around too if you want to.

I know the 300 lovers are going to disagree with my opinion, but that's just what it is, another opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

In no way am I telling you to not try your 300. Please get it in the snow! No matter if you have to be on the gas all day or not, you will still have fun and with some time you can formulate your own opinion and make changes or not. Just try something and get out and enjoy the sport!

For me, the ST is the best way to go because of it's maneuverability, float-ability (over the SX), and now jump-ability with the TSS and 20" of travel. The LT is great for big snow days but I don't have too many of those throughout the season - and the LT has more ski pressure, which I don't like - and it doesn't jump as good... I like the ST/TSS - CR500 setup so far. As for the CR500 part, I've only had two rides on it so we'll see how it pans out this season. So far I'm loving it though.

I would agree with this... I have a lt on a cr500 and also own a 300... I would not want less power for sure ... Also I wish I would have went with an st... That being said you have to realize our riding is 7000 and up so we loose a bit of hp..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features

Back