• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

LT on a 300XC???

J

Jake7000

I have a 2015 Timbersled ST on my 2013 KTM 300XC with a few mods (SX head, Gnarly Pipe and Shorty Silencer, Avid Carb Heater) and looking at upgrading to an 2016 LT. Is this a mistake? Timbersled says there are a few guys out there that have done it but there not sure how well it worked.

A few guys last year swapped from ST's to LT's on there 4 strokes and it was a big improvement getting around in the steep country. I was hoping to see the same on a 300.

Is anyone riding a 300 LT? Whatcha think???

I ran a 137 2" on a modded 300. Worked great. Gearing still needs to be perfected. I am now using a 129" 2.5". I would go that route on your 15 if it was me.

I ran a 137 2" on a modded 300. Worked great. Gearing still needs to be perfected. I am now using a 129" 2.5". I would go that route on your 15 if it was me.
Were you running a 12 or 13 tooth front sprocket? Last year I was geared way to low with the recommended 12. 1st gear was a joke. Also am I the only one that had issues with the strut bar length? Timbersled sent me 2 different ones and both were too long. I shortened one up but I still have alot of ski pressure compared to other bikes Ive rode and more vibration from the track can be felt through the seat. I also seem to trench much easier than the other bikes. Not sure if thats because of me being a light a$$ (170 lbs) and the track spins up so fast on the 300 or if the angle is off.

I ran a 13. 12 is a joke. They do it to make the chain fit. Have to use a half link to make the 13 work. I also have a custom made 19t in the chaincase. This year I am using a sx 5 speed close ratio tranny and figure I will gear as high as I can pull. I know what you mean about the ski pressure. I think tss is going to be the ticket!

How are they running against the 450s with the LT? Are you running a 13 tooth sprocket like chumbilly mentioned or do you think that gearings to tall for LT?

My 300 xcw ST runs right with the 450s. love the bike so far
Are the 450s you're riding with running ST or LT? I couldn't believe the difference between the ST and LT on the 4strokes climbing up through the steeper country. Night and day difference.
Timbersled about talked me out of the LT on a 300. Said it may bog down the bike and take some of the 2 stroker light zippy fun factor out of the bike.

I personally do not like the LT. Too long for me and im only 165 lbs.
Just got back form a 3 day trip in Revy so had some good time to compare
All short track bikes in my group

Are the 450s you're riding with running ST or LT? I couldn't believe the difference between the ST and LT on the 4strokes climbing up through the steeper country. Night and day difference.
Timbersled about talked me out of the LT on a 300. Said it may bog down the bike and take some of the 2 stroker light zippy fun factor out of the bike.

It may take some of the zip, but for steeper riding 120 doesn't do it for me. takes more power in the soft spring days but when its deep its worth it.

How are they running against the 450s with the LT? Are you running a 13 tooth sprocket like chumbilly mentioned or do you think that gearings to tall for LT?

Stock for stock the 300s are quicker and the 450s will out climb them very slightly in a long strait up climb. Of the 30-40 people I ride with I have a sxlt, 2 are short tracks and the rest are all LTs, LTs rule the mountains! Every track will get to the same place but they all do it differently. I run 13-18 gearing, I think most of the stock bikes are running 12 tooth with LTS, it works fine but first gear is pretty worthless. When you start talking about a modded 300 the difference is pretty drastic, I can pull the 450s with mods easily. It takes about $1500 to make a 300 haul, about the price of exhaust and oil for a 4 stroke... haha This year in my main group of 20 or so riders there will be 6 of us on 300s and there will be a handful more going that route when they replace their current bikes, they flat work, cheap to maintain and they can't be beat for dirt.

Last edited:
part of the reason i like the short track better is that i have a turbo snowmobile for the deeeep days:face-icon-small-win
What!?#! Well, that's a pertinent piece of information! :-) okay, if you didn't have a sled would that change your vote on running a long track?

If I lived in Revelstoke yes. Haha. Southwest mt, the short track rocks for me! Just more enjoyable for 90% of our snow conditions

I run one of Mtn-Doo's ultimate 2014 300XC's with an LT. Best decision ever, definitely out pulls the 450's. My buddy rides a modded crf500 and the only time it outshines is in a long pull when you come off a little and then realize you want more. The 500 revs back up because it's a torque monster...the 300 will do it but as long as I don't Sally out and keep her pinned I'll be just fine.

Stock for stock the 300s are quicker and the 450s will out climb them very slightly in a long strait up climb. Of the 30-40 people I ride with I have a sxlt, 2 are short tracks and the rest are all LTs, LTs rule the mountains! Every track will get to the same place but they all do it differently. I run 13-18 gearing, I think most of the stock bikes are running 12 tooth with LTS, it works fine but first gear is pretty worthless. When you start talking about a modded 300 the difference is pretty drastic, I can pull the 450s with mods easily. It takes about $1500 to make a 300 haul, about the price of exhaust and oil for a 4 stroke... haha This year in my main group of 20 or so riders there will be 6 of us on 300s and there will be a handful more going that route when they replace their current bikes, they flat work, cheap to maintain and they can't be beat for dirt.
Sounds like 300 long track is the way to go in the steep and deep! As far as mods, what else do I really need to do?

Can anyone tell me where I could buy a half link? Dealer here says they haven't seen them in 8 years!?!

I had my 30 xc-w on an ST and a LT. About 6 rides on each kit.
Similar setup with sx head and fmf exhaust.
I'm in SE BC and my preference for the 300 was the ST. In settled snow they were pretty similar. In deeper snow I found it to be working the bike way harder with the LT. Just seemed to work better with the ST imo.
That being said I normally ride a 450 with a LT and prefer that for my style of riding.

Premium Features

Back