• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Loud Exhaust On Snowmobiles... Is there a place for this anymore?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

WaBackcountry

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Orondo, WA
I may not have a whole lot of room to talk here because im running a BMP powder lite thats loud as anything. I do personally think that it is obnoxiously loud. Especially once the outlet is up out of the snow. I chose that can for my new pro out of loyalty, ive always had BMP products. I am environmentally friendly, or try to be as much as possible. Taking care of the trails, volunteering on clean up days. But i still run it, MAINLY because it saves me about 6 to 8 lbs. If another manufacturer came out with a can that saves 6 lbs was quiet as stock, and had proven numbers on HP I would turn back in a heartbeat. Everyone here is on this "quest for zero" trying to make their sleds feather light... The can is usually the cheapest and easiest way to lose the biggest amount. I say lets push the challenge on our parts suppliers: SLP, BMP, HPS all of them... Of course their going to find something else to complain about once the noise is gone, but their list will get smaller and smaller...

If you are really concerned just remove the can and eat one less burger a week. 6 pounds is a joke. Do you really think you will see a performance difference with 6 pounds. No way.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Loud

Dirt bikes were loud, now we can't ride them most places we used to go.

Choice is simple: Quiet with places to ride, or, loud with no place to go because the gatekeeper shut you out of your place to ride.

Almost anywhere you ride you are somebody's guest: Either the Federal government or a private land owner. All have the power to exclude you with the stroke of a pen!

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
If you are really concerned just remove the can and eat one less burger a week. 6 pounds is a joke. Do you really think you will see a performance difference with 6 pounds. No way.

They make cans that are light, quiet, AND make power... this doesn't have to be a "one or the other" like some on here are making it sound like.

My turbo was nice & quiet when I got it, then as the packing left it got loud... I sure didn't gain power with the packing being out... it just gains NOISE.

Cutting it open & putting packing back in this summer... no need to be the loudest jacka$$ in the parking lot.

It amazes me how many people in this thread are just completely dense... this isn't a complex idea.

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Gallon of gas = ~6.03 lbs Weight savings of most cans = ~6-8 lbs

After riding a stocker for a few years, I've grown accustomed to burning off 1 gallon of fuel to make up for the extra weight of the stock can. There are great choices for quiet aftermarket cans available, but I would say there is no place that a rider with just a can has gone that I haven't been able to make it to stock for stock. SLP's new single pipe/can combo is a perfect example of how aftermarket systems should be. Almost as quiet as stock with actual beneficial HP gains. There is room for growth in the sport as far as weight and performance, but sound is a top natural enemy to our effort. If it's gotta be loud, keep it on the race course or leave it home.

P

prairiepowderhead

Sep 1, 2008
Prairie
This is all rediculous, The federal government is supposed to be for the people by the people. Last I checked the goverment is full of voted in representitives of the people. Note I said voted in. That means they are employed by the poeple. You pay your taxes right? that is there paycheck. SO in fact they work for us correct.

I think that that is the problem with America these days, Poeple have forgotten that it was founded by the people and that the poepl created the government. Not that the government allows the poeple to vote. The poeple allow the government to be voted on. This is not a comunist country YET, so that means if we dont like something then we have the right to fight to change it.
That is what makes us American.

I have a turbo with a straight pipe coming right out from under my seat, and I love the sound of it full throttle up a chute, and I thank god every day that I live in a country where I am not told Where I can ride and What I can Ride. GOD BLESS AMERICA, AND HELP US THROUGH THE NEXT 4 YEARS

silverram323

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Cambridge, MN
www.beyondsynthetics.net
Ok.... I see your point..... but.. I'll throw a spin on things...

Why is it ok for Harley riders to have bikes that are so darn loud they can be heard from MILES away, when 1/2 way across my town on the hwy?Why are they allowed to be loud?

Most high performance machines are loud for a reason...... less restriction.

However, if you do some research.... vehicles with a shorter / no "muffler" exhaust off of a TURBO are actually fairly quiet, in comparison to their supercharged or N/A counterparts.

110dBa shouldn't be considered "rediculous". I know that a concert hall is a LOT louder than that. Shoot, a BAR is louder than that.

I have loud exhaust on my Harley because some people cant seem to SEE ME, BUT THEY CAN HEAR ME. Its is for safety 100% for me, i wear ear plugs.

Last edited:
Reactions: sledhead_79

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Can?

I want one that has a good sound, not too loud, lasts forever, top performance at all rpms, doesn't burn side panels and underhood components, is cheap to free, easy to install, passes all federal and state regulations so I do not get a ticket at the trail head, is quiet enough I can sneak up on critters so I can see the wildlife. Do not care about weight as the sole criteria because I can sh*t 5 pounds to improve my power to weight ratio. Have been told my choice impacts where me and all my budds can ride now and in the future. Guess my choice is stock!

Noise is the only item with staying power legally that anti-snowmobilers have on their list of legislative gripes. All other items - snowmobiles win on legal challenge (other than current Wilderness areas). Why push a bad position that has such severe negative effects?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I want one that has a good sound, not too loud, lasts forever, top performance at all rpms, doesn't burn side panels and underhood components, is cheap to free, easy to install, passes all federal and state regulations so I do not get a ticket at the trail head, is quiet enough I can sneak up on critters so I can see the wildlife. Do not care about weight as the sole criteria because I can sh*t 5 pounds to improve my power to weight ratio. Have been told my choice impacts where me and all my budds can ride now and in the future. Guess my choice is stock!

Noise is the only item with staying power legally that anti-snowmobilers have on their list of legislative gripes. All other items - snowmobiles win on legal challenge (other than current Wilderness areas). Why push a bad position that has such severe negative effects?

I found the Dynoport Barker is a nice sounding can. Not tingy and loud. Sound stock going down the trail. It does have a throaty sound under heavy load...but in the powder it's not hardly any more loud. In spring snow, the sound carries a bit more...but it's no big deal.

Don't need ear plugs, but I had my in-the-ear buds (they act like ear plugs) in one day and my ipod was on pause...it sounds REALLY good with the ears plugged. LOL

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I have loud exhaust on my Harley because some people cant seem to SEE ME, BUT THEY CAN HEAR ME. Its is for safety 100% for me, i wear ear plugs.

i agree ive heard loud bikes near me and couldnt see them, but they shouldnt be riding in people blind spots, and im an aware driver, I dont care how loud your bike is, my wife will run you the **** over if your in her blind spot.

we have a 6 lane freeway in town, blows my mind the people that ride in the middle lane on the left of right.....you cant lane block both sides of you in the middle lane!

theres too loud, and setting off car alarms and rattling stuff in my house when you fire up your bike is too loud.

H
Nov 21, 2012
OK... I'll start up a nice "HOT" topic that, IMO, needs to be discussed more... especially as we see more and more lands getting closed to sled access.

Non-Snomobiler impressions of snowmobiles are being directed by some people that primarily show loud exhausts in videos etc to ruin the public image, of snowmbile riders and their machines. Non sledders/offroaders outnumber sledders/offroaders by a Gargantuan margin.

"They'll have to pry it out of my cold dead hands" ??? Well, "they" just might:face-icon-small-fro

And "they" wont just be granola crunchin greenies... I've met plenty of card carrying, large carbon footprint, ultra conservatives that could give a rats azz about sledding and find them to be very irritating... so lets not make this into a Conservative Vs. Liberal thing.

Loud exhaust does not equal "PERFORMANCE"... It just makes you feel that your sled is making more power... compared to a Well Designed quiet exhaust. You can design a quite exhaust, be it 2 or 4 stroke, to make just as much power or more than a straight exhaust...It just costs a bit more.

"Screw the Greenies... I'll run as loud of exhaust as I want to!!" is actually "Screwing" ourselves as snomobilers....

I like the sound of a nice loud engine running in good tune...Weather that is John Forces funny car or a good running MX bike.

But we live in a shrinking world today

What sounds "Sweet" to you can sound really BAD to others.

Look at it this way... if you were sitting in your living room, with your best buddies, watching the Superbowl on your new surround sound equipped 50" plasma TV... beer is flowing / steaks on the grille...... and in the middle of the second quarter....the neighbor kid and 6 of his buddies decide to "tune" their chainsaw-engine powered Go-Peds for the next 2 hours, on and off ...with straight pipes..... Would you sit down and say... "Heck, junior has the right to run what he has....I'll just turn the volume up a bit"

OR

You are fishing a great little trout spot... and 6 loud dirt bikes decide to ride there while you fish...

OR....

You are hunting and somebody keeps ripping buy in their modded turbo RZR for a while and scares off that prize 12 pointer....What would happen?

Others may say "Well that analogy doesn't apply to me....I only ride EXTREME backcountry and there are no other people around"... Is that ACTUALLY true??? Do you live and ride in the Yukon hinterlands?? Can no one else hear you... when you unload in the lot, or take the fire/logging road to get to your favorite spot??? If you really can say yes to this... then you are in the 0.05% of the snombilers out there.

"Loud pipes save lives"... That dog just don't hunt anymore... that excuse has far too many negative consequences to it.

IMO, Loud cans/stingers or straight Turbo exhausts are bad for the public image of sleds...
Those that ride with loud pipes are causing more damage than just "pizzing off a hippie". They are taking away from the future of snowmobiling in the backcountry....

Radar guns, speed limits on trails with Police watching....boy, that sounds good!

Bad public image of snowmobiles...even from people that are NOT 'greenies' starts a chain reaction from other people that don't care if motorized access is closed.

It is sad to say... but the PUBLIC OPINION will decide weather or not we have sledding access in the future.

We don't need any new people that want to take away sledding access.

Manufacturers that make loud exhaust products are actually hurting, IMO, their own long-term ability to make a living off of snowmobiles...if sledding areas keep getting closed at the rate they are = big problem.

FLAME AWAY!!

Blow it your rear I run straights and I love it. No can just ear plugs with triple straights thanks.

H
Nov 21, 2012
Just kidding I really hate loud pipes just obnoxious, and like many have stated trails get closed down and it is ridiculous. Up in Vt a lot of the trails that I would use to get fuel are gone now. Trails through town are closed, trails to town are closed and fuel is getting harder and harder to find now. I have seen signs that this trail is closed due to loud snowmobiles so go figure. It is crappy.

J

jlong0319

Jan 31, 2013
North Idaho
Your statement that loud pipes dont make more power is false to an extent. Twin pipes on any sled will make more power then any single pipe designed or that can be designed. The way you tune an exhaust is by its length and flow diameter. In order to make a single pipe that could perform as well as a twin pipe you would need to extend the length, most chassis dont allow enough room in order to do this. When you use only one pipe for each cylinder you dont need as much length to get the right tune. Before making remarks such as that maybe you should do a little more research.

Also running a turbo on pretty much any 2 stroke eliminates almost all room for a muffler that would be capable of doing anything. And if anyone would like to tell me my turbo doesn't make more power then there single piped quite sled, come ride with me.

A

alexhack

Nov 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
My sled is what most would consider loud but the difference is that I'm considerate of the area I'm in. In populated areas I don't rat bag my sled, I take it easy. These are areas like staging areas, main trail heads, backcountry cabins and around town. Once in the backcountry it really doesn't matter too much in my mind. I respect that people don't want to hear loud sleds rippin around all day around their homes and places of business. But the backcountry where sledding is popular it's going to be noisy and not a big deal. If you're looking for peace and quite around popular backcountry sledding areas, you are looking in the wrong place. But what it all really boils down to are the retards that rat bag their loud sleds with no consideration of where they are. All it takes is a little consideration and less people would get pissed. But there will always be the people that can't ever be pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BikerPepe`
Premium Features