• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Losing weight

F

f15ejedi

Oct 6, 2008
Anchorage Alaska
900 RMK with 151
A friend recommended drilling holes in the track to lighten it up a little. Has anyone done this with any success? Does it ruin the integrity of the track?

Apr 11, 2008
there are a few Componeys that do it for there mod sleds CMX for instance i think they save like 7 lbs or sum thin someone else may have better figures

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
Its called porting the track. I know it comes stock on a lot of sleds now. It doesnt save much in the way of weight, I think like 1.5 pounds. What its supposed to do is reduce rotating mass, which effects balance characteristics. Ive heard the down side is poor waterskipping. thats it in a nutshell. There is a lot of stuff about track porting in the performance part of this site.

I
Nov 26, 2007
increases track flexibility as well, so much so that I wouldn't do it unless you're running extroverts, my drivers always wanted to skip over the drive lugs unless the track was super tight, which seems to defeat the purpose.

A
Nov 30, 2007
alaska
Its called porting the track. I know it comes stock on a lot of sleds now. It doesnt save much in the way of weight, I think like 1.5 pounds. What its supposed to do is reduce rotating mass, which effects balance characteristics. Ive heard the down side is poor waterskipping. thats it in a nutshell. There is a lot of stuff about track porting in the performance part of this site.

but 1 pound of rotating mass in equivlant to 7 lbs stationary.

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
That is a whole other topic for discussion. The 7 lbs deal totally depends on how far away the rotating mass is (i.e. rear wheels vs. jackshaft). If you remove everyother clip from the track(leave the guide clips) you will save 2-3 lbs depending on track length and pitch.

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
haha i was hoping you made that up Nick lol.

Wanna lose weight on that 9, get a can and SLP airbox if you dont already have that. What year 900? 05?

With an slp airbox and can youll save like +/- 25lbs.

I dont own this sled but i spent some time riding with an 05 900 fusion, and he did these things and he said it was noticable when taking the "whoops" :rolleyes: He also was big on the bearing saver he had because he had some crank issues before Something too look out for i suppose. hope it helps:beer;

Last edited:
A
Nov 30, 2007
alaska
Yea it happens too the best of us. I dont even think i could have come up with a ratio or percentage to cope with that call on stationary weight!.

All right, I will have to give it a try now that you said something LOL

If the object spinning weights<140grams at a speed of > the 5000rpms, you /by pie rounded to the neast hundred thousands. The it would be 1lb= to 7.5lbs. However if it weights>140grams, then 1lb=7lbs :D

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
hmmm, only reason i passed my last 2 years of math was my teacher was a female gear head, loved mustangs, and i brought her a chocolate race car on Easter.. Soo all of that went over my head lol.

B
Feb 12, 2006
Eagle River
Just ported the track ~ will keep an eye on the track tension and make adjustments as needed.... didn't do it so much for the weight loss (I could go on a diet for that) but did it for less rotating mass and better cooling - seeing as how there is no longer a snow flap.

Last edited:
F

f15ejedi

Oct 6, 2008
Anchorage Alaska
Thanks BlondZ. I think I'll leave it for this season and see how it does. First season with this sled. (05 900 RMK 151) I've heard the 900's have a problem with cooling though I don't ride trails much except to get to the bottom of the mountains. Then we only ride powder. Someone recommended scratchers to help throw more snow up while on packed trails.

Premium Features