• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking to Upgrade my Mountain Sled - Help Please

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I am 5' 10" and weigh 170 pounds. I'm not a super rider but, I do ok. I have an 09 M8 153" Sno Pro. It now has a 2.6" Powerclaw, MDS weights and a SLP Stage III kit installed. The sled is dialed in and works very well but, it's getting a little long in tooth and I am itching for a new sled. I will of course keep it around as my backup sled.

So, here is what I am thinking.

I love the look and feel of the new Pro Climb on the showroom floor and with the sled having the last year of the very reliable 800 Suzuki, it's certainly a contender. The 2012 version wasn't so hot from what I have read. The 2013 was much better and lost 15 pounds and the 2014 is even better and another 17 pounds lighter. But, is it really better? The 2.6" Powerclaw just works and this just might be the sled?

The Skidoo XM really has me excited as well. I love the fit and finish of Skidoos (second only to Yamaha in my opinion) and the idea of having an 800 ETEC motor under me really trips my trigger. I haven't ridden a Skidoo since a REV in 2005 for a few minutes (just didn't feel right) With the XM, I can't take the 2014 color scheme, so a 2013 left over in Orange or yellow appeals to me. I think I would buy a 154" X model if I could find one, but an SP would be fine, I guess. Right? I also like the 3 year warranty as well.

The Polaris Pro looks like a great sled. I took advantage of the Polaris test drive the least couple years and rode a 800 Pro 155" for a day each time. They are light and I love the belt drive and how the clutching just seems to work but, for some reason the sled just doesn't seem to speak to me, if that make sense. I just didn't feel like home on the sled. Then there is the engine performance and reliability compared to the other options. What am I missing here? I really want to like this sled. The weight savings alone have to be worth something?

So, it's tough to decide on a new sled without riding them. The answer probably is to bug my buddies to ride their new sleds this coming winter but, then I wouldn't have a new sled this winter.
I am trying not to be a brand loyal goon. I started out on Skidoos, rode Yamahas for Years while hating Cats. Now I am on a Cat and can't believe I like it. The only Polaris I have ever had was a XCR 120 for the kids.

So, please share your 2 cents.

Last edited:

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
back in the 90's when bng's were the norm for new sleds being brand loyal was no problem. but now with manufacturers making a new chassis every few years being brand loyal is just silly. i'd pick the one you like the best and not worry about who made it...

Rinker

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
CO
I'm a die hard cat guy but I would go Doo on my next sled. I got a chance to ride the new XM and it handles way different than the old XP platform. I couldn't get off the XP fast enough a couple years ago but felt very good on the Doo XM. I have always liked the power of the Doo's as well. My lineup would be 1. Doo. 2. Cat and 3. Poo. My $.02.

Sandman is right- I would take any of them today. Cat, Doo and Poo all make great sleds.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Rinker, you nailed my order of preference as well.

The problem is, I just don't know why? Call it my gut?

Heck, I don't know but, I am sure interested in all of your opinions.

I know they are good sleds and in the right hands any of them can do amazing things.

T
Nov 26, 2007
Canadian Prairies
Have a M1100T right now, and also had a turbo Nytro. Had 12 Pro RMK (SLP) last year, and love the chassis but not the power. Demo'd a M800 for a couple of days, and much more power then the Pro and was fun to ride.

This year I will be on a Pro turbo/Pro BB or a M800 stock/turbo. It's a toss up, the Cat engine is bulletproof and the Pro is not (in stock form that is) both handle well.

Never rode an XP/XM but lots of buddies love them.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks for the info Yamaho.

I would really like to ride the 2014 Pro Climb and the 2013 or 2014 XM back to back in boondocking conditions. That would tell me everything I need to know. I wish it could be done virtually somehow. :face-icon-small-ton

M

madsigntist

Dec 19, 2007
Lehi, UT
www.summitsigns.biz
I rode my 05 Rev for a couple of years and thought it just couldn't get much better. Switched to a M and couldn't believe how hard I'd been working on the Rev. loved my M, better by miles.
Never liked the XP, and I tested a few.
Demo'd the '12 PC and it made me want to get back on the M.
I have only ridden 4 stroke '13 PC's. So no fair comparisons because of the ridiculous power. Weight is just to much for a light guy like me.
Demod the XM and I was sold. Rode light, power was awesome, and I couldn't wipe the grin off for days. Snochecked one shortly thereafter. Sold the M.
Go for the XM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rixster
C

catrider800

Jan 9, 2008
Albany, MN
After 5 years on the old M chassis it took a few days to get used to my 13' Pro Climb High Country. After I did, I cannot get back on an old M without it feeling huge. I have ridden a new Pro and an XM last year. The Pro was a nice sled, light, less power than the Cat, but what it has it uses efficiently and works well. I would say most Cat guys could get on a Pro and get comfortable with it fairly quick. The XM on the other hand is totally different. I could not get the sled to do anything I wanted it to do and the laydown steering feels weird to me. To be honest, I only rode it for an hour or so and didn't care to ride it anymore. My friend who had an M rode it the whole day and had the same opinion. Maybe a few days would have made a difference, but the XM handling seems to be either loved or hated. Based on what your coming from with the mods I would recommend a 14' Proclimb especially if you plan on modding it like your old one. Lighter, better clutching and gearing than 12' and 13' and the 800 HO has more hp than the non HO in your 09 stock and as you know takes to modifications very well. There is not a bad choice among the three as they are all great sleds.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I also want a new sled and I feel the same way.
I luv my M its the best all around sled that can do it all.(especially down hill sidehills)
the Pro can sidehill the steepest slopes but lacks in the power department and boondocking. (The Pro overheats to easy too)
XM has good power, boondocks well, sidehills all right but its still wide and rolls over to easy on the trail.
the 13 proclimb LE was the most fun boondocking sled I have ever ridden! It climbs well also. Pounds the moguls like no other sled ive ridden too. Its a heavy sled that does not like steep sidehills! (Snow did NOT stick to the running boards at all)

If all the 'issues' with the proclimb have been resolved with the 14 that would be my first choice.
if I went with polaris it would have to be the standard rmk so it wouldn't over heat all of the time.
I like skidoo but I think they need one more yr of refinement before I can consider it.

C
Jan 18, 2004
Merrill Oregon
I also want a new sled and I feel the same way.
I luv my M its the best all around sled that can do it all.(especially down hill sidehills)
the Pro can sidehill the steepest slopes but lacks in the power department and boondocking. (The Pro overheats to easy too)
XM has good power, boondocks well, sidehills all right but its still wide and rolls over to easy on the trail.
the 13 proclimb LE was the most fun boondocking sled I have ever ridden! It climbs well also. Pounds the moguls like no other sled ive ridden too. Its a heavy sled that does not like steep sidehills! (Snow did NOT stick to the running boards at all)

If all the 'issues' with the proclimb have been resolved with the 14 that would be my first choice.
if I went with polaris it would have to be the standard rmk so it wouldn't over heat all of the time.
I like skidoo but I think they need one more yr of refinement before I can consider it.

We never had any overheating issues with our 2012 and 2013 Pro RMK's. When ever we hit hard snow most of us put our scratchers down though. I did get a chance to ride a 2012 Pro Climb last year and while it rode nice down the trail I did not like the off trail handling much. Trenched more than it should also blew a belt in the 40 miles I rode it and just felt heavy compared to my 13 Pro RMK. It did not have any of the 2013 Cat updates though and what I am told would of helped quite a bit.
I do hope cat has something up there sleeve for 2015 like a boosted Nytro engine with good yamaha clutches a better refined chassis and under 500 lbs.
I can dream cant I??:face-icon-small-hap

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Great advice guys!

Cat Freak probably has the most sage advice!

"Just don't get in a purchase hurry".

However, by the time I get a chance to test all the 2014 models it will be past mid season and then I will want to wait around to see what's released for 2015, so I don't regret buying a 2014 sled.

I did that in 2010 when I bought an 09 right at the end of the season (because they were nearly giving them away) and then two weeks later they introduced the H.O. motor. Yes, I kicked myself and hopefully learned from it.

Right now I am wrestling with myself trying to figure out if I should stop with the scheduled mods on my M8 (lightweight brake disc and lightweight A arms) or just save all the mod money for a new sled?

However, I found out I will more than likely be involuntarily retiring at the end of this year and I will have a LOT more time to ride but, maybe a new sled isn't such a good idea at this time?

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
You had better ride them all before you pick one. They have all changed a lot in the last 2-3 years. All of them are light years better than the M chassis, which IMO was a great chassis in its day. I have a 12 PC, liked it better than the M, but was disappointed that it didn't seem ready for production. I have ridden an XM and it was way way better than the Revs. I did feel out of control, but it wasn't the mankiller a rev is. I hate horizontal steering. Jumped on a Pro and felt right at home. It is easy to go between the cat and pro.
It really boils down to where you ride and what you like to do when you ride. All three have strengths. The pro is the boondocker and sidehiller. XM is a heck of a climber. The cat is somewhere in between.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I would say I am a boondocker. I don't care whatsoever if I get the highmark.

I appreciate a super lightweight sled that takes little energy to control and anticipates what I am thinking thereby making what I am do look easy. That sounds a lot like the Polaris but, their reliability and lack of power just doesn't work for me.

Ryan-41

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Cheyenne, Wyoming
www.myspace.com
Considering that you would be coming off of an M-Series, I feel like the Cat and the Pro would be the easiest to get used to and excel quicker on. Like others have said, The Doo's both XP and XM are either you love it or you hate it. Personally, I would go for a 14' Cat, they have IMO the most reliable and strongest pulling motor on the market and they lost another 23 pounds for 14' and they got the clutching and all other minor problems they had with the 12's worked out. I love the Pro's but I would just be scared of a motor going down.

All three manufacturers make a great sled, but I think you would be happiest on a CAT!!

Good Luck!!!

RYan

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
From reading your first post it sounds like to me you have already made up your mind.... You want an xM. I can't comment on that I have yet to ride them. I do think the new pro climb is a great sled and I can't say anything had about my pro. I'm very curious about the xM and will hopefully spend some time on a buddies this winter. If your not a fan of color and want a 14' just put a wrap on it;) let us know what you decide.

S
Nov 30, 2007
cda, idaho
same boat, i wouldn't mind a new sled, but i don't know what i would want either...

how is your local dealer if you have one?

i didn't like the xm either, i had a rev and rode it for years, but the xm i can't get over the fact that the ski's are always in the air, i like mine to sit on the snow and not feel so wobbly...

i would love to ride a new pro climb, but i don't know anyone who has one and i doubt my closest dealer would demo one....i guess i have to ask, all they can say is yes or no...

poo, well there you go it's a piece of poo....i have had my day go short because of a pro too many times the past couple of years...

good luck

Premium Features