• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for a nice town with awesome riding.

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Been interested in the idea of moving to alaska for awhile. Well i think ive finally sparked the interest in my wife as well. So whats a nice town to move to that has great riding fairly close by. I live in a town with 20,000 right now with great riding 30minutes away. Something similiar would be great. So any ideas please post them up. Also work would be medical field for her and im a diesel mechanic now but thinking about going back to school for something so im willing to change careers.

Been interested in the idea of moving to alaska for awhile. Well i think ive finally sparked the interest in my wife as well. So whats a nice town to move to that has great riding fairly close by. I live in a town with 20,000 right now with great riding 30minutes away. Something similiar would be great. So any ideas please post them up. Also work would be medical field for her and im a diesel mechanic now but thinking about going back to school for something so im willing to change careers.

Eagle River/Chugiak area is by far the best of the best. IMHO! Good Luck on the move

Soldotna would be another great choice. Much smaller town than the Anchroage area and we have a large hospital here that is always hiring and there is always work for a good wrench. World class fishing right here and many riding choices within about an hours drive.

AK no vacancy!!!!

J/K, if your looking for somewhere small, eagle river would be a goo place and close to anchorage with riding as close as 30 minutes away.

Mountain Riding. 0 Trails Lots of powder, technical climbs, boondocking. What are house prices up there? Say for a 3bdrm 2bath, at LEAST 2 car garage.

If you guys are calling Eagle River small you have been toooo close to Anchorage for way toooo long. That is the suburbs of the city, 1/2 acre lots & townhouses stacked on top of each other. No room to ride out the back door and no room in the cul-de-sac to park. It still does have a pretty view of the mountains though

Eagler River beats Anchorage, but can you guys open the garage door and go tust and turn your sled LEAGALLY? How about shoot a legal moose in your back yard, or Blackie when it wanders through? I'll stay down here.

Akpolaris, bet you are glad the 4th is over and you get your town back? The wife has been stuck working over there the past month. She has about had it with the traffic.

Sounds like my kinda place Ultrarider. would like at least a 1 acre lot. preferably like 5 or 6 acres. Be able to have a shop and garage.

I grew up in eagle river... it was fun as kid growing up there. If your on a tight budget for the house your looking for... condo $190-240k house $230-400k depending on land/views.

If you want to ride from your house, eagle river isn't the place. The river is legal to ride, but not always safe... and not that fun. Either way, there are 5 world class riding locations within 45min-2 hour drive.

Never lived in Soldotna or Kenai, but it sounds a little closer to what you might be looking for. If i could handle being that far from anchorage i would probably live there. Some of the best fishing in the world, good job market. Because of this fishing, you will experience a ridiculous amount of tourists on what we call HWY's that aren't actually highways, they are two laned roads that connect towns.

Another possible suggestion(i would never live there - again too far from Anchorage), its an hour from the big village(anchorage) but its called the Mat-Su valley(Palmer or Wasilla), lots of housing, cheaper than Eagle River and Anchorage, you can ride ur sled/4 wheeler down the side of the street to Mc Donalds if you want, you can even start a junk yard in your front yard. And if your extra crafty and need money, marijuana and meth are cash crops out in the valley! Ok, that last part wasn't 100% true or needed.

Either way, hope this helped and good luck.

Sounds like my kinda place Ultrarider. would like at least a 1 acre lot. preferably like 5 or 6 acres. Be able to have a shop and garage.

Yep, You can get acreage here still, just costs you more $$$. A 3-4 bdrm house with a 2 car on an acre will go for 250-350,000 Depending on how nice you want to get. Likewise, a view or on the Kenai River will make that price skyrocket. I have 2 1/2 acres where I am at. Can ride the toys anytime I want and no worries right from the garage. To give you an idea of prices go to craigslist, click on "alaska" and narrow your search to Soldotna or then kenai, and you will see what housing will run you in this area.

We live in Wasilla and there is a pile of good riding in this area. Heck, I can ride out of the garage and hit Hatchers Pass without touching pavement. I have to say though, it we had our choice we would be on the Kenai. Lots of great fishing, not nearly as many people, a lot of great riding and I hope to find out about the hunting next year when I have my residency. :D Anyway, just a nice area with tons of things to do if you love the outdoors.

We live in Wasilla and there is a pile of good riding in this area. Heck, I can ride out of the garage and hit Hatchers Pass without touching pavement. I have to say though, it we had our choice we would be on the Kenai. Lots of great fishing, not nearly as many people, a lot of great riding and I hope to find out about the hunting next year when I have my residency. :D Anyway, just a nice area with tons of things to do if you love the outdoors.

problem with kenai/soldotna is them guys with them loud *** sleds...not to mention..they put something in the well water down there as well that makes all the kenai riders become the kenai krazies....they will take you places that you absolutely positively know you shouldnt be....another good place could be valdez...world class riding as well........hard to go wrong most anywhere up here really...

problem with kenai/soldotna is them guys with them loud *** sleds...not to mention..they put something in the well water down there as well that makes all the kenai riders become the kenai krazies....they will take you places that you absolutely positively know you shouldnt be....another good place could be valdez...world class riding as well........hard to go wrong most anywhere up here really...

Get your turbo on there this summer Mr Mike. Then we will put velcro on your gloves, and handlebars, and duct tape your a$$ to the seat! Then you can ride with us...:D

I agree w/ AKSNOWRIDER, Valdez is awesome. Great riding and the BEST silver salmon runs in the state (in my opinion), along with some great salmon shark and halibut fishing. But it isnt quite as populated as you may be used to.

omg who let the wasillabillies and the north roaders in here? bwahahahahaha.............. do your homework...................come up and check it out i travel the whole state from juneau to prudhoe this place is full of jewels.............................just depends on your preferences
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Valdez.....................................just say NO!!

omg who let the wasillabillies and the north roaders in here? bwahahahahaha.............. do your homework...................come up and check it out i travel the whole state from juneau to prudhoe this place is full of jewels.............................just depends on your preferences
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Valdez.....................................just say NO!!

Watch who you are calling a North roader!!! I am from Soldotna, Not North Road. :beer;

I heard there was a few good bowls in chama New mexico. Oh wait that was chilli bowls never mind................

Premium Features

Back