• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking at White's Work Boots...

R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Have a few questions out there about their work boot line-up.

Was wondering what others might be using for firefighting. I currently have a set of Danner boots and they never really fit my foot, way to generic in my opinion. They are SHOT after 4 years. I was really looking at the White's smoke jumper boots out there, built by hand custom to your foot dimensions. Also I like that thye can be rebuilt after they wear out, something I can't really do with my current boots.

I have also heard a lot about Nick's Boots, and the story how a while back he split off from White's and made the company it is today. Which is better, and differences between the two?

Any other brands I should be looking at? I need leather boots at least 8" high, need a fire proof sole, and no steel toe.

Thanks

whites are great boots,
that being said , every time you walk within 5 feet of a mud puddle your feet get wet, their stitching lets water in.
plan on rebuilding them every other year, at least
once you wear whites, no other boots will feel comfortable again

Go with the Smokejumpers. I have several sets. Very pricy but worth it. As for Nicks, well I work with Nick. He is no longer with the company. IMO they make a nice boot but seeing how big of a rat pile of trash Nick is, I wouldn't piss on his boots. BTW, what size are you? I have a few hook ups. PM me.

I wore whites for a long time but i prefer nicks. I get a lot more miles out of them and they are more comfortable

I wear White's and have for at least 10 year's, I tried redwing and danner and hawthorne's and the white's wear the longest lasting. They form to fit your feet so well I have a hard time wearing anything else. I wear boots 14 hrs a day 6 to 7 day's a week. I have 2 pairs I rotate thru as one's being rebuilt I wear the other.

Kicka$$ boots. They're heavy and expensive but worth the money. Make sure whoever fit's you for them knows their stuff and works with White's often. The first set I had the guy that fit me didn't know what he was doing and I ended up giving them away. When I was in Spokane the next year I had Whites fit me for a new set and their the most comfortable boots I have. As said above most need rebuilt every other year and a rebuild will cost you as much as a new set of Danners. But hey their American made and that's important to me.

goretex danners for $150 @ sportsman's warehouse. I got four years out of mine before the steel toes started splitting. I'll let you know how whites hold up in four years :D

Cool, thanks for the help so far.

Couple more questions, how hard is it to do the personal fitment guide they have? I saw a thing about where you print out the PDF and pretty much trace and measure your foot and then send it off to them, I will not be in Spokane anytime soon haha, or would you recommend taking it to a boot place in town and have them meausre it out? I have a size 11 shoe for the most part, but usually have problems fitting them, and have a particualr shaped foot that I only wear certain brands.

What was break in time on these boots? It took me about 2-3 months before these last ones were truely broke in, just wondering how far into fire season it will take.

Also, anyone know where the best place to buy these are? There are no dealers for them anywhere even remotely close to here in ND, saw some online and was debating even buying the ebay special ones and having them rebuilt to me, save a couple hundred then save time for break in on the upper portions.

Thanks all, kinda reafirming what I was thinking...

If your worried about the fit then take the time to drive to the nearest dealer. Just look on Whites, or Nicks websites and they list out the dealers. If it were me this is what I would do, to make sure the fit is correct. Whites or Nicks are good boots. They both have their pros and cons. Each of them have their own fit, as does any manufacture. If you call them they can send you try on boots for fit. This is another option if you do not want to travel to a dealer. They will charge you for the try on boots, but you will know if they fit properly. Then when you send them back they will credit your card towards your pair. Call them up and customer service can get you set up.

Using the pattern on the fit form will generally work very well. Just make sure that you trace your foot with the socks you will be wearing. The main problem that you might have is that if your arch is not matched up properly with the arch of the boot. This is where most people get in to trouble with any type of footwear. If the arch of your foot is too far forward or back, then the muscles of your feet try to make up for the support that you should be getting with the arch in the boot. This is one of the main reasons people complain that their feet are hurting after a few hours in boots or shoes. If you have some leather creases or buckling near the arch as you are wearing the boots then this is a sign that your not in the right size. Also if your toes are at the end of the toe box then you need a longer size. You should have about a thumb width from the end of the toe box to the end of your toe. Boots will stretch a bit width wise but they will not stretch longer.

Fitting a pair of Whites or Nicks is different then Danner or any other boots. The reason is that the arch is higher then normal shoes and will have an effect on the fits as a whole. Most people are fit for boots that are too short and wide. Believe it or not most people are actually a narrow and longer fit then what they think. To have proper fit you need to fit to the arch of the boot. Do not get hung up on the size and width numbers if they come back different then what you wear in street shoes.

I would not buy a pair off of ebay, especially if they are worn. The reason is that since these type of boots are all leather, then the insole of the boot will form itself to the foot of the person wearing them. This is one of the reasons why they feel so good after they are broken in. Break in will take anywhere from 1-2 months of constant wear. Do not under any conditions jump in the bathtub or wade thru a stream to soak the leather up with water to help the breakin process. This will only hurt the boots and then dry out the leather. Use plenty of conditioner on the boots even when new.

Your biggest problem right now will be the wait time on a make up if needed. Everyone is ordering their boots just like you.

Last edited:
Rob, I would have to say go with the smokejumpers, although I have just a regular pair of Whites. As for fitting, I haven't heard of anyone doing the on-line shoe diagram ordering but then again I am only 80 miles from the whites dealer. I do know when I bought my second set I was told by a freind (not the dealer) to put them on and soak them in the bathtub for 1/2 an hour and then wear them until they were dry (all of a 12 hour day). I know my first pair I didn't do that to and my feet hurt for three days until they broke/fit in. Mine fit perfect and comfortable as can be.

bah, you want WESCO boots if you want quality...

;)

White's, Nick's, WESCO, they are all better then anything off the shelf. I'm planning on flying up to the WESCO shop sometime this summer/fall and having a pair built. Not going to waste my time with steel toe work boots though since most of my work days are spent wearing XTRATUF's anymore...

I followed the directions on thier website and sent in my dimensions. Fit great. I won't wear anything else but Whites anymore. I wear the Smoke Jumpers.
I work for the railroad 60 hrs per week on my feet in rough ballast. Get about one year out of the soles.

Thanks, kinda reafirms what I was thinking, have quite a few coworkers who use the smokejumper boot for fire in the regular lace up model, and since their is no dealer within 500 miles if not more, will just take it to my friend who has a boot store and have them properly fit me to White's sizing chart.

Thanks

Lucked out!

Went to their website and kept doing the search, found a place in town that doesn't stock them but orders them, stopped down to see what they had to offer and walked out with a receipt for a new pair haha. I sure am glad it wasn't me measuring these things, no way it would have worked and prob. would have ordered the wrong size as they got one full size smaller than my normal shoe size. (these guys are great with boots, local red wing shoe store and know their stuff...)

Now just for the break in, told him about my method of wearing in the shower and get them good and soaked in hot water, wear till dry, and he started laughing and said you to?!?! Guess others do it too but he said you'll be ok as long as you oil them VERY good after.... what do others do fr break in on all leather boots?

Well at least I'm not the only one wearing them in the shower! I used Obenhaufs boot grease my brother had, supposed to be a good conditioner, worked well for me...I don't wear my Whites every day though so maybe somoeone else has a better product???

Go with the Smokejumpers. I have several sets. Very pricy but worth it. As for Nicks, well I work with Nick. He is no longer with the company. IMO they make a nice boot but seeing how big of a rat pile of trash Nick is, I wouldn't piss on his boots. BTW, what size are you? I have a few hook ups. PM me.

The old boy must be tough to still be working. Sorry, couldn't resist. We must be talking about a different Nick. http://www.nicksboots.com/history.htm

Just got back from the first fire of my 42'nd year as a wildland fire fighter. I wore Whites from 1968 until they sold me a bad pair in 1984 and refused to replace them. They agreed to rebuild them but then the boots pumped dust like an SOB. I wore them once after the rebuild then sold them at a yard sale for $5.00.

I tried every chicken skin boot in the book until four years ago I bought a pair of Nicks. I don't dig a lot of line these days but still cover considerable miles every day on a fire. They fit like the old hand made whites did. I love my Nicks. http://www.nicksboots.com/boots/Lifestyles/construct.asp

Here's some break in tips. http://www.nicksboots.com/Break-In.htm

Rob, I did'nt read your post about buying the whites already before I made my Nicks pitch above. Whites are probably a good choice nowday's too. Still a lot of firefighters swearing by them.

The old boy must be tough to still be working. Sorry, couldn't resist. We must be talking about a different Nick. http://www.nicksboots.com/history.htm

Just got back from the first fire of my 42'nd year as a wildland fire fighter. I wore Whites from 1968 until they sold me a bad pair in 1984 and refused to replace them. They agreed to rebuild them but then the boots pumped dust like an SOB. I wore them once after the rebuild then sold them at a yard sale for $5.00.

I tried every chicken skin boot in the book until four years ago I bought a pair of Nicks. I don't dig a lot of line these days but still cover considerable miles every day on a fire. They fit like the old hand made whites did. I love my Nicks. http://www.nicksboots.com/boots/Lifestyles/construct.asp

LOL! I guess I could have made myself a little more clear. The Nick I work with bought Nicks several years ago I believe. Anyway 2 different Nicks.

What I like about Nicks is that they are fit to your foot a lot better than your generic boot where they produce 1,000s and sell them to the masses. I just need something that will fit my foot better, size 10.5 whites and size 12 arch, go figure....

Will take note of the break in, going to go with my water trick as I have never had problems with it, just being careful to use good oil right away so the seems and stitching hold true.

Premium Features

Back