• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

long tracking a short track dragon

D
Feb 25, 2009
I have a 2009 dragon 800 and im going to B.C. this winter and im wondering what its going to take to get the sled ready. im thinking around 155' - 163".

A
Aug 3, 2008
North Idaho
dirt_wheeler, I thought I saw a thread where someone did just that, swap out a 144 to a 155 without any tunnel extension. I think it will fit, all you needs the track, and rails. Curt at Fastrax in Puyallup Wa has a new track and rails for sale from an 09 that he is building. Give him a call, 253-848-0906

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Just trade it for an RMK and call it good. Otherwise you'll need an RMK skid or aftermarket one, track, tunnel extension, gearing, drop brackets, etc.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I agree with marv.... get the updates done (warranty repair from Polairis)... and sell it...

Buy an already Done 2009 RMK or dragon and be done with it.

To make it good in the pow... new skid (extensions wont cut it... the coupled SP skids dont work well in the deep)... new track, new drivers ... clutching and gearing (primary spring, weights, Secondary spring, helix) Skis, New calibration on the front shocks
Climbers love the 33 wide Short track suspensions ... most I know prefer the 39-40 RMK fronts for boondocking. As far as the coolers go... you have a whole new ball of wax there trying to tie in the factory tunnel-roof coolers and running board edges of the SP to and making it work with an aftermarket cooler... the stock short track cooler will not do well in non fresh snow days. .....

To do it right... It will take more money than it is worth IMO...

D
Feb 25, 2009
I wasent thnking of selling my sled because i still live in northern manitoba. only going for a week or two and didnt want to rent one and its really expensive to rent. i guess i thought i could get away with putting a set of rails a track and some gearing and clutching. then hit the mountins.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
You can get away with it but you will need to watch your temps really closely and don't expect RMK performance in the pow.

If I were you the best and most inexpensive option it to get extensions and a 144 track. that way you don't have as much cooling issues as the tunnel ext is rather short, and you don't have to change everything on the sled like drivers, major tunnel mods, cooling system etc.

Gear it down to 800 RMK shift 144 gearing and clutching for elevation, and ride it.

Going to be your best bet for working with what you have and not getting a different sled. but like I said your going to get spanked by an RMK version, just get over that fact going into it and you'll have a ball.

D
Feb 25, 2009
You can get away with it but you will need to watch your temps really closely and don't expect RMK performance in the pow.

If I were you the best and most inexpensive option it to get extensions and a 144 track. that way you don't have as much cooling issues as the tunnel ext is rather short, and you don't have to change everything on the sled like drivers, major tunnel mods, cooling system etc.

Gear it down to 800 RMK shift 144 gearing and clutching for elevation, and ride it.

Going to be your best bet for working with what you have and not getting a different sled. but like I said your going to get spanked by an RMK version, just get over that fact going into it and you'll have a ball.

ya i think thats what im going to do tracks usa has a nice extension. i think a 2 inch track will fit. its my first time in the mountins im looking for the big bowls and some hills and get a feel for what its like. not to much high marking or stuff like that.

L

likinit2

Jul 4, 2004
S.W. Michigan

Yes good advice, the coupled skid will do fine with the 144 and it can still do double duty. The wide fronts on the iq's and switchy's just don't cut it for carving but you will have fun and if you catch the bug you will end up with a rmk or some other true mountain sled. Back in 03' when I bought my 800 sks thinking it would work great in the mountains as well as the trails, well by the time it was all said and done I had an RMK and should have just bought one in the first place.

Premium Features