• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Limiter Strap So much Ski pressure

N

Northwestguy

Apr 1, 2010
Panhandle NID
Hello,
Has anyone tried letting out the limiter strap one or more holes to lighten up the steering and handling.
These things have so much ski pressure on hard snow.
If so how did it affect other things. Did the seat height go up? Does it get to light in the front end to steer it on a trail?
Thanks in advance for any insight.:help:

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
What Bike?
Shorten the shock strut rod that will drop the back and will decrease the ski pressure. Put on rox risers and pull back the handle bars to get your weight back as far as you can I also drops and moved the foot pegs back 1.5 inches . Play with the fork tubes for best settings .
Good luck.

sullcat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2009
Increase front shock preload slightly will help keep limiter strap at it "limit" and take pressure off the ski. Too much preload may lead to hyfax wear behind the driver, moderation on preload.

Last edited:
There is a ton of adjustment in the skid. Start with the limiter strap, and then play around with pre-load on the shocks.

If that doesn't work for you, you can always add/remove spacers to the rear arm for more adjustments.

Lots of things you can do to set the bike up for your riding style. Shortening the strut rod should not be one of them.

Yrocmoto

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2014
Utah
Is it possible to put a shrader valve on the top of the forks and pressurize them creating an airspring?

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Te 2015 is already lower than the older models so don't mess with the strut rod. Try lowering the front end by sliding the fork tubes up in the triple clamps is a popular adjustment as well and than crank up the compression dampening on the for a bit.
That should get you in the ballpark (The KTM does not have a Air fork so do not pump it up :face-icon-small-hap)

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
Hello,
Has anyone tried letting out the limiter strap one or more holes to lighten up the steering and handling.
These things have so much ski pressure on hard snow.
If so how did it affect other things. Did the seat height go up? Does it get to light in the front end to steer it on a trail?
Thanks in advance for any insight.:help:

Yes, if you lengthen the limiter strap you will decrease pressure on the ski. The trail riding will be a little more busy. But you will gain ski lift this will help in powder and lofting over things. It takes all of about 2 minutes to change positions on the strap. The strut rod takes a little longer, but has a huge effect on ski pressure and stability. A 1/4 height change in rod length is big change. I use an adjustable rod for a KTM on my CRF. You have to cut the treads on the tie rod and cut center rod to be able decrease the length. The 15 kit is lower, so I wouldn't get to crazy with it maybe an 1/8 inch, you might have that in your stock rod with out cutting it. Good luck-the more you play with things the more you will find what you like

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
Is it possible to put a shrader valve on the top of the forks and pressurize them creating an airspring?

What are you looking for? air pressure can increase fork compression damping. But is a little tricky to play with(inconsistent). I have an air fork on my CRF and I have to play with it often. If you are are wanting stiffer forks you have several poor mans options: Increase spring pre load, increase oil level height, or run a heavier oil. All these things will give you more constant results then playing with cold air.

Yrocmoto

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2014
Utah
What are you looking for? air pressure can increase fork compression damping. But is a little tricky to play with(inconsistent). I have an air fork on my CRF and I have to play with it often. If you are are wanting stiffer forks you have several poor mans options: Increase spring pre load, increase oil level height, or run a heavier oil. All these things will give you more constant results then playing with cold air.

Yeah, just thinking of simple ways to stiffin it up. So to add pre load is that like putting a piece of pvc pipe on top of the spring? I remember doing that to some bike once upon a time.

I do have 2 sets of suspension, usually a desert and mountain setup, maybe I'll have to convert one to a snowbike setup. Still deciding how involved I want to get with customizing my snowbike.

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT

a friend did this I said dumb but ask and yee shall recieve! He said ordered some fittings off ebay thats all I know, he calls it air assist, I call it b.s. he says like 5 lbs to start and go go gadget spring rate :noidea:

brent air.jpg

Last edited:
T

torkd

Oct 9, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I was having the same issue bottoming out my forks all the time. I just spent $115 at RaceTech suspension for the heaviest springs they sell. Haven't got them yet but I'll come back with how it works.

I did try 10 weight oil and it helped a bit but springs will make the biggest difference. If you want to spend even more you can do valving but I opted out of that.

T

torkd

Oct 9, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Yeah, just thinking of simple ways to stiffin it up. So to add pre load is that like putting a piece of pvc pipe on top of the spring? I remember doing that to some bike once upon a time.

I do have 2 sets of suspension, usually a desert and mountain setup, maybe I'll have to convert one to a snowbike setup. Still deciding how involved I want to get with customizing my snowbike.

You adjust pre load on your front skid shock by tightening the nut on the shock that holds the spring. Tightening that nut will compress the shock giving a stiffer pre load. It's just like the rear shock on your dirt bike swing arm.

You should not put PVC in your forks if that was what you were asking also. That would cause some serious damage I think.

Premium Features