• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lightweight Hood

T

Toad face killah

Sep 27, 2010
Lake Almanor, Ca
Looking at the Helium hood for my 2021 snowcheck. I really love the decreased weight, the storage areas and the look. I have trouble spending that much to have to add headlights that aren't streamlined with the sled. I simply have to have headlights. Are there any other good options for an aftermarket hood, that also includes headlights?

T

Toad face killah

Sep 27, 2010
Lake Almanor, Ca
That looks pretty sweet. But the price tag is a little tougher to swallow. I guess if I bought the helium and added 2 lights I'd be above that anyways. I guess I've got some thinking to do. Or maybe I just leave it stock

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
That looks pretty sweet. But the price tag is a little tougher to swallow. I guess if I bought the helium and added 2 lights I'd be above that anyways. I guess I've got some thinking to do. Or maybe I just leave it stock

Instead of the Helium hood - which I really like, but find a bit pricy - I bought the basic factory matt black Axys hood for $250ish plus vents and side faster clips and a used Skinz headlight delete kit. Est $350 total. Put my $1000 factory painted hood and headlight assy on the shelf. This way, I remove the 3# (?) of headlight assy and have a less expensive hood to replace if I break it. My orig hood stays nice for resale. Move the gauge assembly over from the orig hood, and install in the "sacrificial" hood. Only draw back is the lack of hood storage compartment but I have a tunnel bag so no big loss IMO.

With the solution above, or a Skinz hood you still need a headlight as some point. Have you thought about a helmet head light ? Tusk makes a good one, has a separate battery pack that goes in the top of my pack and power wire over my shoulder. I have a GoPro mount under the bill of my helmet to clip into. When not in use, the whole thing goes in my tunnel bag. It could also be mounted on the side of the helmet, or on the chin bar, or on top of the helmet. Link below.

In the end, not a bright as the factory lights - but pretty good. Plenty to get down off the mountain at the end of the day. And extra bonus [for me], I can also move it to a Mtn Bike/Fat Bike helmet. ..... and $125 with an extra battery.

Still saves weight, saves orig hood, less $ than a Skinz hood.

Last edited:
Premium Features