• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lighting Coil - 2004 RMK

I am trying to install a Digitron guage to my 2004 RMK and it says that most sleds get their Tach signal from the lighting coil. It this true for my sled and where would I find the lighting coil? Thanks

Yes thats true for your sled. Lighting coil is part of the stator inside the engine. Yellow wire is what drives the Tach. Not sure how most guys hook up the digitron but thats where I would start.

Thanks Devilrmk. Never heard of a "lighting coil" and the wiring schematic did not show one. My motor is out of the sled so it is easy to trace wires. I do have a single yellow & brown wire that come from the stator into a large plug that has (5) yellow & brown wires from it that run all over the place. The Digitron instructions say to connect into the lighting coil wire before the regulator and there is a yellow & brown wire feeding the regulator. Would I just splice into the yellow wire before the regulator? There is also a yellow & brown wire running up and feeding stock tach. Any thoughts?

Down at the regulator the plug has a splice on the yellow that bypasses the regulator. I would plug it in there. Take a look at it, you will see what I mean.

Either that or just connect to the stock tach wire.

Yea it gets 24+ volts at that one. Thats where I have my rectifier plugged into and after the rectifier losses and all the draw its still putting out over 16v dc.

Premium Features

Back