• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lighten up the skid ??

I built my self a two wheel kit yesterday, I cut and taped the stock axle. It fit realy nice and I was thinking, 1 lbs for the two wheel and others have stated 4 lbs from removing the boggies. And since it's the pig of all summits the RT1000 every pound shed is good.

Would the rails be too weak if one was to fill it full of holes? It would not be a huge amount of weight but it is unsprung weight so the benifits would pretty large in comparision. I did some weights on a 1" diameter slug I cut that was the same thickness as the rails and you get about 1 oz per hole, not much but if you could get 8 holes in each side then you got one pound. I was thinking of the new cat rails when this ran through my head. Mine is a 151 so the rails are not toooo long but there is alot of metal there.

Also what about removing the limiting strap adjuster and just looping and bolting the straps like most sleds, that steel adjustment system is at least three pounds. I would want to wait and dial it in this winter then chop it and lock it.

I understand the rails are pretty weak in the middle at the bumpstops, but closer to the rear, and at the mount for the front swingarm, there is more then enough room to loose a pound maybe a pound and a half. I did not really look to close at anything else but there might be more to lose.

Also is there a reason for the large rear torsion springs? Why not run a coil over? I think it would also help clear snow better with a single center mounted coilover. I have seen them set up this way with an air shock but those were custom skids. Now I would love some floats on my ride but there just not in the budget, but a shock and coil might be. Has anyone done this? What did you use for a shock? Spring?

I wish there was snow so I could ride this dang thing, instead of wrenching on it.

Premium Features

Back