• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Kmod or EZ Ryde

B

bradburck

09 M series running 10 lbs.... 153" skid.

So if you had the chance to have one or the other, what would you do and why?

Anyone out there owned both? Trying to make decisions. Imagine both with Exit shocks, so that is a wash....

All tree riding and boondocking here, small climbs, riding same areas as Burandt... just like 3x less talented...

I don't really care to hear about anything else.. those are the options I've got.

Yes Wyo- I know you would go kmod.

Brad

Last edited:
I'm running a Kmod with raptors at 10 lbs boost and I love it. So much more control, night and day from the stock skid. I've also got buddies who are running the EZ-Ryde and that is a great skid too. To be perfectly honest, you'll be happy with either skid. The Kmod is easier to install as it uses the stock mounting locations.

Sure I'll bite.. have you ridden an ez ryde? I don't wanna hear the weight as a major issue either. too me 3-5 lbs one way or another is negligible.

09 M series running 10 lbs.... 153" skid.

Imagine both with Exit shocks, so that is a wash....

Brad

I couldn't imagine an upgrade with Exits. Ride Raptors and you won't imagine you will live the dream. The K MOD is awesome. Ask Wyo.

That much better you feel? Why? Even the exits with a good revalve from Andy for my weight and specs? Just curious why you say that...

I couldn't imagine an upgrade with Exits. Ride Raptors and you won't imagine you will live the dream. The K MOD is awesome. Ask Wyo.

Kevin's service is awesome. I am buying a used sled with 10-12 gen skid and Kevin went WAY out of his way to upgrade and set it up for me.

I have ridden both quite a bit and bang for the $$ the Kmod is the way to go. If you are running a turbo application, no other skid gives you the adjustability both on the shock and on the transfer. It is nice being able to wheelie when you want to and not when you don't.

I didn't need to ride one to know, just looking at it after having the kmod and other skids I knew the ez was not for me. The surface area the kmod puts down is the biggest you can get out of almost any skid. On boost a coupled skid (a geometrically correct) is huge for backcountry riding. Have you every felt how a stock skid trenches and when it lifts the skis it feels like you are tetering on a single point and the nose of the sled is going where ever it is pointed. I e when you wheelie your out of control. Now with a coupled skid when the skis lift its as if there is something pulling the sled up as if you hooked a strap to the handle bars and lifted, so in effect where the sled is pointed is where your going weather the skis are up or not.

I got it because on mine when I would flip around (down hill u turn) and head up I was out of control and if anything (like a rut or small tree) was in my path it had a huge effect of where I was going to wind up. I was riding with guys running more boost and longer tracks. Once I go the kmod and gained control period they quit following me. It also adds suspension height, which is great if you need more travel but the big kicker to me was if the track is farther down it means the angle of a hill you can sidehill just got steeper. The kmod is what kept my 09 M sidehilling steeper hills than the pro, (if the pro had a kmod it might not)

Now think of that pulling up on the handle bars effect again in a sidehill and when you wash out. On a stocker it will dig and flip over, with a kmod it will lift and you shove/twist the sled and keep going, its stupid what you can get away with.

another one, I hit a road cut the first time and was used to the front launching in the air and if not nearly flipping over I was stuck. Do it with a kmod and somehow without you even doing anything does a up hill u-turn.

Now the way it works is simple but takes some thinking one what really happens. To put it simple, IMO,
If your on boost with a stock skid you go with the sled and where it wants to go and just try and keep it in the right direction, per say.
With the kmod, total control, you own the hill, ruts have no effect, kickers that would normally throw you are of no concern.
You will go from trying to find a line to inventing a line, sometimes even if the sled has to be on its edge or the skis wont fit between the trees.

My experience on boost was just on the conversion, but I could bottom it out or set it to stiff, it was great for the money but then I put the raptors and full kmod on my NA PC. wow, first sled I've jumped full throttle. I never new what suspension meant to backcountry riding until the kmod. I went from trying the crazy stuff you see burandt and rasmussen do and rarely pulling it off, to just doing it and having a hard time finding harder lines.

That much better you feel? Why? Even the exits with a good revalve from Andy for my weight and specs? Just curious why you say that...

Why would you buy a shock then pay to get it revalved? When you buy a K Mod system you tell Kevin your weight and answer a few other questions. He then orders your Raptors from Jake. The front suspension shock is a coil over. The rear has a 20 position clicker. You can dial these in and have a suspension working like it should and is totally controled. If you add the clickers to the front you can WOT the trail bumps under control. They are so easy to adjust for any changing condition or horse power. If you go with the K MOD I do not believe you can run the Exit shock. Call Jake 218-242-0614 and ask him why you should run his shock rather than the EXIT. He is a great guy that knows his business. I rode his shock on a 2011 M8 ltd. They were awesome with the stock suspension by them selves.

What Wyo said about the K MOD is spot on. The first thing I noticed was there was no more trenching from the stopped position. The weight transfer is totally adjustable to your liking. It makes a N/A sled stay on top and controls the power of a turbo.

So I have owned both and ridden both for thousands of miles.....

The Ez ride has a good very smooth ride down the trail and can be made to work for climbing/boondocking if set up right.... The transfer is ok but can be a little hard to control.... Approach angle is pretty good and this suspension works good.. I actually ended up adding limiter straps on mine to help with transfer control...Turbo Application.

This suspension is a good upgrade from stock but here are the things I dont like about it....

I broke my ezryde multiple times.... Bent rails,wore out lots of parts, bushings etc... When things get worn and loose the suspension can walk out of the track.

And you have to run the track tighter than I like to keep everything in check...

I am not bashing on this suspension just giving an honest opinion.

KMOD:

Has been the most durable and adjustable suspension I have owned. I have Zero falures in 2000 miles. Approach angle is great. Transfer is awesome. Tons of adjustablility.... Customer service is awesome and Kevin listens to his customers.... I have KMODS on two of my sleds. M1200 turbo and M800 turbo and both have outperformed my expectations.

I would say the KMOD has at least twice the amout of adjustability the Ez Ryde has....

Also if you are an aggressive boondocker and you like to climb and change your suspension through out the year depending on snow conditions then the KMod is the way you want to go. Kevin has designed it to be easily adjustable and the new quick coupler adjuster is cool too!

Take this for what it is... But I have owned both and logged lots of miles and my KMods arent going anywhere! Good luck in your decision!

Whimp

Oh and I would go with Raptors over Exit on this suspension. They have lots of testing and dialing time on Kevins suspension.....

I have full exit on one of my sleds... They work great but I would keep the KMOD with Raptors under it.....

I did the conversion on one of my sleds to begin with... It worked well. I had to mess with spring rates a little. My rear shock was over driving my front shock to begin with... It was a Big improvement over stock... That being said... It didnt take me too long to make the change to the full suspension. After riding both and comparing both the complete KMOD is where its at... If you really listen to Kevins advances in technology with these skids you need the complete suspension to accomplish the longer consistent travel/transfer along with a hundred other things we all have now due to the KMOD....

I think if a guy was not wanting to drop all the coin right away he could do the conversion and then down the road complete the kit when he was ready... I dont see any problem with this... It was almost a season between the time I purchased my conversion until I completed the suspension..Ill agree 2500 is a bunch of money no doubt... But the M10's that compare with the KMOD are about 5000 bucks.....

I did the conversion on my Tm8, The first mod to my stock PC was a full KMOD with raptors if that tells you anything. If all I had was 900 to spend I would do conversion, save money, sell conversion and upgrade. It is an absolute must on a boosted sled and a must for my riding style no matter what.

Just got a Kmod conversion last night at Kevin's shop

the great thing is you can add the componetry as your excess dollars grow. in the future when I have some extra flow, I can add the rear raptor clicker shock +$500, add the Raptor front shock +$250-$500 depending if you go straight tube shock Raptor or clicker in the front, can add Kmod Ice age rails etc.

Reactions: gjp
So looking at there web site show a fox air shock with the 2500 kit? is that how it comes or with the raptors?

$2500 for raptors if I remember right, mine was a little more with some extra's like powdercoating etc..

I dont have an M but I would go with KMOD for his customer service alone. Kevin has always went the extra mile for me and businesses like that are hard to come by these days. Plus he makes a wicked skid!

Premium Features

Back