• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

khaos wet weight

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Dry weight is show at 420 lbs. So that is adding 91 lbs of fluids. 11.2 of gas is about 73 lbs. Then 3.5 quarts of oil (if you fill it completely up) another 6 ish pounds, coolant is maybe another 8 lbs? Probably about right. I guess we could put on a smaller gas tank and smaller oil tank to make the "wet weight" much less :)

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Or start saying other brands are lighter in the snow because of the mass amount of ice and snow the Polaris holds. ?
I've seen claims of the Polaris holding upwards of 100 lbs of snow, do they not realize that's like 14+ gallons of water.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Ice weighs 57lb per cubic foot. So you're not convinced a sled can hold 1.75 cubic feet of ice? Think about that dimensionally. And it's only 12 gallons FYI.

154 stock Alphas were being weighed at 545 wet last year. With a chaincase and 3" track. How does a Polaris come with a factory 3" track? Oh yeah, with a chaincase lol.

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Haha not at all! I just like to make sure all the facts are right in a discussion and things are being compared apples to apples without bias. My engineer brain freaks out when things aren't correct. I fully agree Polaris builds the lightest out of the box mountain sled.

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Ice weighs 57lb per cubic foot. So you're not convinced a sled can hold 1.75 cubic feet of ice? Think about that dimensionally. And it's only 12 gallons FYI.

154 stock Alphas were being weighed at 545 wet last year. With a chaincase and 3" track. How does a Polaris come with a factory 3" track? Oh yeah, with a chaincase lol.
Sorry Mr Engineer I was thinking water was around 7 pounds per gallon and with the quick math in my head my number was off. To answer your question on will it hold that much MORE ice than the other brands, the answer is NO! Not to mention sleds in general don't get much solid ice on them, it is some ice and compact wet snow which isn't even close to the same weight as solid ice. Maybe you can convince the other brands to come out with a belt drive to save weight that would help your argument. I don't really care about any of this anyway I was just making a comment originally because I knew from other threads in years past guys like you get their panties in a bunch over this stuff and it looks like this is heading in the same direction. By the way what sled will you ride when Cat is bankrupt in a few years, asking for a friend? ?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Sorry Mr Engineer I was thinking water was around 7 pounds per gallon and with the quick math in my head my number was off. To answer your question on will it hold that much MORE ice than the other brands, the answer is NO! Not to mention sleds in general don't get much solid ice on them, it is some ice and compact wet snow which isn't even close to the same weight as solid ice. Maybe you can convince the other brands to come out with a belt drive to save weight that would help your argument. I don't really care about any of this anyway I was just making a comment originally because I knew from other threads in years past guys like you get their panties in a bunch over this stuff and it looks like this is heading in the same direction. By the way what sled will you ride when Cat is bankrupt in a few years, asking for a friend? ?
No worries, happens sometimes. In the industry I work in we use 40lb/ft^3 for the less dense, wet rime type ice. Those huge "riding weight" variance arguments were way back in 2013. Sleds from all manufactures are much different now than 7 years ago so yeah it's not the same argument. There's still a difference, but anyone that thinks there's that large of a swing now needs to wake up. Just like the guys that still think a cat is 60lb heavier and doesn't handle well. I have as much chance of convincing Cat or Doo to offer belt drives as you do of asking Polaris to on the 3" track sleds. With what's offered right now I'd ride a Ski-doo if Cat went under. Good local dealer that treats me right on the dirt bikes I already get from them.

Before this gets way off track I will say 511 wet is a pretty good number. I believe I'm around 525 with my mod Cat and I know the work that goes into a sled to get it down there.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca

The Polaris is light enough not to need a 3" track to compete. I have had both and the 2.6" will give the 3" a run. It's more of a "weight to traction" requirement.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
MOD Cat ??? So stock you were like 600??

When these are 511 .. Apples to Apples we are 425# Mod , or somewhere around that ..

Back in the fall of 2013 when my sled rolled out of the Cat factory it was around 490lb curb weight (fluids minus fuel). Fully admit is wasn't light and why I didn't ride a stock one. It should be about 525lb wet with a 13.5 gallon fuel tank, spare belts, and tool kit. That's pretty good for a 162 3" track 38" ski stance sled with bumpers, tube running boards, full Kmod skid with ice age rails, heavier aftermarket shocks, etc. Subtracting fluids puts it at 425 dry. Alpha build could be made lighter given the skid/track design and narrower ski stance. My point though is when you've been through a sled as extensively as I have seeing what works trimming weight, what doesn't, and adding it back in the right places to make a bullet proof sled you can hammer on you genuinely appreciate a low 500lb RTR sled if it holds together. That's all.

St. Hellens rider

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2008
washington
The chain case 3" of Polaris is what 8 lbs heavier? In my opinion they could use more cooling for the bad snow condition days. No doubt the cat alpha is a superior sled to the proclimb but still far heavier than the Polaris and the Doo for that matter. I personally would love for Polaris to put the belt drive on the 3" sleds. My TKI belt drive on my 174 LE is much quicker jumping on top of the snow then it was with the chain case.

Premium Features