• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Khaos was winning

U
Nov 11, 2009
My money. Now they throw the Mountain Max (beautiful color) alpha one in the mix. Any comparison between the two. My mind is confused again. Meadow riding 95% of the time.

• Haha
Reactions: JONESY

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
How about that new 650 with 137 X 1.5” track or a used PRO 600 or Axys 600?

I’m going to pull the BS flag out before you reply.
Reason I suggested this sled is you mentioned 95% of your riding is meadows.

The original 550 Trail RMK’s were 136 track 1.5” lug. I rode a 98 Powder Special 600 136x2 in the meadows in late 90’s early 2000’s. These current 600’s will stomp the original 800’s. My wife tossed around a 2000 RMK 141 for a couple years in meadows. I’m not saying that you belong on a 600, but think of your riding style compared to the HP needed for your riding style. My wife is currently on a ‘14 Carl’s 660 and I enjoy riding that thing as much as my boosted 800. My father is on a M6 and he’s a meadow guy himself, hates trees and hates the hills.

I personally think the sport of snowmobiling has created a confidence issue as in look at me with my big sled and my big trailer and my big truck!

“Looking cool in front of your broke friends makes you even more broke than them”. Dave Ramsey!!!

I won’t get involved with your finances, but thought that quote is perfect for today’s society.

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Alpha is the funnest thing ever. Mountain max in a 154 with 2.6 track. Most playful sled ever built and i ride my buddy's kaos everytime out. He likes his kaos and he would tell you the same thing. Both awesome either way you go.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
@sledhead_79, you might get some disagreement on that, but I think you're right on. I ride a 600/144, originally a 136, and someone told me the 144 wouldn't make that much difference in the powder. Well, they're probably right about chest-deep, but it's done pretty well in the snow I've seen so far (including over the hood snow). The 136 wasn't useless, but boy, did you have to keep that track moving. I'm probably similar in ability to uofm, still working to get better and move up, but it's not like my sled is holding me back that much for the moment. Riding an 800/155 AXYS didn't make much difference: the point where I got uncomfortable and outside my ability level didn't change that much.

For someone committed to upping their game and riding challenging terrain, it's probably worth stretching to a "big boy" sled, but for every case like that I'd guess there's someone on a 850 Pro or Summit and getting nothing from it over a 600 155 or 144. Of course, a lot depends on where you ride, and whether you see really deep stuff very often. I started riding around Mt Baker, and only remember one day where it was truly too deep for my sled (136), but some places are lucky enough to get that regularly, and that may drive you to more sled. But again, like sledhead is saying, it's easy to talk yourself into more sled than you need or maybe even want deep down because you don't want to be "that guy" on the 600 and/or less than 155" track. I'm that guy, and nobody really cares. If you're still worried about it, use the money you saved and bring some beer to share!

Reactions: Over budget

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
650 with 135 horse !!! (800 VES power)
Big bore and twin pipe it and rule the Meadows !! And be 3XXpounds

That would possibly be @ 150 horse so about 800 CFI power .. tweeked and angry (165?? So 850 ETEC power )

Reactions: BeartoothBaron

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I'd disagree about being out in left field: I think sledhead made a good point about being honest about what you actually need if you're doing 95% meadow riding. Most comparisons from a skilled rider between the Khaos and Mountain Max (AKA Alpha) aren't going to center around meadows and relatively flat terrain. The reason they sell an 850 trail sled is because they sell: some to people who race them and actually ride wide open, some to people will always buy the biggest sled for bragging rights even though they never go over 50MPH. Nothing wrong with either.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
He wants a kaos or mountain max. That is what he asked. Doesn't matter what you or i think he needs. Doesn't matter where he rides or how he rides. He didn't ask what sled he should ride. He asked for a comparison. Its America. Ride what you want. Better to have and not need then need and not have. On another note, the alpha is insanely fun in the meadow and so is the kaos. The alpha is the funnest sled out there for what he is asking but also the worst on the trail.

U
Nov 11, 2009
I will have to do a few miles on the trail. 5 to 10 miles a day max. I know very little about each sled. Trying to read up on each one as much as I can. I do know you never hear of any issues with the 800 motor. The new 850 scares me a little. Nor to much since it is on the third year. Just looking for positive and negative for each. Have two weeks to make a deposit.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I have an alpha. Its a great sled. Owned a turbo axys 800. If you are riding 1ft or more of pow all the time the alpha is really fun.
If its mixed hardpack and pow during the year Id opt for a 2 rail sled. Im not a fan of the mono rail on crappy snow days. I ride my 2 rail mountain cat every time in those conditions. The alpha will be a breeze to ride in pow days, and beat you up more on packed days. If I didnt own 2 sleds Id own a single rail sled like the 850 khaos. Seeing as yamaha and/or cat dropped the mountain 2 rails like morons. Or Id convert a mountain max or cat back to a 2 rail.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Well it sounds like you have definitely narrowed it down to the 2 correct choices.

I would somewhat want to agree with sledhead_79 and say that IF the manufacturers would offer a full blown mountain sled with a 14X track instead of a 15X track being the shortest possible, then I would be all about you getting the shorter track. However, they don't. With Polaris, as soon as you go smaller than 155 you start making HUGE compromises that I would be completely unwilling to make. Even with Cat, the compromises are pretty significant below 154.

I really wish Polaris would make a true RMK sled with a 144 track, but they don't. So I recommend the smallest track they offer that is still a really really true 100% mountain sled. That is a 155. Obviously, the Khaos is an awesome pick, especially if you aren't trying to point it straight up really steep hills, which seems to be the one weakness of the Khaos.

That Mountain Max really is so beautiful though. Tough choice. Good problem to have though. Good luck.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
The Promised Land……..
I have an alpha. Its a great sled. Owned a turbo axys 800. If you are riding 1ft or more of pow all the time the alpha is really fun.
If its mixed hardpack and pow during the year Id opt for a 2 rail sled. Im not a fan of the mono rail on crappy snow days. I ride my 2 rail mountain cat every time in those conditions. The alpha will be a breeze to ride in pow days, and beat you up more on packed days. If I didnt own 2 sleds Id own a single rail sled like the 850 khaos. Seeing as yamaha and/or cat dropped the mountain 2 rails like morons. Or Id convert a mountain max or cat back to a 2 rail.

do you know why the dual rail is easier on the less than amazing days?

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
If you honestly ride pretty much only meadows grab the MM Alpha. The Alpha is insanely fun to ride but isn't much fun to sidehill on harder snow or dust on crust, it washes out fairly easily think Doo XM but a bit worse, it also doesn't shine in downhill carves. It works extremely well in deep snow in all terrain and is a total blast to just hoon around on.

S
Dec 5, 2010
Sḵwxwú7mesh, BC
I've ridden skidoo for 10 years, mostly 163/165 tracks
I had a alpha 154 last season
I have a rmk 850 163 this season
and for the last week I've been riding my shops demo khaos 155 .... and man oh man, its easily the funnest sled i've every ridden! My next sled will be a khaos (maybe even a 155!)

I've come to realize I am not a fan of wobbly skids and bendy tracks .. give me a solid 2 rail skid and a no gimmick bendy track on a sled with proper geometry and suspension any day !

What made the alpha fun in the meadows was the fact that you could make it wash out so easily .. I could drift it around trees (like over steering your RWD car), but couldnt' get it to stick to a side hill for the life of me... and I could take my skidoo G4 anywhere on the mountain

needless to say I did not continue with the alpha even though It gave me no grief, 0 issues and ran great all season !

Now that I've been on the polaris for a season, I cant believe I used to like skidoo handling ... even though I've had a couple of issues with reliability.... I'm continuing on with polaris and will ride a khaos next season (and yes I did demo the turbo doo for a whole day in deep snow!)

I
Dec 21, 2016
How about that new 650 with 137 X 1.5” track or a used PRO 600 or Axys 600?

I’m going to pull the BS flag out before you reply.
Reason I suggested this sled is you mentioned 95% of your riding is meadows.

The original 550 Trail RMK’s were 136 track 1.5” lug. I rode a 98 Powder Special 600 136x2 in the meadows in late 90’s early 2000’s. These current 600’s will stomp the original 800’s. My wife tossed around a 2000 RMK 141 for a couple years in meadows. I’m not saying that you belong on a 600, but think of your riding style compared to the HP needed for your riding style. My wife is currently on a ‘14 Carl’s 660 and I enjoy riding that thing as much as my boosted 800. My father is on a M6 and he’s a meadow guy himself, hates trees and hates the hills.

I personally think the sport of snowmobiling has created a confidence issue as in look at me with my big sled and my big trailer and my big truck!

“Looking cool in front of your broke friends makes you even more broke than them”. Dave Ramsey!!!

I won’t get involved with your finances, but thought that quote is perfect for today’s society.

How about a Mountain Max or a Khaos; the two sleds the OP asked about, not what you think he needs?

danby

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
mackenzie b.c canada
Khaos 850 155 is the way to go, riding back to back from a 2020 165 alpha hardcore to my khaos is a night and day difference, Alpha seems to have to wind up almost like a 125 dirt bike. The khaos is instant in lifting the skis when you want it to, the guy I was switching with on the alpha is now borrowing my khaos for his wife to ride and if she likes it wants to make the switch to khoas from the hard core and a riot x. Just my .02

Reactions: IcutMetl and Solby

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
Guys I was just throwing other options in a non-politically correct way, yes I'm an A$$hole! If i rode 95% meadows, I doubt I'd be on an 800, but yes that's my personal preference. I'd be surprised if 80% of you have even rode the newer 600's because ya'll think they are toooooo smalll and only teenage girls belong on them. Yes you are entitled to your own thoughts and suggests, it's what makes the USA so awesome!

Here's another option since OP did specifically ask about the Arctic Cat MM with Yamaha stickers and the Polaris Khaos. Has the OP thought of purchasing the Khaos and wrapping it with MM Blue?

Premium Features