• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Khaos Velocity Shock settings

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I have been struggling to make my 21 165 Khaos ride as smooth as my 19 174 RMK. It takes big hits just fine but the small chatter bumps transfer to the rider. I am also finding that the Velocity shocks seem to have very little rebound dampening as it bounces off bumps and can put the rider out of control. I am wondering if this valving is designed to quickly lift the sled after a compression to give it "Instantaneous Lift"?

I have tried the low and high speed dampening adjustments from one end to the other and have found the best I can get it it to have the high speed a bit stiffer than stock while having the low speed a bit softer than stock. Ski shock springs and rear are set soft while the center shock spring is turned up 2 turns to keep the front end light.

I'm sure there are guys who will just say "get them re-valved" but it is not easy in Western Canada and is expensive. I'm also not convinced that a shock tuner would 100% get it right the first time around.

Has anyone found other settings on the factory valving and springs that seem to work?

Reactions: Boreal

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
Do they have rebound damping adjusters ? If not, spring length (as in spring compression) will dictate rebound speed along with rebound shim stack. You have your springs set soft, and your rear set up is keeping front end light you say..... Maybe too light, as you may not have the weight transfer to absorb small chatter in the front end. Is it bad on downhill's ?
Would the chatter would be higher speed events (as in trail trash) ?.
I rode new Khaos with the needle shocks and seemed pretty damn smooth. Possibly internal floating piston wasn't set proper and/or nitrogen +/- pressures. But if it takes big hits fine, then this wouldn't be the issue

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Kale and Teth-Air

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
No rebound dampening adjustments. I agree on the spring tension as the rebound dictator but unless I am running in the area of "short stroke" of the shock, I think tightening will only increase the bounciness.

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
Did you try tighting your RTS Spring (or click in for more damping) to transfer more weight to the front end ? FTS is usually fairly loose on past AXYS, but the Khaos set up is likely the opposite for wheelie mode. Possibly getting more weight up front to let the IFS obsorb the chatter.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Did you try tighting your RTS Spring (or click in for more damping) to transfer more weight to the front end ? FTS is usually fairly loose on past AXYS, but the Khaos set up is likely the opposite for wheelie mode. Possibly getting more weight up front to let the IFS obsorb the chatter.
Will try turning all shock springs up one turn this weekend with the idea that the weight transfer will not change as I really like the light front end feel and then I can turn down the dampening some as I expect the entire chassis to lift slightly.

Premium Features