• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Juneau Area

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Juneau is Tree Hugger and Lobbyist central! You can't even ride a mountain bike on local trails because they think they damage the earth....way too much politics down there.

I think the only riding is over on Douglas Island, which is connected by a bridge from downtown Juneau. Depending on the year, they can get a ton of snow up in the mountains (mostly rain and wet heavy snow in Juneau). There used to be a member on here named Sharky that posted a ton of pics with some serious trenched out riding.

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Thanks for the info. If i had my way from the research ive done id live near Eagle River and work in anchorage but the job being offered might be in Juneau. Maybe i should hold out and wait for a job more Near anchorage. Anyone know of anyone hiring any diesel mechanics.

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Prefer engine work. Cats. But know trucks pretty well, Have worked the oil rigs for awhile as well. Can do anything pertained to engine work don't matter the make or model.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Excellent snow and killer mountains between Haines (AK) and Whitehorse (Yukon Territory Canada), but it is a 4 to 4-1/2 hour ferry ride from Juneau. Not to keep bashing Juneau, but have you checked on housing costs there? It is crazy expensive!!!

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
www.backcountryrebles.com
Juneau is mecca if you have a nice ocean boat, but you better have good rain gear. They get LOTS of rain. Most people that live in Juneau probably wish they lived somewhere else. (just kidding, but it does seem that way some times) But it is land locked, you cant drive more than a few minutes out of town, so the ferry is your only mode of transportation. The guys are right about Haines, there is some epic riding there, and once your on the Hwy system, you can ride anywhere in the state if your willing to log the miles. My mother and her husband live on Douglas Island and work in Juneau, but it is Crazy expensive.

If you need the work, give it a shot, you may love it. Anchorage is the hub of the state though, and will be a good place to live if you need to be around a large city to feel sane. If your looking for work as a diesel mechanic, try looking around Valdez, Homer, Anchorage, Kenai, and Seward. Those are all on the road system and are close to great riding areas, while still being close to the ocean where diesel engines are very common. Fairbanks is way farther north, far from any ocean, but lots of over the road trucking goes through there, and they support the North Slope to a great extent, so there are probably quite a few diesel mechanic jobs there too.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
There used to be a member on here named Sharky that posted a ton of pics with some serious trenched out riding.[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure sharky wadded that sled up a bit a season or two back and had it listed on craigslist. I miss his pics he used to post, looked like he never had a dull moment:face-icon-small-hap

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
I'm pretty sure sharky wadded that sled up a bit a season or two back and had it listed on craigslist. I miss his pics he used to post, looked like he never had a dull moment:face-icon-small-hap

Never having a dull moment must have caught up with him huh? His pictures of endless powder really stuck a knife into our lack of riding that year.

T

TonyG

Feb 21, 2010
Haines Alaska
Never having a dull moment must have caught up with him huh? His pictures of endless powder really stuck a knife into our lack of riding that year.

If this is the same sharky I have worked with he is a plumber and crashed his four wheeler. He has been out for over eight months healing up. I'll ask around for more info. Tony

SEAKM8

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
AK
I have a buddy that lives there and he says there is some good riding there.

Premium Features