• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Join SnoWest at Togwotee for a 3 day Snowmobile Avalanche Level 1 Course

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Mods:

Myself and my two sons are all signed up for the American Avalanche Institute's "Snowmobile Avalanche Level 1 Course" on January 20th in Jackson Wyoming.

https://www.americanavalancheinstitute.com/snowmobile-avalanche-level-1-course/

I contacted Mike Duffy to set up this course as "I" wanted myself and my son's to get MUCH better trained in how to be safe in Avalanche territory AND to know exactly what to do in the event that one of us gets caught in an Avalanche. The course has 11 slots and we have taken the first 3. there are 4 open slots left.

I would like to extend a personal invitation to my SnoWest buddies to PLEASE seriously consider joining us for this course. To be perfectly Blunt, MY LIFE could well depend on YOU knowing how to rescue me if I got caught in a slide. Yup, I am SELFISH like that, I want to survive and come home to see my lovely wife and children again.! But it goes both ways, myself and my son's will all be properly trained now, so if YOU are riding with us and YOU get caught, WE will know what to do to rescue you!!

As a Mountain Riding Community, we ALL NEED TO UP OUR GAME! This is a great opportunity.

We spend a ton of money on our Sleds and our Gear. Lets make a small investment in coming home alive for our families!

COURSE DESCRIPTION

This special course has been developed specifically for snowmobilers and snow bike riders.

Avalanche Fundamentals
The Level 1 provides a solid foundation in avalanche knowledge and skills. The AAI Backcountry Avalanche Checklist helps to focus the curriculum around a systematic approach to sorting and prioritizing information in the complex environment of decision-making in the backcountry. Forty percent of the course is classroom based and the other sixty percent is field based. We will travel in the backcountry, in and around avalanche terrain. Snowmobiles and snow bikes will be used in class to access terrain. Vehicles not provided. Must be able to ride off trail in powder and varied snow conditions in mountainous terrain. Requires intermediate backcountry snowmobile skills.
This course focuses on the following:

• Basic avalanche terminology
  • Recognizing avalanche terrain
  • Travel procedures in avalanche terrain
  • Formation of the mountain snowpack
  • How weather changes the snowpack
  • Human factors and how they can influence decision-making
  • Interpreting the avalanche forecast bulletin
  • Ride planning
  • Avalanche transceiver use and rescue skills
  • Field observations of terrain, snowpack, and weather
  • Basic use and interpretation of stability tests
  • Use of the Backcountry Avalanche Checklist in the field to provide a system for prioritizing information, working as a team, and minimizing possible human factor traps
  • Classroom decision-making scenarios to practice use of the checklist
  • Next steps
Prerequisites

• Wyoming snowmobile registration sticker required in class.
  • Snowmobile not provided

Last edited:
Premium Features