• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is Power line pass open

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
IQRIDR- i feel ya with the 10-15 rides, im on my 12th ride in a row with ZERO problems but my starter housing falling off, haha. people sometimes dont appreciate the TLC it takes for mods lol

W

Winter Project

Dec 3, 2007
Anchorage / Gwood
www.myspace.com
Rode the pass this afternoon/tonight. About three fifths of the way to the pass there is a chute on the left hand side just past the opening to the other valley. Was just screwin' off climbing up through the 50 yard wide chute twice, on the second run i looked between my first track and my second track and saw a huge 10x10 piece of snow break off, looked in front of me the and the entire chute turned into a river. I floored it as much as she had, made it to a higher spot that was wind blown, parked in disbelief, then watched the longest 15 seconds of my life as my brother was messing with the front end of his sled not knowing what was coming toward him... i felt incredibly helpless... luckily my other buddy rob saw the entire thing and was yelling at my brother, eventually he heard, jumped on his sled... drove about 8 yards before hitting a wind drift and losing it sideways.... got on his feet and ran about another 8 yards, only to turn back and see the slide ended right at his snow flap. The slide dumped a good 10-15 feet at the bottom. My first avalanche ever, also the first time i didn't wear my beacon all year, go figure.

Aside from that, extremely wind blown up there, but fun spots can be found if you look. Worth it if you have limited time to ride.

Crazy sssssss****!

B
Feb 12, 2006
Eagle River
Glad you both made it out of the way in time!!! Definitely not a tradition that needs to continue! Betcha you're gonna wear that beacon now!

BTW ~ thanks for the vote :D

D
Dec 4, 2007
anyone ever drop down into ship lake? I know its out of bounds but I know thats not what stops people, just wondering if its doable looks pretty steep

A
Nov 30, 2007
alaska
Dang Trav, that is crazy. Glad you made it out.

I make sure I always look around goin up and damn sure look back up the mountain on my way down.

O
Jan 15, 2008
Powerline pass is closed

Anchorage Hillside & Eagle River Snow Machine Areas Closed
Chugach State Park staff has determined that due to the recent high temperatures the snow depth is inadequate to protect underlying vegetation and has closed the Anchorage Hillside and Mile 7.4 Eagle River Road Access to snow machine area at 5:00 p.m. January 22, 2008.

Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, AK
Trav, its nice to hear stories like that with a no one got hurt ending, seems like you usually only hear about the not so fortunate. I was riding at Lost lake last weekend, first time in 5 years without my beacon on and watched a guy bust loose a small slide, immediately put it on, didn't have any big problems that day just some small cornices break off but nothing that buried anyone. :beer;

Premium Features