• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Interested in your D8 M8 experience this season

Ak riders.

How are your 2009 Polaris Dragon/RMK 800s and Cat M8s working out for you this year? Looking mainly for engine reliability info and or general sled issues. If you have regular riding partners with late model 800 long tracks any performance comparisons would be welcome.

Not really interested in XP info as I have been there and done that. Please dont start a pee pee match:(, just interested in your 09 sled experience.

Thanks in advance, MTNSLD

well i rode with a 09 m8 and 09 d8 or maybe it was a 08d8 but i would give the edge to the arctic cat. They did a real good job with the rails and tunnel design. the new track does not hurt much either. The Poo Makes great Power But i don't think their 163 track was the right choice. Either way your gona be neck and neck with eachother.

tough choice. not sure which i would go with if i was buy new. some of the d8's are still having a stumbling issue others are not. road one this weekend and i was trying to find it. if i did find it, it was so minimal that it would never be an issue. plus he had another cdi to try which was suppose to be even better. i'll give you an update once i get a report. it was completely stock with just a single pipe (don't hardly consider that a mod anymore) honestly i could be completely happy with that sled in stock form. (i know, i know, but yes i could) i spent some time on it in 1-2 feet of fresh snow and on a pack trail. very impressive and very strong running. another thing to consider is the new poos have the upgraded sway bar and wow, what a difference. i wish i had it and am even considering upgrading all of the plastics and mounts on mine so i can put it on. (i run without one now) it really is that much better. really makes the front end feel light.

then again, the new m8s are pretty nice. cat leaves a lot of power on the table that is easy to get too. the cats don't hit as hard, especially off the bottom end but that is fairly easy to "fix". their motors are probably more reliable, as you don't hear about too many m8's blowing motors, where as with the d8's if you cruise the polaris threads there are still those with motor issues. how prevalent it is, is hard to say but more so than with the cats. the m sleds are also the only ones that i feel as comfortable on right away as i do with mine. i think they handle pretty close to the same, with the cats maybe being slightly easier to ride in deep snow but the poos are superior on the trail. the cats have had diamond drive issues the last couple of years but they may have that fixed now with the electronic reverse. your secondary options are not at good on the cats as on the poos. don't think you can get a team on a cat? could be wrong though. know that there has been some issues with the stock secondary's going bad. (at least on the 07s and 08s)

both are nice, that would be a tough choice for me if i was buying new. don't know if i told you anything you didn't already know but that's pretty much the extent of my knowledge.

pv

edit: as you know i feel the new polaris (5.1) tracks are only ok. and so far the new powder claw on the cats are pretty darn impressive. although they come in both an 80 and 90 durometer (sp?) so you have to make sure you get the one you want. i think the 90 is only on the hcr as of now, which is suppose to be more for the hillcross/hillclimb race aspect.

Last edited:
I have an 07 summit adrenaline 800R 144. I rode Race's Assault this weekend and was totally impressed. It had the SLP pipe and can setup, v-force reeds, and the polaris series 5 (i think) track on it. What a ripper; clean smooth power and I love the chassis. I know its not a dragon, but that motor was pretty impressive.

09 M8:
- the powder claw track is for real, most guys are running this stock track on big HP turbos and not folding the lugs over
- the new bumper was huge for deep POW, they finally caught up with the 04 rev
- pipes/head/jug porting from Cutlers will have an M8 pushhing 190ish...a buddy has one that rips and he can make it dance
- everyone knows the M sleds have tons of room for easy HP
- the steering post application is still lacking, needs another crossmember mounted from the top of the triangle to the airbox air (somehow)...have not seen the new asjustable break yet, but they do get loose a bit...not that noticeable when you ride
- the M still makes the REV/XP feel like a rigid hard to carve mother trucker, i still have a rev so dont think im dissin what i dont have, they are hard to ride over the Ms and dragons
- i have removed everything on REV/XP/M that you can imagine....and the M is very very easy to work on, less maintenance time and quicker fixes
- the Diamond Drive still needs the tuffer BDX gears
- the rear fox float needs to go, replace with Zbros triple spring....i think the complete EZ-ride is the ticket for this sled, same movement as the M10...but costs much less
- damn i love the easy flipper on an EFI:D

09 D8
- the stock seat is the best on the market
- never seen a really good running D8 that was not turbo'd
- the boards with some betterboards are the best feel i have ever ridden...very flat and wide, perfect spot for a MX rider feel
- the steering is still wicked easy, feels like they have power steering
- too much plastic near the engine IMO, stuff melts when you add a pipe

I'm on an 07 M8 141" but with many mods that make it similar to an 09. With just a Y-pipe and can this sled rocks, I came off of an 07 m1000, and haven't looked back. Maybe mine is just an anti-lemon, but I don't know why people claim that the motor lacks power, granted I never rode it stock. I am not impressed with the fit and finish of the Polaris, take a look at the hood to body fit, gapping holes, and if they can't get the hood to fit what else is sub-par? I know several people who have ridden, including myself, the 08 D8 and think it's gutless (stock), though I've heard that the 09 are better. Don't get caught up in the numbers game, that is hp vs hp doesn't tell the tale. Not trying to bash on Polaris', but you wanted opinions. That all being said they're both great fukin' sleds!

We went riding up in Petersville yesterday. I have an 07 M8 162 and my buddy has an 09 dragon 163. I rode his D8 and was extremely impressed at how easy it was to throw around. It handled like a dream. We lined them up and climbed side by side. My M8 seems to float better on the snow and I did out climb him but he is a little bigger guy than me. We did not swap and try it again. But they are both awesome sleds! The 09 M8 with the new power claw track would be my pick! But that D8 would certainly be my 2nd choice!

Here are a coupld of our pictures for the day. He pulled me out once and I yanked him out once! Its a tie! We had soooo much fun! Then he broke his wrist:(

IMG_2789.jpg

IMG_2791.jpg

BillN.jpg

Premium Features

Back