• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

increase registration fees on snowmobiles

Please email or call your representative on your opinion of an increase in the annual cost of snowmobile registration fees to $20.00

Suggestion Position:

To local state Representative:

The current effort to increase registration fees on snowmobiles from $5.00 to $10.00 per year is not founded. The basis for current efforts is solely on faulty and incomplete data gathered at a winter show last October in Anchorage. Participants at the show were asked to complete the survey and asked if they would support an increase in fees if trails in and around the Anchorage area were improved. The number of completed surveys was near 500. This survey does not include riders or clubs such as the Interior of Alaska or other areas outside of Anchorage.
Since the Department of Natural Resources and State Parks does not receive full funding from the nearly 55,000 snowmobiles registered and the amount given to SnowTrac is capped at $200,000.00 per year, we cannot support any increase to a fund that is used for programs enjoyed by multiple users and other non-motorized participants that receive benefits solely at the expense of the motorized user.

Until the current system is improved so that the amount of vehicles registered equals the amount of funds received at the SnowTrac advisory panel established by the Legislature is received, we cannot support any efforts to increase our fees.

---------------------------

Sen. Joe Paskvan
P.O. Box 71976
Fairbanks, AK 99707
Senator_Joe_Paskvan@legis.state.ak.us

Rep. David Guttenberg
State Capitol, Room 418
Juneau, AK 99801-1182
907-465-4457
800-928-4457
fax: 907-465-3519

Rep. Scott Kawasaki
State Capitol, Room 428
Juneau, AK 99801-1182
907-465-3466
fax: 907-465-2937
Rep_Scott_Kawasaki@legis.state.ak.us

Rep. Mike Kelly
State Capitol, Room 513
907-465-4976
866-465-4976
fax: 907-465-3883
Rep_Mike_Kelly@legis.state.ak.us

Rep. Jay Ramras
State Capitol, Room 118
Juneau, AK 99801-1182
907-465-3004
877-465-3004
fax: 907-465-2070
Rep_Jay_Ramras@legis.state.ak.us

Sen. Gene Therriault
Legislative Session Contact:
State Capitol, Room 427
Juneau, AK 99801-1182
907-465-4797
800-860-4797
fax: 907-465-3884
Senator_Gene_Therriault@legis.state.ak.us

Sen. Joe Thomas
State Capitol, Room 510
Juneau, AK 99801-1182
907-465-2327
fax: 907-465-5241
Senator_Joe_Thomas@legis.state.ak.us

John Coghill
State Capitol, Room 214
Juneau, AK 99801-1182
907-465-3719
877-465-3719
fax: 907-465-3258
Rep_John_Coghill@legis.state.ak.us

Ill just not register my sled, like usual. Why register then pay too park, skiers arent registering their skiis, and ride for free. ill just ride dirty and not ride at hatchers or turnagain

To hell with them I say, I haven't registered in years... they can take their sticker and place it where the sun don't shine... I have been known to dis like communism and rebel against it occasoinally.:D Taxation without representation is illegal, and thats all that sticker is.

Chena,
What agency is pushing for the increase. After I read your post I called my Rep, Bob Lynn, and his first question was who is pushing this.

Thanks

If snowmachiners have to register to ride our sleds in State Parks, shouldnt the skiers have to do the same?

I honestly dont care though, $20 is fine with me. How about they take the money and fix our trails to our riding areas or open up more parking in other places??

If snowmachiners have to register to ride our sleds in State Parks, shouldnt the skiers have to do the same?

I honestly dont care though, $20 is fine with me. How about they take the money and fix our trails to our riding areas or open up more parking in other places??

You hit the nail on the head Summit. That is a small fee to pay, IF they would actually spend it on what the money is intended for. Decent parking lots at main trail heads for starters. The parking situation around this state is a joke. And we are talking a winter activity, so the parking lots don't have to be much at all in terms of fill and solid. Just a cleared, open level place to park. Long over due in MANY areas.

Last edited:
I e-mailed every one of them. Thanks for the addresses-- here i threw in a bone for them all;

"I further argue that if snowmachiners are taxed with registration fee’s to ride in Alaska State parks, then it is only fair to extend that same responsibility to skier’s and snowboarders. Both skiers and snowboarders enjoy some of the same areas as us snowmachiners without “paying their part”. Its argued that the registration fee’s are used to care and maintain the muti-use areas, so this burden should not be on snowmachiners alone.

If this responsibility was to be extended to skiers and snowboarders then the State would not have to increase the fee. This is the fair and responsible action for all of us who enjoy Alaska."

I e-mailed every one of them. Thanks for the addresses-- here i threw in a bone for them all;

"I further argue that if snowmachiners are taxed with registration fee’s to ride in Alaska State parks, then it is only fair to extend that same responsibility to skier’s and snowboarders. Both skiers and snowboarders enjoy some of the same areas as us snowmachiners without “paying their part”. Its argued that the registration fee’s are used to care and maintain the muti-use areas, so this burden should not be on snowmachiners alone.

If this responsibility was to be extended to skiers and snowboarders then the State would not have to increase the fee. This is the fair and responsible action for all of us who enjoy Alaska."
Nice

Hi guys not sure how your state does it. These is what WA state does Lic sled $35.00 "we are talking of bumping that up hear" free snow park permit with lic. of sled. You sale the snow park permits at a store for the skier`s charge $60.00 for there snow park permits so they pay there way. If you have a Gas tax get that money and try for all of that. Sale tax of New sled sold in AK get that money to if you can.Not sure you have a sale tax in the state to. And not sure what i left out to boot. Just pitching some ideas to you guys..:beer;:D

Spindrifter
ASSA (Alaska State Snowmobile ***.)had a questionnaire at the winter show last fall asking if you like to see more groom trails (and who doesn’t want more groom trails) ASSA goes to DNR with this endorsement and got them on board.

Not quite seeing it.....

I register mine each year, but have yet to put on the sticker. As I understand it, 100% of my registration fees goes to Snowmobile related activities, grooming, signs, grants etc. If this is true I would support a 200% increase. I and my wife do enjoy all the services in a season.

Spindrifter
ASSA (Alaska State Snowmobile ***.)had a questionnaire at the winter show last fall asking if you like to see more groom trails (and who doesn’t want more groom trails) ASSA goes to DNR with this endorsement and got them on board.

ASSA is writing it and DNR is giving input on how it should it read.

You hit the nail on the head Summit. That is a small fee to pay, IF they would actually spend it on what the money is intended for. Decent parking lots at main trail heads for starters. The parking situation around this state is a joke. And we are talking a winter activity, so the parking lots don't have to be much at all in terms of fill and solid. Just a cleared, open level place to park. Long over due in MANY areas.

X2 Ultra-rider. I am originally from Wyoming, with a sled population considerably less than here. The sticker is $15 per sled per year. The over 1,300 miles of trails, pull-outs, signage, etc. are maintaned with that $15 by the STATE. And quite exeptionally by the way. Some new maintained trails to get to the back country and some decent parking lots here in AK would be nice. I would be happy to pay more, but not until the state starts using the money for it's intended purpose. Where does our $ for this stupid sticker actually get spent?

The same places most of our tax dollars go... Which still doesnt answer the question!!

Maybe some of our more educated forum members should take one for the team and get into AK politics and start making a stand for the rest of us. Id appreciate that! A nice trail and more parking at Pville would be dope.

The state issued a grant last year and paid people to groom the trails around the state. Aren't they doing a great job? NOT!!!!!!!

Fees Fees and more FEES

They have stabbed me enough times at the gas pump, at the dealership, and at the DMV, the coffee house, the snack bar on the way to ride, the sandwich shop, the sporting goods store........heck I already paid a couple hundred dollars tax when I bought the SOB'n machine in the first place, and they want an annual property tax levy??? and a registration????

The FEES dont do crap for our sport except give them a budget to fly a chopper around and harrass us when we 'cross the lines' and take away our 'privilidge' to use OUR land. The reg money just feeds their ability to f*ck with us. Example: Resurrection, or Carter/Crescent whenever they feel like it they just close it to motorized access and give it to the greenies who PAY NOTHING.

Then nobody uses the trail because there isnt ONE... until WE pack them down....

They way I see it the State should 'let me' ride on the trails my father and his friends built back in the 60's and they should PAY ME for his tenacity to cut the SOB out and make it a trail in the first place....without them those trails wouldnt exist.... THEY came along and ransacked the Chugach forest and all that area FROM US....and now they want to charge us to use it!

I carry my .45 and aint buying no stickers. They can JAM IT up there arse.

Grants for what? Poppy-****!
Programs for who? its all Lies!

GO DO THE SURVEY AND BE CAREFUL HOW YOU ANSWER THESE Q's
http://www.alaskastateparks.org/

At least you can get permission to ride on private land!

The State and the Feds want to BUY more private land (with OUR money) and MAKE MORE PARKS (with our FEES) so they can LOCK IT UP!

More of that Clinton Era wilderness crap its coming....

Put down the gun and take a breath........

What's the .45 got to do with anything but tough talk? :confused:

There are plenty of trail grants being utilized by the 1:1 funding we pay to the State of Alaska. Maybe not in your area but they are very visible and used in "my area."

I believe the Moose Access Trail (big swath of clearing, that is groomed to help moose avoid the Highway) that goes from Willow to Trapper Creek is but one of them. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Then there is the very well mainitained Chulitna Bluffs Trail.

I beleive the new signange that appered last year in Petersville is from this. (once again, if I'm wrong.....)

And also the mega trail from Big Lake to Denali Park that just opened is a fruit from this tree.

1:1 funding is almost unheard of in any goverment program. 100% of your registration fees do go to Snowmobile only, related activities. (Grants, PSA's, education, grooming, trail designation/declaration)

It does not get much better than this.

Again, I ride a heck of alot, all over the state, I'm not all that picky but can recognize when something is missing, and I've yet to see something glaringly absent from Valdez to Paxson.

And just imagine what could be done with more money. And how much are we talking here really, $20.00 per sled currently?

Have you ever calculated your dollars spent, per miles ridden (DSPMR) for a season? This is but a drop in the bucket for most.

And come on, who wouldn't want to sport the trendy, reflective sticker anyway?

Premium Features

Back