• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

in Need aluminum welded

S
Nov 26, 2007
Houston ALASKA
l_98fb4a6a2e454a30a8b3fe552e2288af.jpg

Got my sled torn apart and noticed some cracks developing on my rails. there is a total of 6 cracks. longest one is about 6mm. where is a goood place to get these cracks welded up before they grow anymore?

S
Nov 26, 2007
I would drill a small hole at the end of the crack to keep it from spreading and then have it welded up. Most welding shops can handle aluminum.

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
If you're in the valley call Alaska Weld 907-841-4323. He only charges $65/hr and does the nicest aluminum welding I've ever seen. I've had him weld stuff for me on a few different occasions now and couldn't be happier.

B
Nov 26, 2007
ak
just a heads up.. if u r welding on those rails the heat needed to produce the weld is going to weaken the rails around the weld.. your best bet if cost is no option is new rails ...:D if cost is the option :mad:then find a rail brace from a race sled or whatever is available and bolt it on... :Dyou willbe pissed if u break a rail out in the sticks.. ask around there ar plenty of guys with different opinions but think about worst case senerios. if u jump or pound the trail then bolting on a brace is your best bet.:beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;

M
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks
If your in Fairbanks, the best place to have it welded is at Holaday-Parks, make sure no matter where you go that they weld it using Tig. If you use a wire feed (mig) set up, they will crack out again.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Holaday-Parks does good work but charges a lot for small projects. I needed about 2 minutes worth of welding with zero prep time done on my old RMK and they wanted $65 for the job, said they couldn't make money on it charging less than an hour.

I took it to a shop off S Cush and had it done for $20 on the spot.

Just my rant on Holaday :D

If you decide to get new rails there's a guy on the forums who does custom rails cheaper than you can get stock ones. I think his business is Ice Age Manufacturing?

M
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks
Holaday does 1/4 hr jobs all day everyday, I know because I did a few today. Of course if your getting a quote, it just depends on who you talk to. Yes we do charge more then some other shops, but we usually do the best work in town. Just my rant on Holaday (LOL!!!)

S

SnowFlinger

Jan 9, 2008
Anchorage
www.myspace.com
just a heads up.. if u r welding on those rails the heat needed to produce the weld is going to weaken the rails around the weld.. your best bet if cost is no option is new rails ...:D if cost is the option :mad:then find a rail brace from a race sled or whatever is available and bolt it on... :Dyou willbe pissed if u break a rail out in the sticks.. ask around there ar plenty of guys with different opinions but think about worst case senerios. if u jump or pound the trail then bolting on a brace is your best bet.:beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;

Yes, I agree with the blome, I take it the micro fractures are from aggressive riding? If those are ski-doo rails from a summit, they could use some extra strength to go along with it's stamina. I did a quick search and found these Ski-Doo SUMMIT RAIL REINFORCEMENT brackets at this link> http://www.tomssnowmobile.com/productdetail.htm?productId=7062426&catalogId=1342 Hope this helps and :beer; up.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Houston ALASKA
Talked with Alaska Weld and he said it is not a good idea to weld as it will be brittle like many of you have said. He suggested to just get some stainless steel brackets and bolt them on and watch the cracks to make sure they dont grow anymore.
thanks for all the info. Is there any aftermarket rail supports for M7's?

B
Feb 28, 2008
wasilla
Talked with Alaska Weld and he said it is not a good idea to weld as it will be brittle like many of you have said. He suggested to just get some stainless steel brackets and bolt them on and watch the cracks to make sure they dont grow anymore.
thanks for all the info. Is there any aftermarket rail supports for M7's?
amds should have brace kits in stock, only problem is it is more for the center of the rail but what you do is drill your own holes so you can move it any where you want. (six bolts per brace) i think i paid like $50 last year. weld is a very bad idea unless you want a new set of rails.

C
Jan 26, 2002
Alaska
I think he has an M7...at least thats what his last post says. I dont think the doo braces will work on his sled.

What I would suggest...2 things

Get some flat bar steel or aluminum from Home Depot, like 1 x 1/8 and drill some holes and mount it directly on top of the ridge on your existing rail. Or better yet, sandwich the aluminum with 2 reinforcements. Make sure you stop drill the crack, or it will keep growing....I promise!

Or, what I would do. Contact "IceAge Mfg" here on the forums. He makes custom aftermarket rails for any sled, and Im pretty sure the pair costs about what one OEM rail costs, and I bet they are stronger.

contact info from profile:
IceAge Mfg.
Custom Slide Rails and Billet Accessories
218-463-5080
mike@wiktel.com
http://iceagemfg.com

I have only heard good things about his rails. Do a search, and come up with your own opinion.

Good luck

Joe

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I'm glad you took everyone's advice. Most of us at one time or another have tried to weld rails and I think we've all had the same results. At best, the rails broke. Worse, they stabbed the track when they did and your are out another $500. Worse yet, the sudden stop cost you major doctor bill$!!! Buy a set from ice age and consider it money well spent!

Premium Features