• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I say, get rid of the penny.

Should they keep the penny?

• No, I hate the excess coinage.

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • No, because it is a waste of money.

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Yes, because I collect pennies.

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Yes because it is has history.

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters
M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
Why not round up to the nearest nickle??

I am sure copper would be more affordable...

Just wondering what y'all think.

I myself am tired of the piles of pennies after you empty out your pockets.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Not going to go away anytime soon. I think a lot of bad things would happen without the penny.

If you don't like pennies, use plastic.

And if you don't want 'em, send them to me. I'll be happy to take 'em off your hands.

N

Nate

Apr 22, 2006
Northeast Wyoming/Mission Viejo California
pretty damn stupid our government spends more to make our penny than its actually worth :rolleyes: good job america.

Sometimes it pays to be an electrician, 600' of 750MCM cable is whats gonna purchase my fuel this year :)

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
I still like to have it ...always rounding up to get bigger coins back or bills..I think they still have their place plus the kids like em

The console in my truck heaps over with pennies and even if I try to get exact change, I always end up with more pennies.
Now if they made every price in 5 cent incraments such as 2.95$, then the penny would not be needed.

one roll of pennies is 50 cents, it takes hours upon hours to roll up 30 bucks worth,,,,

Sure the kids like them, but the penny would be even more special, if it was not as common.:cool: You will see someday, there will be a penny round up, and the governments will realize how many millions of dollars of uncirculated money that they won't be able to reimburse. They will not even recognize it's worthyness and give you zero for it. The penny is a write off according to the government..:D

redlineguy

Lifetime Membership
May 11, 2004
CT
It costs the GOV $.014 to make the .01 coin. Just one more way the GOV is pizzing away OUR MONEY!!! I say get rid of it. The nickle is not far of either, Cost to make VS face value.

H

H2SNOW

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 19, 2005
North of 60 ...Deep Deep in the bush ......
The console in my truck heaps over with pennies and even if I try to get exact change, I always end up with more pennies.
Now if they made every price in 5 cent incraments such as 2.95$, then the penny would not be needed.

one roll of pennies is 50 cents, it takes hours upon hours to roll up 30 bucks worth,,,,

Sure the kids like them, but the penny would be even more special, if it was not as common.:cool: You will see someday, there will be a penny round up, and the governments will realize how many millions of dollars of uncirculated money that they won't be able to reimburse. They will not even recognize it's worthyness and give you zero for it. The penny is a write off according to the government..:D

thats if sales tax wasn't in the picture....

I seee where yer goin

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
You know the government wouldn't round down, so they'll round up. Make millions extra a year, and save millions on making pennies. Just think of it this way, 40 years ago things were 20 times cheaper, so we really needed 1/20 pennies back then, but that'd be stupid. So today, couldn't we get by with 5/1 pennies (nickels) only?? I think we'd survive.

It's a little like Zimbabwe their exchange rate is $1.00 = Z$12,226,034,517 (US dollar to Zimbabwe Dollar)

Should they still print Z$1 bills?

redlineguy

Lifetime Membership
May 11, 2004
CT
You know the government wouldn't round down, so they'll round up. Make millions extra a year, and save millions on making pennies. Just think of it this way, 40 years ago things were 20 times cheaper, so we really needed 1/20 pennies back then, but that'd be stupid. So today, couldn't we get by with 5/1 pennies (nickels) only?? I think we'd survive.

It's a little like Zimbabwe their exchange rate is $1.00 = Z$12,226,034,517 (US dollar to Zimbabwe Dollar)

Should they still print Z$1 bills?

I wish we had $500 and $1,000 dollar bills. I pay cash all the time and it would be nice to have some bigger bill's in use.

M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
If the penny goes away all state sales tax will go up to 10 cents on the dollar. So how much would that cost you every year, more than a couple bucks.

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
The state percentage doesn't have to change, they just round your total plus sales tax, up to the nearest 5 cents. The states will make about 2.5 cents more on every purchase you make. You buy a $100 cart of wally world items made in china, the state might get an additional 3 cents for that one sale. If you pay cash. Checks and credit card can still use pennies. It's not huge money, but it will boost state economies a little. Feds won't get anything more.

It will suck if you buy a 5 cent piece of gum, and it cost you 10 cents with tax.

Premium Features