• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I have a few ?'s

cubby

Premium Member
I own a 04 rev 800 144". I'am tring to get just alittle more hp out of it. I have asked around about a aftermarket pipe and that doesn't sound like a good way to get it, but what about a head? From what I have heard on here is that winter brew probly has the best clutch set ups. So winter brew do I have to send you my stuff or can you point me in the right direction? I pretty much just ride the big horns and alittle bit around town which is about 2400' ele. Any suggestions would be great. :beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;

RKT head....and we are working on our pre-800R clutch setups('04-'06 REV), should have something out early winter. We have spent our time on the '07 Rev and XP setups and have those available.
Big John has some more extensive engine packages that have been proven....just depends on what you went to spend.

I had an 04 rev 144 that I stretched to a 151 with the powdermax track. I went with DJ clutching and loved it, made a huge difference on the stock sled, best money I ever spent on that sled. And with the currencty exchange they are usually pretty reasonable and are spot on with his recommendations.

I don't know how much you want to spend but I did a port and polish, with a sleeper head through Tom's snowmobile. He has porting and head done by RLE. The head you could get multiple domes if you wanted. The jugs were a swap and he has them fresh nikasiled before he send them to you. They ran $590 for the set plus $290 for the head. I did that along with his jetting recommendation and put a modified 07 airbox on the sled and man did it rip. My buddy also had a 04 159" rev with team clutching and a RKT drop in kit and I could wax him all day long. Not sure if it was his clutching or what but he spent more money since he ran an aftermarket can and blew it up once.

I highly recommend this setup for the money. My other buddy also had a 860 kit not by Big John which I told him to go through but someone else. He had a different clutching than me also so all that plays a factor but I could out pull him on a lake drag and sled for sled mine could pull just as hard as his.

My group of riders I rode with consisted of the 07 860, an 04 with the RKT drop in, an 06 with DJ clutching, and an 04 144 with dj clutching and my setup ran strong for what I put into it.

Just a thought, but you wouldn't be disappointed for the money.

Thanks for the cheers on the kit :devil:

For 04 model with the stock 415 ramps this kit comes with 1 primary spring / 14~20.5g pin kit / SMT helix
Run clicker 3 with 17g for up to 8000 and higher either clicker 4 or go 16g
Stock 166 belt
........hammer down!

Reg $265 but on sale for $235 (about $210 USD)
Best to fill out this FORM

I been away running heavy equipment so it has been exceptionally difficult to get to my office here to answer emails.
I can answer forum messages at home but not my info@mxzx-revzone.com email until after this weekend coming up.

I will be getting to the office more now that work is finally slowing down a bit and getting off a bit earlier time wise.

Well I have about a thousand to spend as long asa the g/f don't find out so it looks like I will be putting a DJ clutch kit in and probaly a rkt head. Hopefully I will be able to out do me friends stock 08 xp800 this year, that will shut him up!!HAHAHAHAHA:D

good choice on the clutch kit and head. If funds ever permit later down the road I would recommend going to a 151" powdermax track that you can get from tracks usa. But being you are an 04 it would mean you need to get new drivers the track and extensions close to 1g right there.

The clutch is by far the best bang for the buck, the head is a good choice for higher elevations as well.

Well I have about a thousand to spend as long asa the g/f don't find out so it looks like I will be putting a DJ clutch kit in and probaly a rkt head. Hopefully I will be able to out do me friends stock 08 xp800 this year, that will shut him up!!HAHAHAHAHA:D

Got news for ya, with $1000 on yer 04 144, you still won't be shutting up the 08 XP. You will be close, but won't take it (depending upon your rider weight of each sled.)

Lots of good setup advices here, mine would be:
  • HPS can = $250
  • Gearing = $100
  • Big John clutching (Primary kit & team $450)
  • Cut Head = $100
  • BNG & :beer; = $100

Got news for ya, with $1000 on yer 04 144, you still won't be shutting up the 08 XP. You will be close, but won't take it (depending upon your rider weight of each sled.)

Lots of good setup advices here, mine would be:
  • HPS can = $250
  • Gearing = $100
  • Big John clutching (Primary kit & team $450)
  • Cut Head = $100
  • BNG & :beer; = $100

Already have the hps can, but what is the gearing you recommend going with? I am sure that what I have now is stock what ever that is.:face-icon-small-hap

Honestly... your major limiting factor is the 144/16/2 track...I have a 146/16/2.25 (XP track) and would be a huge improvement... you need 2.86 8 tooth drivers...HPS is good...stock head is a high compression...I also recomend my 2 ring pistons and mtn. TT kit...

my list for you-

146 track/drivers/gearing
2 ring pistons/TT kit
SHR or DJ clutching

would get you alot higher on the hill than more hp with the stock track...BJ

Well two years ago I replaced the pistons with wisco and they are two ring pistons so am I alright there? And Big JOhn how much is a track like that worth? So maybe I will change the gearing. Now I read about a reprogramming of the mpem by rkt is this a worth while upgrade or not?

Oh, I forgot about the big TT kit by Big John. That is a definite must. That and DJ clutching were my first 2 mods and made a huge difference. I would go with the TT kit, clutch and save some pennies for the track and drivers. I know Big John makes a great clutch kit too, either one you won't be disappointed, just for cost the DJ kit is the way to go, unless you decide to step up to the roller secondary.

It will make it a whole new machine.

Well two years ago I replaced the pistons with wisco and they are two ring pistons so am I alright there? And Big JOhn how much is a track like that worth? So maybe I will change the gearing. Now I read about a reprogramming of the mpem by rkt is this a worth while upgrade or not?

If you want to climb higher on the hills, 1st thing wouldbe to get a longer track.. the 144" is nice but it will never make the high mark no matter how much power you have under the hood.. The stock 07 Challenger ski doo track is the best track out there that will not have you change the drivers.

Gearing: if you gear lower, you WILL lose performance. best gearing for a 144 or 151 track would be 20/45 or 21/45. any lower and performance will suffer greatly.

You already have 2 ring pistons, so no need to change those unless they have many miles on them..

Going to a head that works will be huge and help with fuel mileage also.. You can call me anytime to discuss those options.

Clutching: Big John or DJ or Rooster built both work well with the button clutch like you have..

Make SURE the primary rollers are healthy and the secondary buttons are not worn too far.
Change primary spring to a 130-290 or 160-290 regardless of what oter clutching you install.

Kelsey

Last edited:
Well I went through the clutch last year and replaced all the o-rings and buttons, and the springs but I don't remember what I replaced them with but I'am sure they were stock. Do you guys know what color the 130-290 or the 160-290 should be. I ordered the clutch kit from DJ's today so I really cann't wait for it snow. I will also be ordering the rkt head in a week or so then gearing and I will be set this year, then maybe next year will be the track.

Well I went through the clutch last year and replaced all the o-rings and buttons, and the springs but I don't remember what I replaced them with but I'am sure they were stock. Do you guys know what color the 130-290 or the 160-290 should be. I ordered the clutch kit from DJ's today so I really cann't wait for it snow. I will also be ordering the rkt head in a week or so then gearing and I will be set this year, then maybe next year will be the track.

160/290 Purple /Blue
130/290 Blue/Blue
160/320 Purple/Purple (also a good spring, do not go higher than the 320finish)

Ya dont gear down unless your a big fella. I tried it on the hill one day to compare not much diffrence between 46 and 45 tooth but a 47 it would rev like hell and not go anywhere. That was with a dj setup.. Had a team wasnt real impressed with it .Coudnt find a setup better than djs and i got alot of imput from people on here for a setup..For the money get a head and a clutch kit. You ever need new pistons go with kelseys dropins,they flat rip ,i have a buddy with a full mod russ lemke engine in the exact sled as mine and i could beat him up all day and even a few xps..

Thanks so much people you guys are always great help!!! Why don't you all go have a few:beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;

Will be ordering the rkt head here shortly, but no one really responed to the reprogramming of the mpem do you think it is a good upgrade?

Gearing: if you gear lower, you WILL lose performance. best gearing for a 144 or 151 track would be 20/45 or 21/45. any lower and performance will suffer greatly

Ok,enuf is enuf, this comment qualifies for one the dumbest comments of the year (If not in the top 5 ever in of the life of the 4m).

Kelsey, you make one of the finest heads out there (and I am sincere in this) but you don't know DIK about tuning and modding to fit a riders needs.

Here's the scoop, take what you suggested;

Stock motor or no changes to that sleds current mods & add your suggested gearing (20/45 or 21/45).

THEN

Take the same stock motor or no changes to that sleds current mods, and add my suggested LOWER gearing ( 19/46 or 19/47) and I bet you that the sled with the lower gearing kicks the sheat out of your suggested higher gearing in the mountains (I have already proved this ), take yer pick, meadow racing, powder climbing or straight uphill mountain drag race.........................

Last edited:

2 years on a set of wisecos??? I would have a look see on them...the track is your limiting factor...a 144/2" with 150 hp wont climb were a 146/2.25 (or bigger 151/2.25) with 140 hp will...BJ

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back