• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How to tow or ride to get to the goods

A
Jan 9, 2013
Wyoming
Me and three other friends want to go sled skiing this year. We will be riding, 1 '12 polaris pro 163, 1 01 mountain cat 800 159, 1 01 mountain cat 600 136, and possibly 1 98 powder special 144. I'm trying to figure out how we are going to get to the goods. We dont have skinning gear, so we could bootpack up the 1000 ft vert to the chutes, but I would rather ride or tow. The side terrain (easiest access) is 20-30 degrees and not too tricky. Would towing up behind the poo or the mountain cat 800 be easier than riding side by side, or should we ride side by side? We could also double up and take the 5 mile excursion around the back side of the mountain ( much mellower but much longer to get to the top.
Thanks
AJ

L

Lushbomb

Moderator: Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
PAC NW
www.oneshotproduction.net
this is all dependent on the sled riding skill level of the riders in your group.. 2 well skilled sled riders can tandem (side by side/canadian style) up just about anything the sled can make it up.. i'm all for the the shortest distance and fastest lap times to get your run, but also with out burning to much energy..

there is no real answer until you are all out there, know the snow conditions and skills of everyone.

i suggest the 20-30 degree route up in almost any situation.. if the snow is deep, ride solo and break a good trail 1st.. then hot lap the sh*t out of it!

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
The 20-30* route would be my first attempted route. There is quite a difference in 20 and 30 degrees though. The 800 Cat and 800 Pro should climb 30* with two guys, tough to say about the other two sleds. I'd send the Pro and the 800Cat up solo, get to summit by any means, then on the way down lay your nice "highway". Depending on snow depth you may need to ride the sleds down this "highway" a couple times before attempting to use it to ride up with two guys. Let the snow sit and set-up a bit before climbing up the "road" with two guys.

If all four sleds can climb your "highway" with two guys, you're golden. Leave two sleds at base, two sleds go up top with all four guys. All four ski down. All four guys go up on two sleds that were at base. All four back down on sleds. Drop two sleds at base, all four guys go back up on two sleds. All four ski down. Repeat as desired. Two hill climbs per ski decent.

I'd skip the towing. Tandem is more versatile and you're not worrying about rope tension during a hill climb.

Let's say small sleds won't climb riding tandem. You can still sled lap so long as the smaller sleds will at least climb the hill solo. Ride 2 capable sleds up tandem, leaving 2 small sleds at base. All four guys ski down. Two guys ride the small sleds up, solo. Then hop on the capable sleds and ride down. All four go up, then all four down on sleds. Then tandem up on capable sleds again, leaving little sleds at base. All 4 guys ski down. Repeat. PITA as you will hill climb 3 times per ski down, but if the small sleds won't climb tandem and you don't have skins it will work. Tough to say at that point though, maybe the 5 mile lap will be more efficient.

Premium Features