• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How many miles are you keeping your sled?

I'm reading for a while here on Snowest and see a lot of guy with Zx or Rev chassis with sled of a few years old and was asking myself if I could keep my 08 Summit X 154 for more than the 3 years I was planning. I have 3800km on it, plan to rebuilt the shocks for next year, had put heavy spring under the skid last winter and I will upgrade to no 20 pilot jet and shim the needles for next winter. I,m now sold to backcountry riding (in the Québec north east, no Rocky mountain here but lot of fun) and planning to ride 1500-2000km per winter max. When we were trail riding 7000km per year, upgrading every 2 years was a obligation but not this time. Also, when rolling a sled down a hill or cutting trough the trees, a top notch brand new sled is not necessary...:eek:

What you western snow paradise guy are you plannig on keeping your sled?

2Thetopp

Lifetime Membership
I think due to the economy and the fact that they really haven't come up with anything much better for 2010 that I'll be staying with my '08 and just continue to add mods. This sled goes up anything that I've attempted, and if it can't I probably shouldn't be going there anyways because you've doo have to come back down. I'm thinking by 2011 turbo's should be pretty well tried and tested then it will be time to make a move, until then I'm happy.

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
I like to wear um out!! However long that takes. I make em work how I want em too and then run them out. Then do it again!! I ride enough that I dont get too far behind on technology.

By going to a turbo setup next season I think the I will try to get my hands on another sled the following year. Build it and have two. I dont believe that if you ride a turbo HARD day in day out that the reliability with be amazing. Just my thoughts.

If I had to put my sleds on a mile rotation I would say like 6000 as long as I maintain them well.

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
3 - 4 years...

Is what I like to doo, it mostly depends on my income, not the newer, greater , better, model. I can have fun on a Tunndy :eek: just as much as my Rev. So for me its a $$$$$$$ thing. Cheaper to maintain than to sell and update. Dino

M
Apr 1, 2009
All depends on the amount of income you've got.

Personally, I'm basically just above welfare. Got an older Polaris 87' with 144", all the bells and whistles, and ALL the parts are dime-a-dozen.

I spend more money on oil for it yearly than I do on parts.

Thanks for info, do you guys wonder about beeing out of warranty and blow a shortblock for lots of coins??? I will do the jetting update (fatter in midrange) for the 800R and so far satisfied of the engine and the sled . Maybe after a third season (6000km) rebuilt the crank and top end. Witch piston should I use OEM or aftermarket? Any other input about how make my 800R a long lasting Summit?

travydog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Tulare south dakota
I keep them till they blow up or I total them out hahahhl. which has been every two years for the last 5 never had a newer one. Right now my newest one is a 2001 polaris 800. I did snowcheck a sumit x and I am guesing that I will keep that for hopefuly ten years or so if I can.

J
Feb 11, 2009
california
i would like to get 2 more years out of my xp then maybee upgrade to an 2011 if they have something better out. but i have 1100 miles and very happy with it. never going back to the old rev

09 xp 154
hps can
gold finger
fox floats

Premium Features