• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How do you out run a Moose in the woods?

Race

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Trump, AK.
You can't, so you find the closet big tree to get in between you and the Moose. Then you grab a hold of the tree to keep your balance as you go around and around after each charge. Yelling at the top of your lungs doesn't do anything to stop the attacks, but it does help in channeling all the adrenalin in your system. One more thing, just because it stops the attacks and moves 30 or 40 ft. away doesn't mean its over, but that round two is just about to begin. So don't leave the safety of your tree. Oh yea, if you have four dogs to provoke the whole thing to begin with, you might understand His state of mind and why he's trying to kill you.

Last edited:
W

Wyoming T/A

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Sep 26, 2006
Powell,Wyoming
moose

always worry about that in the big horns with the dogs out for a walk:eek:
bighorns8-07078.jpg

bighornsmoose057.jpg

L
Nov 26, 2007
Laramie, Wyoming
Climbing the tree works too. I hate moose with a passion. Everytime I bump into one in the Bighorns I seem to end up on the other side of a tree. Why they're so ornery up here is a great mystery to me. I'd say it's just me, but I've talked to other people with the same problem.:confused:

H

H2SNOW

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 19, 2005
North of 60 ...Deep Deep in the bush ......
Climbing the tree works too. I hate moose with a passion. Everytime I bump into one in the Bighorns I seem to end up on the other side of a tree. Why they're so ornery up here is a great mystery to me. I'd say it's just me, but I've talked to other people with the same problem.:confused:

maybe its cuz the moose are my buddies and they are sick and tired of Leedoo beaking off all the time about H2SNOW

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Nah, it is because he is from "Lovell", lol. They just don't like anything with Doo for a name. ;)

L
Nov 26, 2007
Laramie, Wyoming
maybe its cuz the moose are my buddies and they are sick and tired of Leedoo beaking off all the time about H2SNOW

What a putz. I make one post saying you're the biggest dickweed ever to infest the forums and now all you can do is stalk me? Look, I know from previous posts that your into jailhouse love and all, but just because I'm a "niner" and from Lovell doesn't mean I swing that way.

Race

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Trump, AK.
Remember when Marlin Brando played the Colonel in Apocalypse Now and repeated the line "the horror" "the horror"?.......... Now if you could just imagine him replacing the line with...."the drama" "the drama". He would best be able to capture what happens to thread that goes South on Snowest.:rolleyes:

L

live2ride

Moderator: Premium Member
Nov 11, 2001
Gillette, WY
www.kristyharnish.com
The tree works great to basically out run a moose, that is if you make it to the tree with out getting ran over first. Dogs really do p!ss off the cows w/ calves, they don't even have to chase her to get them upset!!! I am speaking from experience of course.......the Big Horns have tons of moose!!!! Now that I live in Colorado I am always looking for moose in the willows, but have yet to see one. Kinda of sad, need to bring some from Wyo I spose....haha

cmon now, nut up n grab the bull by the horns!!! smack that critter around a lil bit n st8n em out!!

Thats one approach! I wouldn't recommend it
with my past experience when there is a moose and he/she is less then happy with you that is the prime oppertunity to jack a shell into the chamber. TIME TO SMILE AND WINK:D Boom!
Only time I have to deal with them is during hunting season, Gotta love the taste of swamp donkey!

S
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Shaw, Montana
Same way you outrun a grizzly bear.

You know that fat kid you hang out with? All you have to do is outrun him. And if that isnt working, see if he will stop when you toss a donut in front of him.

B
Nov 26, 2007
in my experience, if you aren't packing a sidearm of some type or another you shouldn't be out there in the first place... .44mag ruger, let him chase you behind that tree and when he gets close pull the trigger, he'll either drop or leave.... not much need to "run" if you handle it right...

T
Nov 27, 2007
Cle Elum, Wa
Hunting on the divid between Idaho and Montana for elk, Bull quartered and hanging, decided to take a "short cut" thru a thick stand of timber as it was getting late in the afternoon and the canyon I had hiked up went away from camp. Walked up on a cow/calf moose at about 15 yards before she stood up. I back pedaled behind a tree, contimplating if it would even support me if I tried to climb it. Decided no, put the cross hairs somewhere on her chest(too close to see real well) and then waited for what seemed like forever while the cow stomped her hoof, made a feigned attack towards me(just about bought herself some hot lead) before the two finally decided that it was time to move on. Needless to say, I moved very cautiously the rest of the way through the timber and got back to camp right at dark. Funny thing was, 5 other buddies hunting the same area, all had radios, but none of them heard me call for help after I got my bull on the ground.

skippyh2o

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2005
Bonney Lake
www.hidsource.com
You can't, so you find the closet big tree to get in between you and the Moose. Then you grab a hold of the tree to keep your balance as you go around and around after each charge. Yelling at the top of your lungs doesn't do anything to stop the attacks, but it does help in channeling all the adrenalin in your system. One more thing, just because it stops the attacks and moves 30 or 40 ft. away doesn't mean its over, but that round two is just about to begin. So don't leave the safety of your tree. Oh yea, if you have four dogs to provoke the whole thing to begin with, you might understand His state of mind and why he's trying to kill you.

Been there before, it sucks! :eek:

K

knee deep in it

Nov 21, 2007
calgary
I was at a local Starbucks and two guys were talking about this very thing. It kinda surprised me because they looked more like hippy environmentalists than outdoorsmen. Anyways, one of them said the trick is to get down on all fours and pretend you are a statue of a buffalo.

I don't understand what he was talking about but they both seemed pretty excited.

Moose aren't as nice as they look!

Came upon this very situation this year. All moose hunting is limited entry or immature bulls only in my area. I did not get a LEH draw. I hunted them hard for a month and had seen everything but an immature bull. Finally found my self a nice little spike bull, problem was when I thumped the bull his mom step out of a thicket approx 2-250ys to the side. She came out stamping her feet and was one pissed Bitc&. Man are the trees hard to find when you need them. Wow they are a powerful animal.
Jacked a fresh shell got back out of the way really quickly:eek: went and got the truck from nearby.
After she stomped for a couple of mins and let out a few bawls she started to move into the bush. We fired 3 shotguns shots to help and then made very quick work of the bull. What an experience for my first bull!:D

Premium Features