• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how do my engine temps look?

they almost seem a tad low? ive only got a skid plate, no engine blanket, no rad blocking.

13 ktm 450 sxf with 520 big bore.
PR2 tuner
pro circuit ti exhaust.

no whoops today, trail in and out was pretty much 5th gear as much as she had.. or 75% anyways. 60kmh around 8000RPM was as high as I was taking it.

I do have a thermobob though. engine seemed to stay around 60-70C (140-160f) for the most part today. it was -6C/20f today.

you can tell where I warmed it up in the morning then shut it off and it dropped.

then the trail ride in it constantly got warmer and warmer, then when the trail ended and we hit the open snow (not much, early season) and we got to play a little the temps lowered. the big drops are probably our breaks.

at the end of the graph on the trail ride out the bike once again reached 80C (175f was highest I seen today) or so. pretty close to what the summer temps run too isnt it?

Last edited:
You're running too cool. Get engine blanket and radiator blockers on there. You want to run 180 to 200 degrees F. as much as you can. Try to stay above 160 F all day. Your graph shows most of your day at or well below 140 F. Definitely will need an oil change after a day running that cold.

Cool graph from your Voyager by the way. I'll be running one this season. Setting my warning lights more as informational than warning. Have yellow flash from 130 to 160 so I know I'm too cold, solid yellow from 160 to 192 (where my thermostat opens), red from 192 to 210 so I know when I'm "thermostat open" but still in the safe zone, then red blink from 210 up (or maybe 220) to catch my attention to start watching the temp number.

Last edited:
Yeah, too cool. I like that graph. Is that the voyager with GPS? Btw, engine coolant at 175 in summer would be ok cause the engine oil is going to be hotter probably over 200 and getting rid of fuel and moisture. I have oil temp gauge on my ktm and seldom will oil temps get to 200. Only time is on trail with little snow exposure to the case. So, your oil temps are probably a fair amount colder than your coolant temps. As those coolant temps go up it helps the oil.

Last edited:
Dooman, yes the voyager cory showed in his pic has gps. Then the voyager pro is color vs. black and white and has even more features.

I went with the standard (non-pro) voyager, like this one, but haven't had it out yet. Looking forward to the temp graph and gps and compass views. The gps screen is super basic, and my Garmin Rino 650 will continue to be what i use to see topo and record/download tracks, but the voyager will be handy to use at a glance for the track, compass and for the gps speed and odometer.

hmm. interesting. I always figured it was running a tad cold.

the voyager is an amazing unit... not sure id spend the $1000 on the pro version though. (all your friends need it to make it fully useable) otherwise seems like youre just paying for color screen. I think I got that voyager used for like $150.

it does show GPS which saved my ass one time... so lost, didnt know which direction the trail was and how close I was to it.. little scary.

I did notice my oil level seems to be a tad higher than normal too. maybe for the hell of it ill send this oil away for an analysis to see if there much fuel in it. we only burnt 1/4 tank of fuel that day.

looks like ill be adding an engine blanket to my wish list!

Last edited:
Shouldn’t the pr2 stop it from overfueling? Obviously in different conditions you’ll make adjustments like adding your revy up.

Premium Features

Back