• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How big of difference: TS year to year

Like most guys I am on a budget, but after a day on a Husky 450/Snowtech kit last season (rental) I am hooked and want a bike. The question I have is how big of a difference is there really between a 14/15/16 timbersled kit? I’m going to have to choose where to put my money and I’m curious your perspectives as my gut tells me get a nicer bike (looking at a nearly new ’14 ktm 500 / 14’ TS 136) and worry a little less about whether the kit is the latest and greatest as that would be an easier upgrade. Does this logic make sense in your mind or would an alternative option ’12 CR450 and ’17 TS 136 be a better play for a MN guy who is probably looking at 5-10 western riding days a year?

Question 2: In our vast riding experience of 1 day, my buddy and I preferred the 136 kit over I believe it was a 129 for the type of back country riding we typically do (I will be riding with my sled buddies who have been going west for 15+ years and ride the latest rmk’s every year). The 136 seemed to handle the deep snow much better and allowed us to hang with the sleds without issues in the open areas getting up a few of the bigger climbs as we went area to area (we had good snow that day!). We of course also quickly saw the advantages of the bikes side hilling and in the technical areas which was a big part of the fun factor for me. Is this typical of your experiences or once you get better at the bikes do you guys find the shorter setup maneuverability is preferred over a 136? I suppose we could discuss Chevy vs Ford next as a comparison to this question, but considering it is May, most of us probably have a little time to throw an opinion or two around
Thanks!!

Last edited:
my suggestion, buy once, cry once... get what you want, so you don't have to go through the updating, and selling, and upgrading.

as far as TS goes... from my research, you are better off with a 16 or newer kit.

I was in the same boat you are earlier this year. bit the bullet and bought (ordered) a new 2018 aro 120LE.

remember when buying a used TS kit, if you don't buy the kit from someone who had it on the EXACT MODEL, you will need to buy a fit kit, and the spindle will have to be welded and re-drilled to your bike (to me that is cobbling I wouldn't do that personally), or you will need to buy a new spindle, and drill it yourself. that adds cost, labor and effort to the used kit. Ski

You can buy a nice used 2016 kit for around $3500-4000.00. You get the new track which is the biggest improvement from the pre-2015 kit. You can also get a brand new RAW kit for $3400 with the new track. That is what I would do.

I would go nice bike with kit you can afford. Bikes can become very unreliable and are more expensive to repair than the kits. I have friends running 13 lt kits still and they get around fine. You can always upgrade track.

I snowchecked a 2018 and just removed my 2016 long track (was new in november so one season only on it) with tss from my ktm 500.... ready to go for you $3500

Thanks for reaching out, this sounds like a good option to throw into the mix. I'm researching / learning at this point, but if things come together on the ktm bike option, we might be able to work something out. Would you mind PM'ing me your name / phone number just in case along with any details you have on the kit (approximate hours, color, a picture or two).

Thanks!

3500 for a 16lt with tss is a good deal. Jump on it! I sold 13 lt for more than that this year.

old snow bikes

get a good bike and a good track..........2.5 ts track. other than that its all about maintanance and shock upgrades. a screaming deal on an older kit with a good newer bike.............all good if you like to tinker. upgrade shocks to 16 internal specs and 16 track.

Performance of the kit will be more your setup and adjustments than what the factory's sell.

If you don't like to work on things just get a bike and a raw kit and pay the price. Oh, then you still have to figure out good setup.

Premium Features

Back