• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Houghton Area

M

mthoodskiguy

Feb 19, 2008
DIAMOND LAKE/BEND
What are you looking for as far as riding? We ride from south range area to twin lakes area and all the logging roads/hills in between. We ride on Sundays as a group so you can prob get involved in that if you still need peeps to ride with. You will be surprised at how deep the pow is up There. I ride all over the country and some of my deepest days have still been up there with out a doubt..

S
Jan 28, 2011
Upper Peninsula
What are you looking for as far as riding? We ride from south range area to twin lakes area and all the logging roads/hills in between. We ride on Sundays as a group so you can prob get involved in that if you still need peeps to ride with. You will be surprised at how deep the pow is up There. I ride all over the country and some of my deepest days have still been up there with out a doubt..

I done have a truck/trailer so I'd have to ride there. How far is south range/twin lakes from Houghton?

M

mthoodskiguy

Feb 19, 2008
DIAMOND LAKE/BEND
15-25 min by sled to south range.. I don't get home till nov but last I checked still no gas in south range. So fill up! But ya we have friends that ride from houghton its not bad at all. It's the town south of wal mart prob 5 miles... Not much really to ride other than trails in houghton/Hancock proper.

S
Jan 28, 2011
Upper Peninsula
15-25 min by sled to south range.. I don't get home till nov but last I checked still no gas in south range. So fill up! But ya we have friends that ride from houghton its not bad at all. It's the town south of wal mart prob 5 miles... Not much really to ride other than trails in houghton/Hancock proper.

I would love to join you guys! If you have friends that ride from Houghton then if it is ok with you and them I will just tag along with them to south range. My sled is in being stored in Dollar Bay. My roommate would probably join (best friend from high school, 2010 Yamaha Nytro XTX w/ push turbo and studs). Thanks for offering!!

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
I agree, from south range to twin lakes is the place to be if you wanna be off-trail. I don't really know my way around up north because none of us ever wanted to ride that much trail to get there. When I went to school up there we would store our sleds at Kevin's Storage up by Dan's Polaris. Pretty easy access to the trail from there, Dan's has an access trail that goes straight to Trail 3 (I think thats the number). From there you can either go North toward the bridge and cross to Hancock or go south toward South Range. They do get some good snow in that stretch for sure. This is a pic from that area one day. It was awesome :face-icon-small-coo. I don't get back up there to ride nearly as much as I'd like...

010801_124700.jpg

Last edited:
M

mthoodskiguy

Feb 19, 2008
DIAMOND LAKE/BEND
I would love to join you guys! If you have friends that ride from Houghton then if it is ok with you and them I will just tag along with them to south range. My sled is in being stored in Dollar Bay. My roommate would probably join (best friend from high school, 2010 Yamaha Nytro XTX w/ push turbo and studs). Thanks for offering!!

Sundays can be a big group but come out for one Sunday and you have plenty of riding buddies. Remember to bring your trusty shovel and a hand saw as we tend to do a bit of logging:face-icon-small-hap. We are all on rmk's and m's but we will let the nytro slide:face-icon-small-ton

S
Jan 28, 2011
Upper Peninsula
Sundays can be a big group but come out for one Sunday and you have plenty of riding buddies. Remember to bring your trusty shovel and a hand saw as we tend to do a bit of logging:face-icon-small-hap. We are all on rmk's and m's but we will let the nytro slide:face-icon-small-ton

Lol I'm still waiting for my shovel, saw is at the hardware store lol. I'm "technically" not on a m but it's DAMN close. How many miles do you usually put on?

www.photobucket.com/mynewsled

T
Sep 10, 2009
Check out The Snowmobile Club of MTU: Sledheads. They have weekly meetings Tuesday at 6:30 on the third floor of Fisher Hall (Usually, unless it gets moved) Good place to meet people in the area.

S
Jan 28, 2011
Upper Peninsula
I agree, from south range to twin lakes is the place to be if you wanna be off-trail. I don't really know my way around up north because none of us ever wanted to ride that much trail to get there. When I went to school up there we would store our sleds at Kevin's Storage up by Dan's Polaris. Pretty easy access to the trail from there, Dan's has an access trail that goes straight to Trail 3 (I think thats the number). From there you can either go North toward the bridge and cross to Hancock or go south toward South Range. They do get some good snow in that stretch for sure. This is a pic from that area one day. It was awesome :face-icon-small-coo. I don't get back up there to ride nearly as much as I'd like...

010801_124700.jpg

Are most of these areas visible from the trail? I know back in Iron River we had to really really look for them and sometimes take a venture into the thick woods just because it we saw what might be a small area haha.

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Are most of these areas visible from the trail? I know back in Iron River we had to really really look for them and sometimes take a venture into the thick woods just because it we saw what might be a small area haha.

No this specific place is not visible from the trail. But when you're buzzin down the trail keep your eyes peeled for logging roads that go off into the woods. Hop on one of those and start heading into the woods, they fork quite a few times so you can get lost pretty easy. Bring a GPS and mark your starting point so you at least know which direction to head back. You'll find ravines and some small open areas but the majority of it is woods like in that pic. Usually if you see a large open area, its a lake or pond, which I usually avoid. Go on Bing Maps and look at the Birds Eye View. You'll see all the lines in the trees, those are all logging roads. The trail runs pretty close to M26 from South Range to Twin Lakes. Look at the trail map and bing maps to get an idea of where to head. http://www.sledgps.com/Snowmobile-Trails-Wisconsin.html (Scroll up to Houghton area)

You'd still be best off to meet up with a crew and just go... learn the area and get a feel for where they best spots are for what you're lookin to do.

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
This is from that same day I think...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHzkoFkYljA&feature=g-upl
Go to bing maps and type in this: 47.020437, -88.684387
Thats where our day started. Its right off the trail and logging roads split several times on either side of the trail the closer you get toward twin lakes. Its pretty tracked up right off the trail, but the farther back you get the better it is :face-icon-small-coo

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SNOW!

M

mthoodskiguy

Feb 19, 2008
DIAMOND LAKE/BEND
Lol I'm still waiting for my shovel, saw is at the hardware store lol. I'm "technically" not on a m but it's DAMN close. How many miles do you usually put on?

www.photobucket.com/mynewsled

I envy you.. Nice sled. :sorry we don't put a ton of miles on trails but we are usually using about a half tank on a ride maybe more if its super deep. But we get after it for sure. We will see you this winter. Going to pick up a sled tomorrow.

S
Jan 28, 2011
Upper Peninsula
I envy you.. Nice sled. :sorry we don't put a ton of miles on trails but we are usually using about a half tank on a ride maybe more if its super deep. But we get after it for sure. We will see you this winter. Going to pick up a sled tomorrow.

Half tank is fine with me. Im in it for the fun! What kind of sled? I just came off of a 2006 Crossfire 600 SnoPro I bought with 1317 miles, when I sold it (purchased in December 2011) it had 2600 miles. Hardly any of my miles were trails. I would go out and ride after school and what not, also lots of weekend rides with friends.

S
Jan 28, 2011
Upper Peninsula
This is from that same day I think...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHzkoFkYljA&feature=g-upl
Go to bing maps and type in this: 47.020437, -88.684387
Thats where our day started. Its right off the trail and logging roads split several times on either side of the trail the closer you get toward twin lakes. Its pretty tracked up right off the trail, but the farther back you get the better it is :face-icon-small-coo

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SNOW!

Thats is definitely some great riding. Are you from the area? Ride around Houghton/Twin Lakes/South Range often?

capnkirk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2010
Appleton, WI
south range is a really nice spot to ride. how about running the power lines... thats always decent if u get some fresh, and pound it early before the others. also,whats the deal with dreamland?? is there any good riding up that way?
being im from Appleton, WI I tend to drive up near Marquette and ride some ditches near the old air force base. some gr8 fun 2 be had there as well.
I too would love to meet the gang one day, i get up in Houghton quite often. and usually ride sat and sun when there.

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Thats is definitely some great riding. Are you from the area? Ride around Houghton/Twin Lakes/South Range often?

No I'm not from the area, I live down by Appleton WI too... but I went to school at Mich Tech so I got to ride plenty up there. We try to make a few trips up there each winter, but this year might I might only be able to make it up one or two times... got some other trips in the works for this year. But when we are up there we almost always only ride southrange/twin lakes area.

capnkirk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2010
Appleton, WI
No I'm not from the area, I live down by Appleton WI too... but I went to school at Mich Tech so I got to ride plenty up there. We try to make a few trips up there each winter, but this year might I might only be able to make it up one or two times... got some other trips in the works for this year. But when we are up there we almost always only ride southrange/twin lakes area.

same area we ride most of the time. no snow to really speak of anywhere in this area right now. really sad start to the season!

I'm planning at least 2 trips out west this season, so the U.P. will have to play second fiddle to those for me. Maybe i will see you around sometime, it would be nice to go ride with some people from the area who enjoy something other than "bar to bar" trail riding.

C

Covelli44

Jan 2, 2011
North Aurora, IL
Agreed with heading west. I usually store my sled west but had it shipped home with hopes of heading back to the UP to play like the old days. Now I'm starting to rethink having it home! Keepin my fingers crossed

Premium Features