Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Homemade sled deck (single)

Thought I'd throw up a pix of my new deck. Cost about $200 in materials. Now if we could just get some snow!

014.jpg

015.jpg

how are you attaching the ramp to the tailgate when loading and unloading?
How are you holding the ramp in with a sled on the deck and the tailgate open?

tailgate

I would not put any load on the tailgate, the supports are not strong like they used to be. I had a friend load a Harley softtail on the back of his truck with a ramp and it pulled the swages out..he was lucky.
I think even Chevy had a recall on the supports a while back.

If you are having a weight load on there we can think of a solution....

P.S. it does look nice and well built.

how are you attaching the ramp to the tailgate when loading and unloading?
How are you holding the ramp in with a sled on the deck and the tailgate open?

You will notice the L-aluminum bracket that is mounted just inside the tailgate. It holds the ramp from moving outward while unloading and also keeps it stored underneath while traveling. I welded a lip on the top ramp bar so it can't slide forward into the bed when loading..

I have built it so that the tail gate is removed when using it for my sled. I agree with not trying to load on a tailgate....could be ugly.

Rt

I like it!!! Good job!

What steel did you use to make it? Looks like 2x2 square tubing... what thickness? 1/8"? Also how did you attach it to the bed? Bolts? Straps?

I think if I make one, I'll make it long enough so that the tailgate stays down fulltime... mainly so that the ramp can be 10' long instead of just 8'. I have no reverse so it needs to make it really easy to get the sled out of the back.

BTW, Dodge tailgates can take 500 lbs. I've had the rear of my Sportsman 800 parked on it before with no problems, and that darn thing weighs 980 lbs wet (I've weighed it).

Rob

I like it!!! Good job!

What steel did you use to make it? Looks like 2x2 square tubing... what thickness? 1/8"? Also how did you attach it to the bed? Bolts? Straps?

Rob

Ramp is made of 1 1/2" Aluminum Tube (1/8"). Deck is 1 1/8" ply top sheet on top of 2x4's on top of 1/2 ply. Bottom sheet of 1/2" is bolted into bed.

Rt

Looks good. :beer;You might want to put a piece of 2x8 on the front. It will keep the skis from bending the front of the box when you load. Don't ask how I know this! :eek::(

Hey guys,
Couldn't you just put you sled in the back of your truck with out that. or did you just build that so you had a place to put your ramp. I am not criticizing your work, Just wondering.

Shmuckaluck - I did a similar thing strictly so my ramp can fit underneath, no trifold.

Be wary of load rating of tailgate,,, what ends up happening is when the tailgate is closed, the support straps form a "u" when the gate is up; (one end attached to end of tailgate and other end attached to top of box), the support strap is coated with plastic/rubber, moisture/rain/water from washing vehicle etc gets in the top ends of the support strap and sit in the bottom of the "u", days, months, years,,,,,, water + metal wire + time + air = rust = one day loading your quad = going over the bars, slamming into bed of truck = wrecked tailgate and various other truck parts + wrecked front end of quad.

Truck was only a few years old, this happened to a buddy. Chev did warranty the truck parts though. He (and I) never load like this any more.

I now use a backup of ratchet straps to take a bit of the load off.

chevy recalled those supports

chevy did a recall on that corrosion issue ....must have been 5- years ago

Yeah, I could've just used a tri fold but I figured for $200 vs $85 it would be better to have a real ramp and I needed something under my sled so I don't rip up the rhino liner.

Also, I needed a project until the snow flies;)

Rt

Yeah, I could've just used a tri fold but I figured for $200 vs $85 it would be better to have a real ramp and I needed something under my sled so I don't rip up the rhino liner.

Also, I needed a project until the snow flies;)

Rt

Nice setup, I think your waaay ahead of the game, you aint buying no trifold sled ramp around here for 85$;) Think I paid closer to 400 for my oxlite.

Premium Features

Back