• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Home school??

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)
O

opus

Banned
Nov 26, 2007
Trout Creek, MT
Regarding the 'social interaction'. If you homeschool and your kids DONT get the ability to learn and work on the social interaction skills needed for life, I think you are failing them.

S

Snow Fox

I send my kiddies to the public school, but I also supplement it with my own stuff.

During the summer months we do a hire a tutor 1 hour per week or so to keep things fresh.

Our local publix school dropped music, so we hire music teachers to teach em..My 9yr son is hammerin on the guitar pretty good now :cool:

the best thing any parent can do is just be involved, I see way too many parents just letting the 'system' raise the kids and their involvement is minimal.

That is exactly right, parents need to be more involved!! I personally do not believe in home schooling. Children need so much more than just learning from a book. I have read social skills several times on this thread. There is that and more. I will be the first to say that the public school system is not perfect, but I believe the pros far outweigh the cons for my kids to go to public schools. What is lacking from the shcools, it is the parents repsonsibility to make sure their kids get the extra needed.

I have so many memories of growing up and a lot of those involve my time in grade school. If I would have been home schooled, my memories would not be near as vivid, nor would I have had the expriences as I did going to a small town public school.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
The ala carte thing is interesting. Many states, or individ school districts won't allow the homeschoolers to participate in part time classes or sports if they are not enrolled. Which I think is fair.

Either enroll full time and do all of it, or stay away.

O

opus

Banned
Nov 26, 2007
Trout Creek, MT
The ala carte thing is interesting. Many states, or individ school districts won't allow the homeschoolers to participate in part time classes or sports if they are not enrolled. Which I think is fair.

Good, then if we dont enroll or take part, dont tell me I have to pay for it. We pay, therefore we can play.

H
Jan 28, 2004
Good, then if we dont enroll or take part, dont tell me I have to pay for it. We pay, therefore we can play.

So by your thought, if you send your kids away to the private school in town they should still be able to go back and take that shop class or play football?

L
Nov 26, 2007
Laramie, Wyoming
Lots of great this to be said for homeschooling on the education side of things. But one thing the kids do lose is interaction with other kids their age. Have seen/met quite a few homeschooled kids and it always seems like after meeting them I think to myself, "that kid must be homeschooled", later to find out, yep they were.

Whether its a bad or good thing I find homeschooled kids behind the social curve once they are "exposed" to the elements.

I would also agree with dooadew in that yes they are probably more mature when done with school but is it worth it if they don't have strong social skills? What's going to get them the job they want? Interview skills!!!

Nobody pegs me as being a homeschooled kid unless it's in a good light. ("You can actually talk like an adult!")

I went to college, not knowing anybody there and I'd say the only way I was behind the social curve was I didn't have the hook-ups for the party scene right away. Boo-Hoo. I hung out with kids my age all during my childhood. So do all my siblings. The biggest thing that will help your kids out is to let them out of the "cave". I've seen the parents that homeschool their kids and never let them leave the house/ranch. They don't always turn out so well.

Heck, 90%+ of the public school kids I know couldn't get a real job straight out of school either. They have to flip burgers and learn how to interact with people all over again because the skills they learned simply won't cut it in the real world.

Oh, and in our area kids can enroll in sports, music, etc... even if they are homeschooled. I figure if I pay taxes then my kids should be able to take advantage of the same services. Aug played football last year, but got tired of the political bullshlt. He said he'd rather go bowhunt elk and I'm proud he could make that decision.

In the end, the kids are still partially a product of their environment (personallity always trumps that though.) What the kids turn out like is a matter of what the parents want them to be. Homeschooling just gives you that much more control.

T

T-Bone

Nov 11, 2005
Shelby, MT
I'm not sold on home schooling. One of my old friends was home schooled (read: slept until noon, and his parents didn't make him do jack squat) starting in the 8th grade. He now can't hold down a job to save his life, and the jobs he has had aren't exactly "careers". His idea of hard work is drinking the coors light before the mountains on the bottle turn white.

O

opus

Banned
Nov 26, 2007
Trout Creek, MT
No you didnt mention private schools, but they pay the school taxes just like the person who home schools, and the people who send their kids to public school.

Well, I guess if you send your kid to private school, if you pay school taxes, you should be able to partake in some extracurricular public school events. Seems fair to me.

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
Well, I guess if you send your kid to private school, if you pay school taxes, you should be able to partake in some extracurricular public school events. Seems fair to me.

Opus, Don't know if you know this but in Montana public schools are funded by student count 2 or 3 times per year. Therfore if your little Johnny homeschool kid is not registered in school and is not attending the day of the count the school is getting no tax dollars for that kid. So now tell me why you and your homeschooled child should be allowed to participate in extra curricular activities when the school district does not receive any funding for Johnny Homeschool? And Pleeeeeez do not use that old I pay taxes song and dance. I have not had a kid in school for 12 years and I still pay taxes to support a free education for anyone who wants to attend public school. If you choose to home school your children then you should carry the entire burden yourself. The same as if you choose to go to college, you pay for it yourself or get grants or scholarships or what have you. You all say public schools are so bad. Why do you think that is? It is because of the lack of parent involvement. We are all so busy chasing the American dream this country is becoming a nightmare. Get to know your kids teacher. Help her out by being a parent. Make your kids do homework, help them with it instead of forcing the schools to adopt a no homework policy cause your kids, oris it you? Think they have to be in every after school activity known to mankind. Be a parent!!!!!!!! Not your kids best friend.
Oh and by the way LeeDoo. Me and my 5 siblings, or Me and my brothers. Homeschooling really worked for you.:beer;

O

opus

Banned
Nov 26, 2007
Trout Creek, MT
Opus, Don't know if you know this but in Montana public schools are funded by student count 2 or 3 times per year. Therfore if your little Johnny homeschool kid is not registered in school and is not attending the day of the count the school is getting no tax dollars for that kid.

I did NOT know that. If that is the case, then my kids should not be allowed to partake in public school extra things. I am not looking for a freebie, nor do I want one.

It wasnt I that said public schools are bad. They just arent for us. Never had any issues, dont have any socially inept kids either. 2 graduated a few years ago and are doing fine.

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN

Exactly!!!!. If they don't attend the school they sure as heck shouldn't participate in all the reindeer games of that school. Sorry but it's just the way it should be. You can't have your cake and eat it too sometimes.

L
Nov 26, 2007
Laramie, Wyoming
Oh and by the way LeeDoo. Me and my 5 siblings, or Me and my brothers. Homeschooling really worked for you.:beer;

Oh shlt... I committed the sin of not using proper grammar on the interweb.

Did you not read what my post actually said? I mentioned that homeschooling isn't always the best route for some kids... and I think I'm one of them. If I wasn't so awesome, things might have turned out badly.:D

V
Mar 30, 2002
Beautiful BC
I homeschooled our 2 oldest kids until the 10th grade and our youngest until the 3rd. It was very rewarding to teach them how to read and write and I learned alot right along side of them. (I went to public school and learned more as a homeschooling mom.) We gave them the choice of attending school when they wanted to. Our oldest wanted to go for Gr. 10, our youngest for Gr. 4, and our son never really wanted to, but did anyways. The fears people have about their socializing are unfounded - at least they were with our kids. Our oldest daughter graduated with honors, was a straight A student, ended up with scholarships and is now in her 2nd yr of Psychology at college. Our son graduated this spring as a straight A student, scholarships and will be taking Electrical Engineering in university come next fall. Our youngest, now in the 9th grade is a straight A student and will come out of the high school with scholarships I'm sure. We stayed involved with the kids when they went to the public school. We went to parent-teacher meetings, talked to them daily about school and friends and classes. I have to believe that the 10 years I put into the 2 oldest is why they have become who they are today. They received a much better education for those first years than I know they would have in the public school here where we live anyways. Homeschooling teaches discipline, motivation and comes with great rewards. I would do it all over again and really miss teaching little ones. We had a local homeschooling group that would get together for field trips and sporting activities and social interaction. I would highly recommend doing that, and I'm sure that most towns would have such a group. But above all, if your kids WANT to homeschool, allow them to do that. Let them express their feelings as to why they want to and listen to them.

S
Dec 3, 2007
Cle Elum, Wa
When I was in school it seemed the homeschooled kids that joined the public schools were all very smart, and had better discipline when it came to the books. I do think they were behind socially though. I can think of 2 brothers that played sports with us before they came to the public schools and they did very well socially.

I think the one thing that every parent needs to consider (even if your kids go to public school). is that once your kids go to college they are going to see a whole new world. The booze is going to be cheap, horomones are raging like crazy and classes are optional. I am not trying to say you should let your kids skip class and go party, but your kids need to be aware that is what they are going to walk into.

Premium Features