• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Home school??

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)
D
Nov 26, 2007
Innisfail, Alberta
Any one on here home school?
We've been kicking around the idea more and more, there's a lot of things I dislike about the public system. Any pros and cons from people who have actually done it?

Snoboner

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle Point, OR
Do it! Both my girls were home schooled and are ahead of the curve and very sociable. Get them into the school sports and activities. There is some good curriculum out there to choose from. We used Abeka

L
Nov 26, 2007
Laramie, Wyoming
Me and my 5 siblings we/are homeschooled. Only problem I had with it was late in high school I needed a lot of discipline to stay with my studies. My sisters never had that problem, but me and my brother did. If you can keep the kids doing their work and don't let them goof off all the time, it turns out great

G
Sep 4, 2008
Me and my 5 siblings we/are homeschooled. Only problem I had with it was late in high school I needed a lot of discipline to stay with my studies. My sisters never had that problem, but me and my brother did. If you can keep the kids doing their work and don't let them goof off all the time, it turns out great

Leedoo and his brother gave whole new neaning to the phrase problem children! :face-icon-small-hap:beer;;)

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I think that rather than giving up on public schools, people should get involved to try and help make their school better.

Furthermore, I see some parents homeschooing their children who are not qualified.

Lastly, what would become of our public education if too many people pulled their kids out.
Small communities (like ours) are suffering as it is from declining enrollment.
Homeschooling just makes matters worse.
These people want the best of both worlds. They want their kids to be able to enjoy certain programs, but not others. (ala carte education) Is this fair to the "full time" students?

But ultimately it is not my business, it is the parents.
It's certainly a very serious decision.

H

H2SNOW

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 19, 2005
North of 60 ...Deep Deep in the bush ......
I was home schooled till grade 9 then went to public ...

now that we have 4 of our own we have home schooled 2 out of 4 thus far grades 3 and 6 plus kindergarten this year ...best thing we ever did.

I personaly don't believe in some of the rubbish taught at public schools and feel that we have a better handle on what they learn ...

I don't need some teach tellin my kids stuff that are contrary to what we believe and the family time is second to none

we take days off for hunting or whatever....no notes needed here, the boys travel with me on the road when ever we feel fit ....and Anita loves the home time ....we start when we want and finish usualy a month early

D
Dec 31, 2007
n. idaho
i was home schooled for high school , i would not reccomend it at all, yes you can have more control over what your kids see and hear and learn but at what cost? will your kids be a part of the community, will they have a chance to learn social skills , will they have friends their age? for me it was a total culture shock when i got out of school and in the real world. i found i was way more mature, grown up or whatever you want to call it , but was way behind in social skills. if you do home school i hope you give yor kids a chance to be part of the system ie. sports ,dances etc. just my thoughts

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
I don't agree with homeschooling. I have only come in contact with a few kids or parents that have done this and it may just be nothing but those kids don't generally fit "in" with the rest of the kids when out and about. Good, or bad I don't know, I wouldn't put my kids through homeschool, I think having those types of programs are what causes some of the problems in the first place. Simply from what I have seen, nothing else.

BigT

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sequim, WA
I realy think it depends on the kids, school, parents and .... We have home schooled our boy a few years and our daughter has been in public shcool the entire time. Both kids do well in school (b+ or better average) and fit in socially just fine. We home schooled our boy because when he was younger he just couldn't sit still. He new the answers and was listening while jumping around and disrupting the rest of the class. We pulled him becuase he was being labelled a "bad kid" when in fact he was very smart. After a few years he mellowed out and has been in public school for 3 years now. He is currently a freshman and is doing great in school.
MAFESTO--one thing to remember, the land owners are the ones paying the property taxes that fund public schools. I still paid my taxes weather my boy was in public school or homeschooled. He then should have the right to still do sports, shop classes and ....--I was/am/and will be paying the same as any other land owner. I do however agree with your statement about some parents are not qualified.
Just my thoughts--not trying to sway opinions--great thing about america--we can still have our opinions!!

BigT

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
i know two people that have home schooled, for one most parents arn't smart enough to be teaching there children. no interaction with other kids. what kid wants to be with there mom or dad all the time, it's just not normal thing to do. the people (ones a relative) that i know that home school live like hermats out in the boonies.

O

opus

Banned
Nov 26, 2007
Trout Creek, MT
i know two people that have home schooled, for one most parents arn't smart enough to be teaching there children. no interaction with other kids. what kid wants to be with there mom or dad all the time, it's just not normal thing to do. the people (ones a relative) that i know that home school live like hermats out in the boonies.

OK, just because there are 2 duds, dont wrap us all up with them. ;)

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I kinda wish I would have been home-schooled.

I think that during the time a kid is growing up, homeschooling would present the social challenges, yes ....

But do you think going to a public school doesn't?

I think if anything homeschooling would present far less social challenges in number and intensity. By the time the kids would reach college, they'd be more mature and a lot better prepared for the real world, IMO.

What does a kid learn in highschool? They learn how to smart off to teachers, who to buy pot from, where the parties are, and how to ridicule other kids.

What happens to those kids in college? They drink themselves retarded.

The people I've known who are in the same age group I am in that were homeschooled pretty well all say what they've accomplished as young adults far outweighs the trials and tribulations of not being in a "traditional" public school setting ...

I hope one day that I will be in the position to homeschool my kids when I have them.

H

H2SNOW

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 19, 2005
North of 60 ...Deep Deep in the bush ......
It costs us alot of cash to have our children home schooled but thats our choice ....the school bus drives right by our road ...but we are no interested ...something to be said about parents that don't just raise kids but actually school them too.

G

girlpowder

Thumbs up to those of you that are that dedicated. I for one am not educated enough or patient enough to home school. There are so many different circumstances for each individual child being taught all the important fundamentals at home. The social skill for one. I'm not sure where to start with this whole topic, there is so much that I could say. One thing is for sure is that it is NOT for every kid. I have 3 kids. All very, very different. One thing I have always wished was that each of them would have came with an owners manual. The first is now 14. Born with Cerebral Palsy. So much to learn with him and how to teach the child with 25 to 30% of his brain missing. Then a 7 year old. Good little boy, not very ambitious, but has a sweet kind little soul and loves to learn. He wants to be a scientist. Oh and he is so glad that he started school cuz it was gettin boring at home this summer and he missed his friends. Then there is the last of the bunch. Miss Elly. Yikers. I said that from the start. What a firecracker. Holy stubborn. Everyday I wonder how the heck to deal with the personality she was blessed with. She just started kindergarten. She crys everyday because she misses me. Should I home school her??? NO WAY. She doesn't want me to tell her what to do, she already knows everything. Miss Elly has been independent from the start. I new it the day I brought her home. Her personality was there and we have had our hands full ever since. Sorry to get off the subject here and there but there is no way I would or could teach her, maybe someone else could. If we had enough money I would hire a very educated person to teach her one on one.BlaaaBlaaaBlaaa... Part of my .02.

W
Jan 2, 2008
I send my kiddies to the public school, but I also supplement it with my own stuff.

During the summer months we do a hire a tutor 1 hour per week or so to keep things fresh.

Our local publix school dropped music, so we hire music teachers to teach em..My 9yr son is hammerin on the guitar pretty good now :cool:

the best thing any parent can do is just be involved, I see way too many parents just letting the 'system' raise the kids and their involvement is minimal.

C
Nov 26, 2007
kalispell, MT
we are back homeshooling this year again- I like it alot! Last year my kidletts whent to public school, and when they got home, I would quiz them about their day- they acted like they were done learning when the bell rang!!:mad: Now they are back in the swing of homeschooling, and they are back to learning ALL the time!!

it's not for everybody, but works well for us.

R

RMK SeVeN

Nov 27, 2007
Fairbanks, AK
Lots of great this to be said for homeschooling on the education side of things. But one thing the kids do lose is interaction with other kids their age. Have seen/met quite a few homeschooled kids and it always seems like after meeting them I think to myself, "that kid must be homeschooled", later to find out, yep they were.

Whether its a bad or good thing I find homeschooled kids behind the social curve once they are "exposed" to the elements.

I would also agree with dooadew in that yes they are probably more mature when done with school but is it worth it if they don't have strong social skills? What's going to get them the job they want? Interview skills!!!

Premium Features