• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hmk Riding Gear Test Report

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
We finally have some snow and I have gotten a chance to test out some new 08 riding gear from HMK. http://www.hmksnowmobiling.com I get a lot of pm's on snowmobile related brands, performance, aftermarket parts, and apparel. Here are my experiences with some HMK products that I recently personally tested.

Conditions: McCall Idaho 12* to 20* wind gusting 20mph with intermittant snow and sunshine.

HMK Stealth Jacket: It's a lightweight shell style waterproof zip up with a removable insulated independant liner jacket. I removed the liner and wore it as a shell over my BWEAR body armor. One thin tek shirt as a base only. Sitting comfortable and warm, very aggressive trail riding comfortable and warm (accept a 2" section below my vest...adding one layer on the base will solve this), boondocking (while limited) comfortable and not at all over heated. Nice athletic semi blousy cut that fit great over my BWEAR and allowed excellent arm movement but wasn't too loose to hang up on the handlebars. A good assortment of sealed zippers in appropriate spots and overall an excellent built performance riding jacket. Much better fit and feel then my Factory Polaris Race Shell. I prefer it to the KLIM in that it fits slightly looser (as seen in the photo) for better mobility in performance riding. Did not test in rain or soggy snow but did flail around in the powder quite a bit but not a legit test for water resistancy.

HMK Stealth Pant Obviously matches the jacket nicely. Once again just like the jacket these fit nicely with a bit of looseness for mobility. Pockets and zippers all seemed appropriate and in place. Boot gaitors worked as designed and the lower leg of the pants stayed down in place from sitting to standing riding position. I removed the liner (too bulky for me) as well as the replaceable pads in the knees. These would be great for people in very cold environments or that don't wear additional protection. I didn't wear any long johns and was completely warm and comfortable. Both the pants and jacket are slightly more flexible and a softer over all feeling of fabric then my Klim XCR gear. I loved my free rides and was worried that these would be a step down. They aren't at all! No problem with full mobility when really getting after it!

HMK Pro BOA Focus II OK this one scared me a bit. I have every pair of production Klim boots ever made. I love my last set of GTX'rs. The HMK boots appear similar in design to the Radiums and are much stiffer and wider then the hiking boot like Klims. I wore them on this all day ride without ever breaking them in so that I could give a comfort report as well as performance. We did alot of walking around as we were testing three different sleds and I was helping a newbie get acclimated. Not long and my left ankle bone was aching. They hurt me in the exact same spot my GT Klim's do when walking around too much. Remember litterly new out of the box. I loosened the BOA system adjustment and magically they were fine. I really like the feel on the running boards and excellent support. I had no problem with sled mobility and performance even though they are slightly wider then what I am accustomed too. They turned out to be comfortable by the end of the day and I cannot say enough about the BOA lace system. It's just flat cool. Twist either of two knobs to tighten release to loosen. I ended up with an excellent custom comfortable fit. I was warm, dry, and comfortable once I got the lace system pressure set right. My only down grade was you can drive to the parking lot in them like you can with thin hiking style riding boots.

Factory Team Riding Gloves light performance riding glove not unsimilar in design to heavy mechanix wear or fox gloves. Good flex and grip with the different sleds we were trying. They fit a bit snug so if you want to try these gloves get a minimum of a size larger then you think you wear. Comfortable and warm behind roost protectors on two sleds until my finger tips got cold on the Yamaha without them at 60 plus for over ten minutes of ride time trail only. I ride one finger on the brake at all times and grip the bars only in the web of my palm so the danglers were getting windchilled. Free riding no problem and they were perfect. I felt like I had excellent riding control with these gloves.

HMK Tech Jacket This is a waterproof softshell lightweight zip up jacket. Once again we tried this over a BWEAR vest. Just loose enough for good mobility and no wind came through. It rode as warm as the Stealth without liner. I also wear this jacket around town and it's a great all around coat. It looks so good I spend all of my spare time fighting off the girls and posing for photo opps. (just kidding but I really do get comments about how nice it looks) Bought one for my girlfriend for XMAS!

Last edited:

SAWYER

Lifetime Membership
Jan 12, 2006
Kingston Idaho
I love Hmk boots. I'm on my 2nd pair and it's all i'll ever buy. But you might as well ride without gloves instead of wasting your money on them. I use my Hmk gloves for picking up dog crap now, And my hands still get cold

A

AkSummit

Nov 28, 2007
ALASKA
I have the stealth pants and jacket, I have to wear both without the liners so i dont sweat to death. I also have an old gen of HMK boots. I do ride with ski doo gloves though. EITHER WAY I love the gear and think its great! I have given it some good durability test so far and no rips or tears so Im happy.

I would recommend it in a heartbeat.

Glad to hear the stuff is working out for you guys!!

Later,

Joe

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Gary haven't you heard? White is the new black in snowmobiling! Hey you're right they are white...I hadn't really thought about the color as a display of any sexual orientation. Lucky for me "gay" people boots work great for hetrosexuals too.:D Now if you see me at Hay Days wearing these babies in an airport bathroom stall you can be concerned!

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
Might have to try the HMK boot.
I have klim boots now and I had to quit wearing them. My nytro heats up my left leg so much that snow is constantly melting and eventually water is getting in. The last time I wore them I must have poured out a cup of water from liner and the boot also. You can see the water beading off my klim pants and absorbing into the boot. Meanwhile my right foot is bone dry.
I thought klim boots were waterproof ? I also have tried some altimates and baffins with the same results.

Paul

Last edited:
The HMK Pro boot comes in three main modles:

The Pro: Black with laces
The Pro LE: White with laces

The Pro Boa: Black with single Boa cable
The Pro Boa LE: White with single Boa cable

The Pro Boa Focus: White with dual zone Boa cable

After three seasons in a white boot, I feel fine about my orientation. Although I should ask my wife how she feels about hers after riding in a white boot last year, this could get interesting? :rolleyes:

I only have one ride on the new Pro Boa Focus and I love the adjustability in the two zones. I will post more as I get more time in them.

They do run a size small. Order one size larger then your street shoe and if you are a 1/2 size, go 1 1/2 over your street shoe. (ie, 10 1/2 street is a 12 in the pro boot, IMO)

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Alaska:

You are right on the boot sizes running small. I found the pro boa was two sizes smaller than actual.

The only thing I had to get used to was the HMK boot is so stiff that it is very difficult to drive a vehicle with them on. Infact it is impossible to drive with these things on, so have another pair of "something comfortable" with you.

I have never been wet in these boots! They are fantastic!!

L
Nov 27, 2007
North Idaho
I have rode the pro lace ups the last two years and love them i had to upgrade this year to one size bigger boot i think my feet grew :confused: but i went for the pro boas this time i think they just need broke in and they are gona rock! i also have the hmk glove not the race glove but the heavier one and love it so far havent got to try it in wet conditions yet though.
my .02
LRB

P
Mar 25, 2003
Ellensburg, WA
First ride of the year today. Last year I had issues with the Pro Boa getting my feet extremely wet. Bought a pair of KLIM over the calf socks, problem solved. The only wet place on the sock was were the liner tounge met the sock. Love the boots again.

R
Nov 26, 2007
The HMK Pro boot comes in three main modles:

The Pro: Black with laces
The Pro LE: White with laces

The Pro Boa: Black with single Boa cable
The Pro Boa LE: White with single Boa cable

The Pro Boa Focus: White with dual zone Boa cable

After three seasons in a white boot, I feel fine about my orientation. Although I should ask my wife how she feels about hers after riding in a white boot last year, this could get interesting? :rolleyes:

I only have one ride on the new Pro Boa Focus and I love the adjustability in the two zones. I will post more as I get more time in them.

They do run a size small. Order one size larger then your street shoe and if you are a 1/2 size, go 1 1/2 over your street shoe. (ie, 10 1/2 street is a 12 in the pro boot, IMO)

You can attest to the cold up here.... I ride with the pro black lace up boot. I didnt want the boa system. Laces work better for me. One plus about the HMK boots is that I never got cold feet. That is a big plus for me. Even when I wear my sorel boots my feet get cold. Not the HMK's. People with wider feet (me) will find that the HMK comes in a great wide size that fits me perfectly. I love the boots and will suggest them to anyone. That is the only HMK product that I own, so with everything else... youre on your own.

Went out this afternoon to Turnagain to check conditions and test some of the gear in below 0 temperatures.

On top:
HMK Stealth Jacket (without the inner liner jacket) over the HMK Tech Jacket (windproof) over the mountain light tekvest over a longsleeve wicking layer.

If it was much colder, I would want an extra mid layer over my base layer.

On bottom:
HMK Stealth Pant (without the inner liner pant) over some soft shell windproof pant with a thin wicking layer.

Good as is.

On feet:
HMK Pro Boa Focus with a thin pair of fox river socks.

My feet were warmer then years past. I will check to see if anything has changed in the construction this year.

On hands:
HMK Action gloves.

Great cold weather glove with nice liner.

On head:
Windproof balaclava, no-fog, scott 89xi goggles, HJC helmet (Fly on order)

All fit well and quite warm.

On back:
HMK pack, HMK shovel, HMK probe

Wearing a pack and a vest is new to me, it will take some getting use to!

Under my A**:
2008 REV XP Everest 800R 154 (150 miles and no problems)

I will be testing the Action Jacket and Bibs also in sub 0 temps as well as in wet conditions. All the gear works and functions very well. I even used the ice pick on the shovel handle to chip away the ice from my water bottle after clearing out the foot wells.

Chris

HMK1.jpg HMK.jpg HMK2.jpg

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
Just picked up my stealth jacket, fits nicely under my pack, no bulkyness anywhere, nice...... IMO they need to ditch the liner, but I guess I can use it for something else!!

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I went with the Action stuff. I use the liner as the jacket I wear to work. I only wear them seperate.
Other gear is the BRP Mtn Lite Pants, Ogio Three6 backpack and HMK Pro Boa boot. Gloves range from mechanix, sixsixone, fox, and BRP, I got a pair of each HMK gloves I'll be trying soon. I still haven't found a sock I like though.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Ya they could ditch the liner but there are some guys riding trail and in the frozen tundra that require much more insulation then us mtn guys do. It's a nice extra lightweight jacket for wearing around the shop and DON'T EVER TELL KIRK but it's pretty handy cow chasin' garb as well. (new market?)

B
Dec 21, 2006
It is nice that a company makes gear for us Western riders. The liners are so that HMK can expand the customer base back East. Toss the liner and get the Tech jacket. Thats about all we need out here anyways.

Premium Features