• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hmk Riding Gear Test Report

N
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
How are the HMK packs? I got my brother a Klim pack for Christmas, but its a little small for what he wants to carry in it. Are the HMK packs bigger than the Kilm? Are they waterproof?

Thanks!

P
Mar 25, 2003
Ellensburg, WA
I have had one for 3 years,they are waterproof, don't know if they are bigger (never seen a klim). Only draw back is the holder for the shovel handle (2 velcro straps). If you use the shovel in snowy conditions and open the velcro straps they plug with snow and become ineffective i.e. lose handles. I started putting the handle in tight enough to pull it up through the fasteners and that solved the problem. Never had to use my probe, so it stays put in the fasteners on the other side. All in all, good pack.

I have not had any issues with my pack as a 'day pack'. As a guide, it is small but the features are well thought out and for the average joe, it is just right, IMO.

Verry happy with their new cold weather glove and the stealth coats and pants are still exceeding my expectations in all conditions. The Pro Boa Focus boots rock too!

Chris

D

DARKO

Nov 21, 2007
Kelowna, BC.
I'm suprised this day in age that MFG's are still building/producing outwear with such poor Water pillars and breathability. There's over 70 materials on the market (in Ski, snowboard industry) that have well over 30,000 mm. Theres a Burton Gore material thats 40,000. Yet, i see company's saying "waterproof" but read the fine print and its 10,000 or 15,000 Max. If you ride in the climate like Revy, Golden, Fernie etc has, 10,000 will not cut it. I see Polaris and FXR have stepped up to 20,000 mm pillar and 20,000 mm breathability, just wish these other companies that have some nice designs and good cuts would stop making them with bottom of the barrel materials. We all get bored of the run of the mill Klim stuff, read it daily, feel the same way but i cant see anyone thats had Gore XCR (23,000 + WP & BR) be happy going to a material thats half as good and half as waterproof.

Last edited:

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Don't know what the pillar count is on this product my job is simply to go put it all too the test.

deep deep waist deep to neck deep snow

I wallowed around neck deep powder for the last five days. The ultimate test of sled gear for me is not only with riding but how it performs working your butt off until total exhaustion (sweat) getting people unstuck over and over. Then riding while you are all sweaty. Sweat off or out no wind or wetness trapped or let in. This stuff works great.

(other aspects that I've really appreciated were lots of deep pockets and really good zippers)

Must be stylish as well. Several people we were riding with during the holidays were inquiring about the jackets. I know at least three HMK orders from one group alone.

Also note that each day I ride on the Boa Pro Focus II's they continue to get more and more comfortable. I've been dry, warm, and they have provided me with excellent performance so far. Not missing my last seasons GT's yet.

I am not the least bit sorry that I abandoned KLIM to test HMK's 08 gear.

Premium Features