• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help! Need advice on 09 Summit vs. 09 Renegade

S
Dec 12, 2007
Pewaukee, WI
I currently have an 05 Renegade 600 SDI and am looking to upgrade this year to either an 09 Renegade or 09 Summit.

I live in WI and have ridden for the most part on trails my entire life. Over the past couple of seasons I've ridden off trail and really enjoy any opportunity I find now to do so. However, I've found the Renegade can be a bit lagging at times in deeper snow conditions, so therefore was considering moving to a 146 Summit, preferably the 800.

I do ride trails still, especially when with the family, so I'd say I'm on the trail still about 60% of the time (in Northern WI and UP). What type of trail manners would the Summit have with the 2.25" lug and 146" track on groomed trails? Would I be fighting the machine the entire time while on trail? And snow conditions can a lot of times be minimal in my area.

I also wanted a sled that I could take a trip out west with and not be completely stuck!

All thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

Regards

D
Oct 13, 2008
A 146 summit with the suspension properly set up will handle the trail very well. Depending on where you go out west it will do just ok. Be prepared to get stuck a fair amount in deep powder especially if you are not used to riding in it. Depending on how much you want to start riding off trail I personally would try to find a xp with a 154 on it. It will still be just fine on the trial.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I would stay with the 146" just because your going to ride trails most of the time. I ride a 04 144" 800 and my buddy has a 08 146" xp and we do just fine in the mountains, not going to set the high mark but that's not what we are in to. The longer you go the harder on the hyfaxs you are going to be for trail riding. IMO:beer;

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Just thought of it why not go to skidoos web sight and check out the renagade backcountry, it comes in a 800 and might just be what your looking for.

L
I'm from Milwaukee and have had 2 146" Summits. Loved them both. They have spent plenty of time on the trails of Vilas County and the UP. With the Sway bar in, the Summit will be fantastic for the trails. In my opinion, the 154" is just too long for the twisty trails of Wisconsin, but would be fine for the UP railroad grade trails.

If you are going to spend about the same amount of money either way on a new sled, i would go with the Summit. it is much cheaper to convert that to a trail handle-able sled than turning a Renegade into an offtrail machine.

To make a Summit trail ready:
Ice scratchers ($60)

To make a Renegade off trail worthy (just as my buddy who did it to his - and this is doing it properly of course):
New Track 1.75" or 2" ($500 or maybe $350 used)
New Gears $50
Powder Skis $300
Possibly rail extensions $150

That is the minimum to really have a fun offtrail machine that can "go places"

Once you start going off trail, you stop using the trail system more and more in my opinion. (5 years ago everyone in our riding group had 121" sleds, now the shortest is a 136" with a 2" lug. Everyone else is from 144" to 155" We used to put on 3,000 miles a year, not we average about 1,000. And we still do one or 2 200 mile trail days.

S
Dec 12, 2007
Pewaukee, WI
Thanks for all the feed back guys!

Dootimes2, you say A 146 summit with the suspension properly set up will handle the trail very well." Can you elaborate a bit re: the suspension set up? I'm 6' 185lbs., if that makes any difference.

Cubby, I agree the Backcountry is finally a nice option being offered in the Renegade. IMHO well overdue...as it includes the higher track. However, it's a first year model in 2010. Trying to save $$$ by doing the holdover/noncurrent.

LakeEffect, did you have to make any adjustments to your 146's in terms of clutching or anything in order to make optimal for northern WI/UP? I do most of my riding in Vilas as well, have a place in St. Germain. How bout you, where do you go up there?

L
Suspension setup - I am the same weight as you, probably 210-220 with gear. I rode it the first year completely stock (both the Everest and X package). This year I had the shocks revalved - the factory settings were just waaay to soft. I also removed the sway bar, but it took awhile to get used to it (you will probably not like it at first, but once you are used to it I find it to be a lot more fun to ride) and I primarily ride the UP trails now (we rent an apartment in Mass City, MI). My parents live in Eagle River, WI so I ride there quite a bit too. With the sway bar out, you just go slower in the twisty trails (which also may make things more exciting if you are trail riding with a slow wife and kids in tow).

I bought my sled from Keweenaw Motor Sports in Houghton. With every summit they sell, they include a set of springs and ramps for riding WI/UP and riding at elevation (at elevation comes in the sled stock). I think the "kit" costs $80 or something if you bought it separate. They would install it for you if the sled is still there, otherwise it is a real easy install.

Some videos of our riding style (of course the off trail is more exciting to watch):

Summit #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82wxUymqIHk (the ending was due to the y-pipe falling off, and BRP replaced. I use nordlock washers now)

Summit #2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRiUkGwaXEA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0pPxAcLnhw

D
Oct 13, 2008
Basically the summits are not designed to be trail sleds. They usually have a narrower ski stance ( adjustable though ) different shock calibration and some other minor differences. Set skis to wide setting and adjust rear springs and shocks to make it corner the way you want it without having too much ski pressure. Not much different than any other sled but it may feel different but you will like it once you get used to it. May want to revalve shocks to help with the bumps.

sway bar

if you buy used make sure the sway bar is still there or you may hate it on the trails
we all ride 144 or longer and little or no trail riding so we all pulled the
bars
some of the newer skidoos you can put a disconnect kit on the sway bar
unhook it for off trail performance and reconnect for the trail

Premium Features