• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Heads up..Double check wiring harness routing..

CarbonWerx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2010
Missoula, MT
So the good half and I were out on the mountain yesterday with a group of friends and her '12 800 started running like crap and the gauge quick working. A quick call to the dealer lead us to the fuses that are not ever mentioned in the owner's manual. The center 7.5 amp fuse was blown so we sent a rider back to truck to rob a couple. Put a new fuse in and she started right up and ran great for about 2 hours and then did it again. Figured we better limp it out so I put the second fuse in and it went back to running perfect. About 6 miles into the trip out it blew the fuse again and I had to limp it the rest of the way back to the truck in limp mode (35 - 40 mph and sounding like crap). Got it in the shop today to see if I could find a wire that was pinched or something. Figured it was going to be a real PIA since it was so inconsistent of an issue. Well I pulled the hood and side panels and started looking around at the harness and here is what I found.

Look just below that jackshaft...
2013-01-21 09.40.34.jpg

Here is a closer look. sorry it is so fuzzy but all I had was phone.
2013-01-21 09.38.18.jpg

The bright spot is bare copper reflecting flash. Guess it was randomly touching jackshaft and after 800 miles finaly wore through loom and wire. Checked my sled and the harness under the shaft is pushed down in belly pan about an inch further like it should be. Off to dealer tomorrow for some warranty work.

CarbonWerx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2010
Missoula, MT
Holy Cow!! Just talked to dealer today and he is telling me that he has to replace entire wiring harness to the tune of $500+. Guess arctic cat will not warranty a fix to the harness. They require a complete replacement under the extended warranty. Sure glad we all got that 3 yr warranty as our 1 yr expired on like Jan 2... Didn't realize there is a $50 deductible on the extended warranty Cat gave us. No big deal just didn't realize it.

Aaron

Reactions: SnowBound

Chris6060

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2009
Fort St. John, British Columbia
Yeah. I checked mine. It was out of the way of the jackshaft, but when I had a taillight wire grounding out on the tunnel, I blew that fuse as well. Rode the sled home in limp mode (Who knew a sled could sound SO bad?) and taped up all the wires as a temporary fix and headed back out. Luckily we were just riding locally testing some mods on my buddy's sled (ironically mine was the one with problems) and it wasn't in the mountains.

CarbonWerx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2010
Missoula, MT
Yah it was ironic that ours had the problems that day too. Some friends of friends had just bought a couple 2000ish short track sleds the night before and this was there mayden voyage. I was just sure we were going to be turning wrenches on them at some point and low and behold it was the newest sled in the bunch that crapped the bed on us. Crow doesn't taste so well. Next time I will just keep my pesamistic thoughts to myself.... :frusty:

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
where are these fuses located? just want to know before hand just in case

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
Dug up some photos - At the right front down tube may be a better description of location.

DSC01582.JPG

Remove plastic cover and there are three mini fuses - carry spares with you.
DSC01682.JPG

Reactions: kylant
Premium Features