• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Headed west - Moving - recommendations

Skidoox600

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Hey all,

Looking to move from the Midwest to the Denver area over the summer. I need to stay somewhat close to Denver (About 45 mins or so at the most drive to city) for work. Looking to be west of Denver in a good area (low crime, town with everything I need). I'm looking to buy land, and I will be building a house. Don't want to be in a subdivision, unless has large lots and room to build my shop as well ( needs room for my toys ).

Recommendations on towns to look near or areas to stay away from? I'm really looking for a lot out from town that I can have room but still be close to town if i need to go grab something. Obviously if its out of town need power, water (well drilling ability), cable (internet) etc.

Thanks for all the help!

R
Feb 29, 2016
Hey all,

Looking to move from the Midwest to the Denver area over the summer. I need to stay somewhat close to Denver (About 45 mins or so at the most drive to city) for work. Looking to be west of Denver in a good area (low crime, town with everything I need). I'm looking to buy land, and I will be building a house. Don't want to be in a subdivision, unless has large lots and room to build my shop as well ( needs room for my toys ).

Recommendations on towns to look near or areas to stay away from? I'm really looking for a lot out from town that I can have room but still be close to town if i need to go grab something. Obviously if its out of town need power, water (well drilling ability), cable (internet) etc.

Thanks for all the help!

Well the west side of town becomes the foothills in a hurry. The closer to town the more expensive land like you want is going to be. Further up the hill you can get into some decent wooded lots. The more remote you want to be the more expensive water and power become. Well drilling in the Rockies isn't usually easy or cheap. You can definitely save some by getting into a subdivision since they often already have some of the water and power infrastructure in.

I agree that what may seem attainable in the Midwest, shop, new house, small acreage for a quarter million or so is going to be triple that in Colorado, especially in a desired area like you want. It is going to be expensive and the further from major services you get, the more challenging a 45 min commute will become.

I am not saying it can't be done just that it is much harder than most people realize coming from somewhere else.

I can't give you specific areas but I have a friend that lives outside Nederland, 45 minutes from Boulder on a good day. Beautiful secluded area, somewhat reasonable pricing. Best thing to do is come and explore a lot first. I vacationed here for ten years before moving out from MN. Good Luck

R
Nov 28, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
I am absolutely amazed at how expensive things have gotten out here. Red Mtn was pretty spot on. Typically (always an exception) those who want land and need to remain close to Denver end up on the north or east side of town and even then, deep pockets tend to be the rule. Living in the mountains is awesome - I did it for a couple years and still commuted in to DT Denver daily. It was fine...but I spent a bit of time in a vehicle back then - traffic has only gotten worse here lately. When it snows 15" in the mountains, it might just be cloudy 35 minutes away in the City.

If I were a betting man, based on what you describe, you will fast approach 7 figures. It can definitely be done...it just gets spendy in a hurry with land prices in that area fast approaching 100k/acre. I know that is what land is going for here on the north side of Denver because I just sold 2.5 acres for 250k and people were lining up to pay that.

Good luck...tough to beat living out here for sure.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
..it just gets spendy in a hurry with land prices in that area fast approaching 100k/acre.
Holy crap!

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Agree with what has been posted above already -

My biased suggestion would be to look north. $100k per acre is what lots have been going for in our neighborhood as well.

Driving I-70 on the weekends is a major pain in the a$$. Except for a couple of planned trips that we do each year we don't go up to ride that way anymore. We ride the snowy's mainly - but the drive between Denver and Fort Collins is starting to get pretty painful too on some weekends....

Reactions: LANGER

Skidoox600

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Thanks! Where I live in the Midwest is $$$. Live on the lake and pay 18k a year in just propert taxes so that is a benefit of Colorado less taxes. Kills your monthly payments. Paying 4k a month here for taxes and mortgage is taxing.

theelkhunter

Lifetime Membership
Oct 25, 2015
Falcon, CO
Have you considered looking south. Castle Rock, Colorado Springs, Black Forest area. Might save you some money and still meet your 45 min commute times

R
Feb 29, 2016
Thanks! Where I live in the Midwest is $$$. Live on the lake and pay 18k a year in just propert taxes so that is a benefit of Colorado less taxes. Kills your monthly payments. Paying 4k a month here for taxes and mortgage is taxing.

$4k a month will net you about a $600,000 property. While I suspect that makes for a fairly nice homestead it isn't going to be all the things you listed for that kind of $$. It will probably get you a small lot in a subdivision and a 2500ft sheetrock palace...

A

AMAX

Dec 22, 2014
You might look north of Denver like Johnstown/Firestone. A few acres is expensive anywhere close to the Front Range but less on the east side of I-25 than the west. You can be unloading at Greenrock in the Snowies in 2 hours from Johnstown.

Leaving from Denver, you have that much drive or more to get to similar sledding areas up I-70 and its often a traffic jam on the way down on weekends.

N

nfinit100

Oct 1, 2015
Northern CO
depending on where you work in denver 45 minutes is going to be quite a challenge. If you have to drive i25 during any high volume traffic periods 45 minutes can be good for about a 15 mile radius.

Johnstown to downtown denver is definitely pushing that 45 minute timeframe in traffic that is moving decently. it's about time for me to move to wyoming. too many people here now.

Premium Features