• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Half Track Snowbike build

N
Oct 25, 2020
I'm new to the forum, but have been tinkering with low hp snowbikes for utilitarian slow speed use for a few years. I've built a couple using a 13hp Honda engine.

In my last build, I cut a 136" track with 2" lugs in half lengthwise to make a single rail, 7.5" wide track. On such a low hp bike, the difference was astounding, regarding track speed, efficiency moving through the snow, and the handling was amazing, so nimble. The float was sufficient for 4-6' deep powder with a good base, which surprised me for such low hp. I felt like if I had around 50hp it would do better than a typical Timbersled.

This got me thinking that current snow bike designs using 12" wide tracks might be robbing tons of efficiency, not to mention handling . A 7.5" wide Half Track bike would take way less power to move through the snow, and what you lose in float you would make up for in track speed, lighter weight, and efficiency pushing through the snow.

My last build was fully rigid with no suspension, was bearable to ride on packed trails up to the powder, albeit not super comfy, but was very smooth and fun in the powder.

My next build will have no suspension for simplicity, to save weight, and be sub 200 lbs. I'd like to get the bike down to the 150-175lb range with 50 hp. We'll see how my theory turns out.... flame away, haha.

IMG_20200121_144850.jpg

Last edited:
E
Dec 19, 2007
Nice idea. I have a 10"wide 141 power claw for you. Free. I agree skinny is more efficient but the 10"dual rail tracks rip the side windows and stab rails real easy. If you want low weight and big hp time to ditch the valves and go 2 stroke.

N
Oct 25, 2020
Nice idea. I have a 10"wide 141 power claw for you. Free. I agree skinny is more efficient but the 10"dual rail tracks rip the side windows and stab rails real easy. If you want low weight and big hp time to ditch the valves and go 2 stroke.
Cool, yeah I plan on going to a 2 stroke motor for lightweight power.

N
Oct 25, 2020
Really curious how the track is turned by the tire...
With rubber on rubber traction from tension. You just tension the belt until theres enough traction that the wheel doesnt slip. I rode it to get up on the mountain all last season and it never slipped. But its only 13hp. This was just a quick and dirty crude build to have a running maching as fast an easy as possible. My next machine will be a better build using proper drivers and a better designed monorail track system. Monorail is the way to go IMO because when you lean the bike side to side, the underside of the track stays flat against the snow for better traction and on hard packed snow it feels like a bike with wheels. No getting up on the edges/sides of the track.

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
Im definatly no expert on this but I think the big companies have found that wider tracks are better. yeti went narrow and have gone back to wide. Timbersled went a little narrower but not much. Idk sled history but i thought they do something similar

fgauvin7

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2012

Hi Eric, I would like to see a picture of that track! How it was made to 10in? I assume by cutting an actual powerclaw...

N
Oct 25, 2020
Im definatly no expert on this but I think the big companies have found that wider tracks are better. yeti went narrow and have gone back to wide. Timbersled went a little narrower but not much. Idk sled history but i thought they do something similar
Manufacturers have specific market goals they're after, which doesnt necessarily mean they are building the most capable or most efficient machine. They're building 300 lb - 350 lb machines by retrofitting dirtbikes that are not optimal machines for snow travel by initial design. They're also trying to keep them feeling like dirtbikes so a shorter wider track achieves that vs a longer skinnier track with the same surface area/float. For the specific type of riding I plan on doing, my experience thus far has led me to the conclusion that skinnier is the way to go but we'll see if that changes as I build more machines.

Premium Features