• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Guys I need some Boondocker lessons,help

u have to go old school on the turbos to check for lean

pull power valves and check piston wash, I have a 09 TM901 boonie Rg/PG turbo with a D&D 901 big bore kit, my egt's are high 1360-1380 have seen 1396 flash once, if I enrichen the box to where my egt's are around 1290 WOT it is boggy and runs like crap,, running 50/50 112 and super under 8lbs of boost u must of been really lean, call Junior at boonie's and he should be able to give u some starting numbers, but u definitely need egt's on any turbo sled. good luck, if u Go 900 big bore , I have posted my boost numbers and boonie box numbers in turbo section. I'm running it as a PG with 93 non ethanol, 7-7.5 lbs at 4500-8500

Last edited:
Heres some pic fellas

P3021002.JPG

P3021003.JPG

P3021004.JPG

P3021005.JPG

What do you think? Like I said 50-50 race gas and 91 pump gas, 40:1oil premix, 2200 feet, 8 lbs boost.

View attachment 135141

View attachment 135142

View attachment 135143

View attachment 135144

What do you think? Like I said 50-50 race gas and 91 pump gas, 40:1oil premix, 2200 feet, 8 lbs boost.

I might be all messed up here but it looks to me like you caught a ring on the dark colored piston, then tossed a bunch of junk in the exhaust and caused the damage on the other side. Looks more like stuff bouncing around between the piston and head. Squish should be tightest over the wrist pins, but I have always seem more det damage on the exhaust side of the piston due the higher temps.

Hell I don't know. :face-icon-small-hap

What do the vanes in your turbo look like. :face-icon-small-sho

Thunder

one thing to remember is piston wash is not a reading of whats happining at WOT... its more of an average of whats happening at all different throttle postions... so use piston wash and plug color to determine lean/rich conditions...
i agree with arctic thunder above about debris in your cylinders.. is it possible your pistons had some unknown damage prior to you boosting it?? i am assuming the turbo was recently added?? i would get her back together and use the info in these links to make your adjustments as the new pistons and plugs begin to change color.. there is an overwhelming amount of good info here that should help..

http://www.smellofdeath.com/lloydy/piston_diag_guide.htm

http://www.snowtechmagazine.com/articles/2001/baseline/baseline.php

good luck
this one has a good explanaiton of detonation and how to see early signs of it:

http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/how-to-read-plugs.html

I'm Installing Egts, had A/f guage but its to slow for tunning.
(yeah wyo, like herman said, keep up here bud:face-icon-small-win)

arcticrat, I'm curious why you would say that though?

I've got one turbo with A/F & one with egt... can't say I prefer one over the other. (no, I take that back, I prefer A/F, mostly for the size)

If it were me I'd keep the A/F & just get used to how to use it.
it sounds like this may have been a freak thing, rather than a tuning issue, so I wouldn't be too freaked out.

how does the turbo look though? anything go through it?

Premium Features

Back