• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Guess what my dealer did:(:(:(

R
Nov 27, 2007
Cantaffordus, WA
www.mbhc.net
I am doing some pre-season stuff like cleaning raves, airbox, etc, and I went to take off my reeds to inspect them and I found that a bolt was missing. Got the reed cage out and noticed that someone had broken the bolt off flush and decided just to leave it. I have not touched these since my motor was re-built at my dealer so they must have done it in the engine swap. I know it is too much to ask that they would drill and tap it rather than let me risk having a vacuum leak, but it took me 5 minutes to drill it and take care of it. Makes me wonder what else they skimped on!

Rt

J

JohnnyH

Nov 26, 2007
SL,UT
I am doing some pre-season stuff like cleaning raves, airbox, etc, and I went to take off my reeds to inspect them and I found that a bolt was missing. Got the reed cage out and noticed that someone had broken the bolt off flush and decided just to leave it. I have not touched these since my motor was re-built at my dealer so they must have done it in the engine swap. I know it is too much to ask that they would drill and tap it rather than let me risk having a vacuum leak, but it took me 5 minutes to drill it and take care of it. Makes me wonder what else they skimped on!

Rt

I love a story of a crappy dealer first thing in the morning.

Too many bad dealers out there that make it hard for the good ones.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Cantaffordus, WA
www.mbhc.net
I really don't have anything to prove...I don't know if there was any damage. I don't think so because it ran fine. Although it could definitely cause a lean burn down. I have 1 year left on my warranty so I'm not overly concerned. Just pissed that someone had to have known this happened and did nothing about it and probably just figured I wouldn't be in there to see it anyway. I am going to tell the manager and like I said, I'm not trying to work anything out of it so they can take it or leave it.

Rt

G
Apr 23, 2008
Don't castrate the dealer boys.
DOO uses self tapping screws on the reeds and exhaust flanges.
they are to cheap to tap the cylinder and thread it so the bolt sometimes breaks due to heat from using power tools rather than lubricating and installing by hand SLOWLY.

DOO sucks when it comes to this issue.

Gus:mad:

R
Nov 27, 2007
Cantaffordus, WA
www.mbhc.net
Don't castrate the dealer boys.
DOO uses self tapping screws on the reeds and exhaust flanges.
they are to cheap to tap the cylinder and thread it so the bolt sometimes breaks due to heat from using power tools rather than lubricating and installing by hand SLOWLY.

DOO sucks when it comes to this issue.

Gus:mad:

Sorry, these are not self tapping screws...these are standard fine thread bolts. Not pissed that a bolt broke, I'm pissed that they didn't just take care of it instead of leaving it. I drilled and tapped it in 5 minutes

G
Apr 23, 2008
todd, EVERY skidoo reed cage screw and exhaust flange screw is a self tapping screw.
EVERY skidoo reed area and exhaust flange area is NOT tapped or threaded , thats how they come NEW.
SO every reed screw and every exhaust bolt is cutting its own threads when built at brp, the bolts are stressed and most times will break due to initial installation fatigue.

we all learn something new and wonderfull about skiidoo every day.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Cantaffordus, WA
www.mbhc.net
todd, EVERY skidoo reed cage screw and exhaust flange screw is a self tapping screw.
EVERY skidoo reed area and exhaust flange area is NOT tapped or threaded , thats how they come NEW.
SO every reed screw and every exhaust bolt is cutting its own threads when built at brp, the bolts are stressed and most times will break due to initial installation fatigue.

we all learn something new and wonderfull about skiidoo every day.

Thanks for the info...the dealer must have replaced these with regular bolts because they have flat tips. Either way, the point is mute as they still should have taken care of it.

Premium Features