• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Got back up lights on your trailer?

I went a different route (as usual).

I mounted a flood light under the trailer to light up the tires and the sides for backing up. Also works if you have to change a flat in the dark.

I saw this picture in another post and plan on doing the same thing. Both the flood under the trailer and the loading lights will be switchable from the trailer and come on when the truck is in reverse. I really like the idea of having light available for chaining up or tire change. Have you had an issue with the road grime? Wondering if I should make a mini mud flap to put in front of the light.

I had that concern when I mounted it up in 2007 when I bought the trailer. I haven't seen any reason to add a protect-o-flap in front of it as I have flaps on my pickup so anything flying lower than the flap would have dropped by the time it would get to the light. If you had 2 lights each mounted out wider behind the truck tires or more in line with the trailer tires there might be more risk but I think in the center there isn't too much stuff flying up there.

This is a wide flood light which lights up the snow banks on either side or street curbs so it is pretty handy for backing up and seeing where the tires are headed.

back up lights on trailers work great....If there are mounted on the sides of the trailer, angled 30-45* to the back of the trailer. Lights up where you really need to see. Back up lights on the rear only work well if you also have a back up camera on the trailer. Eric

What I've done is use a 3 way toggle switch in my p/u for the backup lights. One way the backup lights come on normal in reverse (left this way unless I want to switch) and the other way they come on with a flip of the toggle switch. I can turn the backup lights on for both the p/u and trailer w/o having to have the p/u in reverse, nice on a cold night when your warming your vehicle up while your loading sleds and removing sled clothing. I like having this option as there are many times where it comes in handy to be able to have the backup lights turned on.

This would be very handy. So many times I have left the truck off so I could hit the unlock on the key fob to get my BU lights to come on while loading.

I used one of these from Radio Shack

View attachment 260566

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well, I went to radio shack last night and picked up this exact diode. Told the guy what I was doing and he looked at me like I was an idiot and said that this is not for a 12v application. I bought them anyway. Once I find some time to get it all wired up, I will report back.

Thanks for all of the help.

The pics don't do justice obviously, but the total of 4 back-up lights I have on my trailer do a very nice job of letting me see exactly where I am going, and what is beside me. I do a lot of night time driving, so these are essential to safe maneuvering after the sun goes down. As stated, they just wire in to the factory harness.

100_7276.jpg 100_7266.jpg 100_7418.jpg

20151126_172151.jpg

Just made it inside. Those diodes work great! I think this will make things a bit easier in the darkness. Thanks for everyone's help!

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back