• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Got back up lights on your trailer?

So i was thinking of installing some back up lights on my the back of my trailer. Has anyone done this?

If so, what lights did you go with and how did you wire them up?

Post pics if you got them

THanks

I was just thinking about this last Saturday. I don't have any reverse lights but wouldn't mind installing some. Curious to see the people that have em chime in here.

if using a 7 way plug theres a pin for the reverse lights. May have to rig up something on the trailers wiring harness to run the lights but it should be there from the tow vehicle.

I put back up lights on my last trailer as well as the new one. Like ovscrider said, if your tow rig & trailer have seven pin plugs all you need to do is run a wire to the lights from your trailer plug.

I use the trucker utility flood lights from NAPA (that's not a brand, it's just the type you see mounted on the headache racks of most semi's). They are cheap, durable, and self grounding if you bolt them to a grounded metal surface. Go to the Dowling road store and go into the truck/traction entrance and they will know exactly what you are looking for. It is a black rubber housing with a mount base and a replaceable sealed bulb that looks like a small round 1970's era headlight. If you go in the automotive side you'll pay 3 times as much for something similar. They come in handy when backing up for sure, even though they are almost useless for me backing up my 40' trailer, it gives whoever is guiding me plenty of good light to see by and they're nice to use as loading lights too. I wired mine so I can also turn them on via a switch just inside my trailer as well.

I put back up lights on my last trailer as well as the new one. Like ovscrider said, if your tow rig & trailer have seven pin plugs all you need to do is run a wire to the lights from your trailer plug.

I use the trucker utility flood lights from NAPA (that's not a brand, it's just the type you see mounted on the headache racks of most semi's). They are cheap, durable, and self grounding if you bolt them to a grounded metal surface. Go to the Dowling road store and go into the truck/traction entrance and they will know exactly what you are looking for. It is a black rubber housing with a mount base and a replaceable sealed bulb that looks like a small round 1970's era headlight. If you go in the automotive side you'll pay 3 times as much for something similar. They come in handy when backing up for sure, even though they are almost useless for me backing up my 40' trailer, it gives whoever is guiding me plenty of good light to see by and they're nice to use as loading lights too. I wired mine so I can also turn them on via a switch just inside my trailer as well.

See thats what i wanted, was a switch so i could turn them on when i wanted them on.

What did you use for wiring. Do i need a relay and what not.

Since you are local, think you could lend a hand if i need help???? Please :D

See thats what i wanted, was a switch so i could turn them on when i wanted them on.

What did you use for wiring. Do i need a relay and what not.

Since you are local, think you could lend a hand if i need help???? Please :D

Take some pics if you end up doing it. I'd like to see what you did so I can decide if I want to do it or not.

Best bet is to meet up some time and I'll show you how to do it. All you need is some 14 gauge wire, a switch, a relay, and the lights. It's not that complicated so I know once I show you you'll be able to do it. If you still need help after I show you I'll be glad to, but my free time is limited. PM me your # and I'll call you so we can GTG.

Matt

Last edited:
Hey Nick,

I have back up lights on my four place as well. I have had them on there for several years now. Best thing I ever did. Well that, and I also mounted a pole up front about 6 ft up with a big spot on it. Like was said here already, I have a 7 pole plug in on the truck so it was a piece of cake to wire. The backup lights were already live to the plug so I just had to run one wire the length of the trailer to hook up the back up lights. Mine come on anytime I am in reverse and I like it that way. Then there is the "pole light" or loading light. That swivels and pivots any where I care to point it. That one is switched at the pole. Once again, On the 7 pole on the truck, there is a live hot wire to charge a trailer or camper battery. That is the wire that I use to power this light. Even better, is that this wire is only live when the truck it running, so I can not got a dead battery by either forgetting to turn it off, or have some joker in the parking lot turn it on while I am not around. Go for it Nick. I would gladly help you out if we were closer to each other.:beer;

My United came with backup lights. It has a clear light recessed in above the regular tailights. Its the same type of 2X5 or so oval recessed light. They are actually pretty bright and definitely helps with backing up in the dark. I'd like to add a couple brighter lights in the back for when we are loading up in the dark. Might mount a couple small foglights I have from a sled I had mesh hood on in the corners of the rear door opening.

For backup lights, I used the headlights off of an old Polaris wheeler I parted out. The ones under the front rack. They work great. Flexable mounting and good wide bright beam. For the spotlight, it is a 100watt work lamp Seems most of the winter we both unload, and load up in the dark here. Atleast one end of the day.

I put some back up lights on my trailer this summer when I re-decked it... really glad I did it, they are very bright I have found out as I have been using the trailer for moving some other stuff around the past week in the dark and they are very nice to see where I am going! I just picked em up at our local trailer parts store, typical oval truck lights. I think they cost about $15 each. Like stated above, just had to run a wire the length of the trailer and hook into the center pin on the 7 pin harness, easy to do:D

100_2862.jpg

100_2878.jpg

Best bet is to meet up some time and I'll show you how to do it. All you need is some 14 gauge wire, a switch, a relay, and the lights. It's not that complicated so I know once I show you you'll be able to do it. If you still need help after I show you I'll be glad to, but my free time is limited. PM me your # and I'll call you so we can GTG.

Matt

Thanks Matt, sounds like a plan.

Tim: Thanks for the offer. I remeber your pole light. But i have an enclosed so loading at night i jsut turn on the the interior lights and that works for me, but then again some light light up there at the top of the "V" aimed down would work good for hooking and what not.

How to wire the Same light as both reverse and loading

Can someone explain to me how I would wire my current loading lights that are on a switch from my trailer battery to also being available as my reverse lights? I was planning on having the same lights come on when the truck is in reverse, but also want them available as a switchable loading light as they are now. I see here above that I need some kind of relay wired to do this? Can anyone provide some guidance? Maybe a rough wiring diagram?
Thanks in advance.

I just did this to mine. I just ran the reverse light wire to the load side of the switch. So when the switch is open (load lights off) the reverse feed from the truck turns the lights on.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've done this a couple times. LED Backup lights make great loading lights also. I use a standard 5 pin automotive relay.

Pin 30 goes to the Lights
Pin 87a goes to the backup wire + coming from the truck
Pin 87 & Pin 85 get jumpered together and go to power coming from a switch
Pin 86 goes to ground.

You should be able to use power from Accessory pin on the 7 pin plug to run your switch if you don't have a battery in your trailer already. Then the key in the pickup just needs to be in the run position. If you do it without a relay and just run a second set of power to the lights it will back feed to the pickup and turn the backup lights on.

412U+tGcq9L.jpg

Last edited:
I've done this a couple times. LED Backup lights make great loading lights also. I use a standard 5 pin automotive relay.

Pin 30 goes to the Lights
Pin 87a goes to the backup wire + coming from the truck
Pin 87 & Pin 85 get jumpered together and go to power coming from a switch
Pin 86 goes to ground.

You should be able to use power from Accessory pin on the 7 pin plug to run your switch if you don't have a battery in your trailer already. Then the key in the pickup just needs to be in the run position. If you do it without a relay and just run a second set of power to the lights it will back feed to the pickup and turn the backup lights on.
I forgot to mention, that in mine as described in my post, I soldered a diode into the wire from the truck reverse lights to prevent the back feed to the truck. Simpler, cheaper, and cleaner than a relay, IMO.

99dc189b5800b7d45c2da0ade8cb0d89.jpg

Last edited:
What I've done is use a 3 way toggle switch in my p/u for the backup lights. One way the backup lights come on normal in reverse (left this way unless I want to switch) and the other way they come on with a flip of the toggle switch. I can turn the backup lights on for both the p/u and trailer w/o having to have the p/u in reverse, nice on a cold night when your warming your vehicle up while your loading sleds and removing sled clothing. I like having this option as there are many times where it comes in handy to be able to have the backup lights turned on.

I forgot to mention, that in mine as described in my post, I soldered a diode into the wire from the truck reverse lights to prevent the back feed to the truck. Simpler, cheaper, and cleaner than a relay, IMO.

99dc189b5800b7d45c2da0ade8cb0d89.jpg

Thanks, I'm not real familiar with diodes. Any chance you can link the right diode that would work? Something like this? https://www.radioshack.com/products/3-amp-400v-diodes?variant=5717579653
Using 12 gauge wire. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I went a different route (as usual).

I mounted a flood light under the trailer to light up the tires and the sides for backing up. Also works if you have to change a flat in the dark.

Premium Features

Back