• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gen 4 Turbo Expert STARVING FOR AIR in Deep Pow.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Help me out here guys.
My Gen4 Turbo Expert suffers from MAJOR AIR STARVATION in deep pow.
I can often see 18" of snow on the hood covering all of the air intakes and the engine is STRUGGLING TO BREATH.

Suggestions on getting MORE AIR into the engine when its buried?

Is it time to go back to an old fashioned SNORKEL??

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
Good luck, the more dense the snow the worse it is. Ran the extreme air vents last season and they don’t change anything but durability. The g5 is better but it’s still a problem. I have learned to use my left hand as a hood wiper on the deep days. I have ridden 10-15 of those kinds of days this year and probably the same amount in the two years I had my 2020.5 turbo and I’ve gotten used to the process wipe the hood and pack around the muffler and front end just to get moving again.

Two things that might work that I haven’t tried yet; five25 is a new company in Alberta that makes a isa bypass for the G4’s with lightweight hood and also I would think a race can would help because sleds tend to be more responsive with them on.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I put this on my gen 4, however I haven’t rode it in the deep condions. I had the rest of his intake vents, but added these recently

Gen 4 Turbo / Expert XTRA Air Intake Kit POLY 2020.5-2022​

Regular price$47.50

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Good luck, the more dense the snow the worse it is. Ran the extreme air vents last season and they don’t change anything but durability. The g5 is better but it’s still a problem. I have learned to use my left hand as a hood wiper on the deep days. I have ridden 10-15 of those kinds of days this year and probably the same amount in the two years I had my 2020.5 turbo and I’ve gotten used to the process wipe the hood and pack around the muffler and front end just to get moving again.

Two things that might work that I haven’t tried yet; five25 is a new company in Alberta that makes a isa bypass for the G4’s with lightweight hood and also I would think a race can would help because sleds tend to be more responsive with them on.

So I tried the Left Hand wiper manuver multiple times, and each time I did that I ended up off my sled!
Freaking snow was SO DEEP I couldn't steer the sled well with only one hand.:)

From your intake vents, down to the boost box, there is a lot of plastic and piping, much of which hold poor flow characteristics and additional weight. Similar to an aftermarket intake on your vehicle - with the ISA DELETE you can hear more turbo intake noise (which we all love). There is more open air under the hood (which means lower under hood temps). As well as better flow characteristics for your engine, all while looking ****ing cool.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The best fix for a Gen4 starving for air is a Gen5. Sorry Christopher!
Well, as you know I have already placed my order for a Gen5.
So I will get to find out if that really solves the issue or not next season.
Meanwhile.
I have a matched pair of Gen4 Turbos that are both SUCKING WIND HARD in deep snow.

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Rode some really deep days over the hood and didn’t really have much issues with my 2 22 turbos. Have to clear the vents alot but not a bad problem to have.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Here is a short video of a recent ride from Monday.
apart from all the snow in the lens, you can quickly see just how much snow builds up on the sled dash total covering over the intake vents.

((Uploading this to Youtube in UHD 4K as I make this post, may take a few minutes before it becomes available to watch))
Note: this is UNEDITED RAW footage

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Rode some really deep days over the hood and didn’t really have much issues with my 2 22 turbos. Have to clear the vents alot but not a bad problem to have.
I found I just couldn't keep them cleared to save my life.
As fast as I took a hand swipe the next pile would be right back on top.
AND I found I was doing a PISS POOR job of steering the sled in deep snow under full boost with only one hand.
Ended up rolling the sled over several times trying to perfect that maneuver!!:)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This Video does an even better job.
I think you can HEAR the engine at WIDE OPEN THROTTLE just NOT getting the air it Wants/Needs.
Skip ahead to Minute 4:20

((Uploading this to Youtube in UHD 4K as I make this post, may take a few minutes before it becomes available to watch))
Note: this is UNEDITED RAW footage

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Was it heavy wet snow? Then next ride will be crap snow and you will wishing for the powder problems. Mine never bogged enough to stop me before i could clear them. We need to mount a powder wiper like a windshield wioer. Haha

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Was it heavy wet snow? Then next ride will be crap snow and you will wishing for the powder problems. Mine never bogged enough to stop me before i could clear them. We need to mount a powder wiper like a windshield wioer. Haha
No, it was pretty light and fluffy.
Give those two videos another 5 minutes and they should be viewable in LOW-RES.
You tube says its processing the 4K display now.

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Looks like high humidity and moisture in that snow making it stick more then usual. Usually more dry powder over here. Maybe try some cooking spray on vents??

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Looks like high humidity and moisture in that snow making it stick more then usual. Usually more dry powder over here. Maybe try some cooking spray on vents??
as the day wore on I definitely had to scrape away the ICE that built up on all the vents.

Premium Features