• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

gearing on 156" 02 700 rmk

I wave a 02 700 rmk running a 156 with an slp pipe. I will start with slps recomended clutching unless someone has something better, what should I be running for gearing at 8-10k in the snowies? I dont remember what I ran last year at altitude but I have in my notes that someone recomended 19/39. Does this sound right?

19-39 is pretty much standard on the edge chassis. Many people change to either a 42 or 43 tooth bottom gear. You'll get lot's of different opinions on whether to re-gear or not. On my modded 800 I have nothing but positives to say re-gearing to a 43t bottom gear. On my wife's 700 I'm not as convinced.

Leave it at 19/39, which is stock and go ride. The 156x2 doesn't have so much hook as to cause belt heat issues. Anything 159 or under by 2" I never gear down.

sled_guy

I ran a 20/43 in my old Edge. 74 pitch chain, the combo ate up all the slack in the chain and you had to grind the heel of the chain tension a bit to fit a 43 bottom gear in the chaincase.

Now, after a few seasons with the 43 bottom, I noticed a bit of marking on the inside of my chaincase from the chain hitting it around the bottom gear area. If you don't realize how much a driveshaft flexes, running a 43 gear will bring it to light pretty quick.

A 19/43 = 2.26 ratio, a 20/43 = 2.15...

Looking back I personally think the 2.00 ratio was actually the best. I'd run a 21/42 with a 74 pitch (yes, this DOES fit the chain, takes a bit of work to get it into the chaincase) the 2.00 ratio is nice, and having more top gear teeth makes everything live longer. Take a look at a 19 or 18 tooth top gear in a sled with a bit of power and track and they get ate up fast, the gear teeth are marred quickly by the chain due to the load on fewer teeth engaging.

Gearing down increases the mechanical advantage. If you do not change clutching to accomodate for this then you will not see the gains gearing down offers.

I run 18-41 ona 700 144 and it works very well.

Premium Features

Back