• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gearing of 2021 Khaos Quickdrive (163) vs QD2

K
Nov 20, 2020
Hey Yall!

I'm switching over to Polaris after 15 years of Doo. I have a 2021 Khaos 163 on the way. I have always geared down my sled for low-end grunt in technical terrain, and I'm wondering if my sled will come with the same low gearing people are loving on the QD2. I know (or think) the chaincase the QD2 replaces had higher gearing than QD1, but I don't know how QD2 and QD1 compare.

If the QD1 on my 163" is higher gearing (I've been told it's higher, lower, and the same by different shops LOL) can I "gear it down" somehow? I'm guessing that would take replacing one of the gears AND the belt, if that's even possible.

Cheers,
Jay

7065924_06142_2021-polaris-rmk-khaos_001.png

09snopro

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2008
Shelley, ID
It will be geared higher then the new QD2. You have a variety of choices. First you could try and find a gear set and belt from a QD2 and install them. Second you could get the gears and belt from the older pro (not axys) and go that route. Third you could go with the Kurt Gear Down kit from Kurt’s Polaris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K
Nov 20, 2020
It will be geared higher then the new QD2. You have a variety of choices. First you could try and find a gear set and belt from a QD2 and install them. Second you could get the gears and belt from the older pro (not axys) and go that route. Third you could go with the Kurt Gear Down kit from Kurt’s Polaris.

Ugggh, still gearing down in 2021? ...and it sounds a lot more expensive. I'll order the QD2 gear set and belt.

Thanks guys

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Jay poo guys like tall gearing for some reason. Was on doo for years as well. My doo i ran 21-53(and 25/63 when i went tki). So calculating driver sizes on poo vs doo i ended up with 26/63 with tki. Same ratio i had on my doo overall and its awesome. Qd2 will equal 28/63 tki..

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
The Promised Land……..
you'll get accustomed to easier wrenching! I was blown away how easy changing spark plugs and working under the hood of a sled can be after about 10 years on a doo..
Not to mention all the parts requiring special tools.

press fit bogey wheels on the lower shock shaft.

press fit brake disc requiring a puller

secondary clutch incorporated into the shaft.

removing the pipe to access A Arm bolts for a simple change.

every time a guy in the group has any issue with his G4 it’s an abandon and return or Tow out situation.

TDR

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2012
Ugggh, still gearing down in 2021? ...and it sounds a lot more expensive. I'll order the QD2 gear set and belt.

Thanks guys

Given the cost of that gear and the belt you might look at a TKI belt drive. The belts are 1/3 of the QD2 and very easy to change. Just another option.

Reactions: kootsrider
K
Nov 20, 2020
Given the cost of that gear and the belt you might look at a TKI belt drive. The belts are 1/3 of the QD2 and very easy to change. Just another option.

I’ll check it out, but I don’t want to give anyone an excuse to not warrantee potential drive line issues later...

Rock Hound

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Central Mn
So I am putting a 165" with a set of 3.5" drivers in a 2020 Khaos. Do you guys still say use the QD2 setup or a different ratio with a TKI setup?

Thanks in advance.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
So I am putting a 165" with a set of 3.5" drivers in a 2020 Khaos. Do you guys still say use the QD2 setup or a different ratio with a TKI setup?

Thanks in advance.
i am doing the same and going with the QD2. For me, getting the single sprocket and belt was significantly cheaper than going with TKI. I have had a TKI in the past and it was great

T
Nov 11, 2008
I’ll check it out, but I don’t want to give anyone an excuse to not warrantee potential drive line issues later...

Is your 163 going to be a 2.6 track? I am assuming it is or it would most likely be a chaincase for the 3”.

Personally I would ride it stock before committing money to gearing it down. Stock gearing is better suited to the 155 but it’s not the end of the world on a 163 2.6.

In the kootenays the snow can be a little lighter and stay powdery vs coastal or some southern areas and you can get away with a little taller gearing.

It is true the QD2 belt and bottom pulley is near the cost of a aftermarket gear down. I like the TKI with an adjuster vs a tighter Kurt’s set up but both are proven to be good products.

TDR

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2012
Is your 163 going to be a 2.6 track? I am assuming it is or it would most likely be a chaincase for the 3”.

Personally I would ride it stock before committing money to gearing it down. Stock gearing is better suited to the 155 but it’s not the end of the world on a 163 2.6.

In the kootenays the snow can be a little lighter and stay powdery vs coastal or some southern areas and you can get away with a little taller gearing.

It is true the QD2 belt and bottom pulley is near the cost of a aftermarket gear down. I like the TKI with an adjuster vs a tighter Kurt’s set up but both are proven to be good products.

Yep price out that gear and the new belt. The belts are crazy priced. Just about at same cost as TKI kit.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
On a regular 163, 2.6 - you will really like having a gear down. No matter how you do it, doesn't matter. Just getting the RPM's up sooner makes it a whole new ball game for tight turns in all terrain.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
The stock axys gears are way higher than the stock cat or doo gearing. IMO the lower gearing GB makes a huge difference for technical mountain riding whether it’s a 155 or 163

Premium Features