• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gear down kit? My pro rmk is topping out in the 90s.

Just wondering. I would gladly give up 20 or 30 mph top speed for more power in the bottom end. Currently my pro rmk 163 is topping out in the 90s I would like to have it in the 60s or 70s for more bottom end power. I have the mtntk drop and roll belt drive which you can changed pulleys for different gear ratios. Should I change it? I ride the trees most the time with some hill climbs sometimes. Just ride trails to get to riding places. Will I have to put different weights in if I gear down? Pros and cons. What you guys think?

I've got Kurt's Gear Down on my 2019.
I've got TKI on my 2013.

Definitely a good idea.
Cooler clutches.
Don't need 90mph track speed.

Depending on how low you go and what motor you have, I found that I needed a steeper helix to load the motor down low to take advantage of the lower gearing on my khoas 850. I went with the TKI belt drive with a 2.52:1 ratio. I went from the stock 42 helix to a 60/42/.36 helix and it gave me my bottom end back and feels much more "grunty". However on my 800 axys, I went to a 2.32 gear ratio and didn't change the helix as it didn't effect that motor the same.

It’s on a 13 800 pro rmk with a MTNTK full mod kit it also has the MTNTK drop and roll kit where I can adjust the pulley sizes for different gearing. It’s strong but I feel like if I gear it down I could get a lot more track speed quicker though the trees.

Just counted what the gear ratio on the MTNTK drop and roll belt drive right now and it’s a 58 bottom and a 26 top pulleys. Is that a pretty good ratio for mountain riding? I think it turns out to be a 2.23:1.

Your getting into the 90's (mph) with 2.23 gearing? impressive! At what RPM? You said you have a drop and roll. Do you have the stock driver on?
The 2.23 gearing is lower than stock (2.1) but not by much.
I don't know what elevation you ride at but 2.5:1 works well. That is assuming your ride above 8,000'.
Clutching weights should not need changing. Die hard Poo is correct that you may need to change to a steeper helix. The secondary is torque
sensing, and when you gear down it sees less torque. The cons are you may need a different helix, and less top speed. Pros are better bottom end performance,
better belt life.

It’s the 8 tooth drives that I think that’s what they come stock. Stock 2.4 163 inch track. Don’t know why it gets going so fast. Maybe I’ll see what’s pulleys are available to get lower gearing. Yeah I ride 6-8k feet. Idaho. I get going 90 on a wide open trail wide the F open. Probably shouldn’t try it again.

Realy puts the hurt on them cats that top out 65. Some times it fun stretch the legs out any chance your speedo could be reading wrong?

Premium Features

Back