• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fox 1.5 Zero QS vs Velocity for khaos

t30mg

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2010
Brush Prairie Wa
Anyone have real experience with the Burandt Fox 1.5 Coil overs on an Axys?
I'm wondering if they are on par or better than the stock Velocity shocks on the Khaos?

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
I've used both and prefer the Velocities. I found the Fox shocks undervalved and easy to bottom out. Could've changed the valving or gone with a heavier oil (didn't need stiffer springs), but the Velocities are good as-is.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I prefer the QS3 and lockout feature on the fox vs the hi/lo tons of clicks on the velocities.

I've run all of them and the fox coils for last winter were slightly undersprung and valved for some riders they were incredibly plush and again i really like the ease of adjustment. Talking with Fox team sounds like they did update spring and valving slightly this year to better suit more aggressive or heavier riders.

I wouldnt pull velocities off for coils ( i would for the airs) but compared to mono tube shocks I would put them on vs velocities.

P
Jan 31, 2010
Klamath Falls, OR.
I had Fox Floats a few years back and I wasn’t overly impressed with them. But like anything I am sure they are better now. I was going to get the Fox 1.5 coils. Are the Floats a big upgrade over them or not really?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I had Fox Floats a few years back and I wasn’t overly impressed with them. But like anything I am sure they are better now. I was going to get the Fox 1.5 coils. Are the Floats a big upgrade over them or not really?
It's a little bit of a preference and what you expect out of your shocks. This has some good into on the comparison between the latest coil and air models: https://foxacademy.ridefox.com/2021/02/choosing-between-lightweight-coil-air-sled-shocks/
Having bypass grooves inside should make the ride different than what you experienced before. Should be smoother over mid-sized trail chop than older versions.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I personally really like how the air shocks ramp up in pressure vs a linear rate spring. Between that and the bypass they are pretty damn cush in small stuff and eat big hits really well. If your not a 225+ pound guy and dont do anything besides tree ride and small little jumps i think the coils are better suited though.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Been running multiple evol floats on different RMKs since 2012. The range of adjustability is big, of course; once you find your ski settings, you don't really change ski setup. Once aired at winter temps at elevation, pressure changes are very small. Only shock that gets pressure change regularly for conditions is RTS. One point not mentioned - float seals do fail - I have had multiple seals get leaky, and once had a complete flat over the off season, even tho I do have them completely rebuild/recharged every two seasons, to the tune of +85US/shock. If on a long trip, a set of backups are always in the trailer. Will start running velocities on a Khaos slash this season, but if fronts or rears don't cut it after a few hundred miles, will move to QS3's, next.

Premium Features